Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Travel Tips & Trip Ideas (https://www.fodors.com/community/travel-tips-and-trip-ideas/)
-   -   What kind of thing will you take with you on a trip? (https://www.fodors.com/community/travel-tips-and-trip-ideas/what-kind-of-thing-will-you-take-with-you-on-a-trip-1663472/)

gowardtoli Feb 9th, 2019 02:36 AM

What kind of thing will you take with you on a trip?

I wondered what your suitcase consists of. I always take a camera with me, otherwise without it is not a journey. What do you take with you on various trips?

RoamsAround Feb 9th, 2019 06:20 AM

Less clothes, more money!

suze Feb 9th, 2019 08:00 AM

My suitcase has clothes, shoes, toiletries, books. Depends on the type of trip, sometimes I take a laptop, sometimes a digital camera.

I think most people travel with a smartphone these days.

willit Feb 13th, 2019 03:02 AM

Top of my packing list: Kindle, Camera, Hiking boots, Immodium.
Small backpack normally contains clothes for a week (I'll only take a larger back if an extended stay if I am unable to get an apartment with a washing machine)

kja Feb 13th, 2019 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by gowardtoli (Post 16870519)
I always take a camera with me, otherwise without it is not a journey.

I now always take a camera, but I didn't own a camera when I took my first 4 international trips. And my memories are no less vivid despite that lack.

mekatebrown2 Feb 13th, 2019 09:32 PM

There are many things to carry with youbut main thing is where you are going. Important items to carry are Passport, EU Adapters, Phone charger/portable phone charger, Waterproof mac, Sleeping bag liner, Camera, Medicines etc

Regards

katepcoss Feb 16th, 2019 01:59 PM

My suitcase always contains clothes, shoes, underwear! Depending on where you go of course, some accessories would be nice too.
  1. Phone & charger
  2. Lap top & charger
  3. GoPro & charger
  4. Ipod shuffle & charger
  5. Universal plug
  6. Medicine, tums, aspirin, ibuprofen, supplements, bandages...insect repellent!
  7. Toiletries is a must!
  8. Epilator or disposable razors
  9. Tweezers, scissors, cosmetics
  10. Allergy cream
  11. Bikini
  12. Sunbathing cream
  13. Travel pills, Dramamine
  14. ALL necessary documents (passport, ID, credit cards, some cash)
  15. EARPLUGS and EYE MASK ( trust me on this one)
  16. I don't go anywhere without my Turkish coffee
  17. 1 book
  18. MY HAPPY MOOD :cool:

liamcolowany Feb 26th, 2019 04:46 AM

I would like to take my camera to take fantastic photos while touring around tourist destinations. I would also take a lot in money, some of them in cash and the rest will be on my credit card in order not to lose my money. I definitely won't forget my medicine as I'm not sure that I'll find the same kind of medicine that I'm used to in the country that I'm traveling to and last but not least, I'll take my beloved wife who shares the best moments of life with me.

blaire25 Mar 1st, 2019 04:26 AM

A few must have's - camera, extra money, my tieks shoes, toiletries, necessary documents.

alexfisher50 Mar 1st, 2019 10:38 AM

Just the most necessary things, as few as possible. My camera and lenses take a lot of space, but I can't do without it

tomfuller Mar 3rd, 2019 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by alexfisher50 (Post 16880826)
Just the most necessary things, as few as possible. My camera and lenses take a lot of space, but I can't do without it

I have 2 small Nikon S2's I keep one in a case on my belt which is much more handy in case I encounter a great picture opportunity. The S2 has a toggle to go from wide angle to telephoto and a switch to turn on the flash for close pictures. The batteries and storage cards are interchangeable with several other Nikon models.

whitehall Mar 4th, 2019 05:47 PM

Don’t forget your antibacterial wipes like Clorox, Lysol or Wet Wipes to clean your airplane/train/bus seat, armrest, tray table, seat belt, and air vent, etc. It can be worse than a toilet.

kja Mar 4th, 2019 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by whitehall (Post 16882456)
Don’t forget your antibacterial wipes

According to the American Medical Association, antibacterial wipes encourage the development of antibiotic-resistant bacteria ("superbugs," which are an increasing thread to health) and so should be avoided. Please don't use them on airlines or any where else!

jamesclarke Mar 4th, 2019 10:14 PM

Carry your original and duplicate legal document first like visa , Id proof

whitehall Mar 5th, 2019 04:25 AM

Originally Posted by kja (Post 16882460)
According to the American Medical Association, antibacterial wipes encourage the development of antibiotic-resistant bacteria ("superbugs," which are an increasing thread to health) and so should be avoided. Please don't use them on airlines or any where else!

From : Time Magazine: "Dr. Charles Gerba, microbiologist at the University of Arizona, (says) that the (airplane) trays he’s tested through research have had cold viruses, human parainfluenza viruses, norovirus (which can cause diarrhea and vomiting) and the superbug MRSA, which causes skin infections."

There are always choices to be made, and lots of disagreements even among medical professionals. And, yes, we limit our wipes only to travel. We just opt not to travel in a toilet if we can avoid it. “In the meantime, to avoid eating dinner off a tray that someone piled used tissues or changed a baby’s diaper on just hours earlier, wipe it down with a sanitizing wipe,” Dr. Michael Zimring, director of travel medicine at Baltimore’s Mercy Medical Center, tells TIME. (I wonder if Dr. Zimring is a member of the AMA or if anyone in his hospital uses antibacterial products).

Although I mentioned brands many people use and are happy with, we personally look for friendlier, less chemical versions, such as one from Seventh Generation. At home, where we have some measure of control, we use a plain old bar of soap or other simple non-toxic cleaning products.

thursdaysd Mar 5th, 2019 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by kja (Post 16882460)

I'm sorry, but this is not necessarily practical. I take medication which suppresses my immune system and without the medication I would not be able to travel. At home I use Purell on my hands (or just wash them) and I don't use wipes, but on a plane (and in a hotel) I am certainly going to use wipes, and not just on the tray. (BTW, turns out that the most germ-ridden thing you will encounter on a plane trip is the check-in screen. I try to avoid similar screens in normal life, too.)

kja Mar 5th, 2019 05:05 PM

I didn't mention the exception to the rule: :( Of course, any one who has a compromised or suppressed immune system should work with his/her physician to come up with a plan to support his or her health!

But for the rest of us, there is really no reason to use a wipe that includes an antibacterial substance when there are many alternatives that are as effective at killing germs -- alternatives that use soap, alcohol, bleach, or other substances to sanitize the surface without promoting the growth of superbugs. I would think that we would all benefit from actions that limit the growth of antibacterial-resistant bacteria, including -- and perhaps particularly -- those who have compromised immune systems.

whitehall Mar 5th, 2019 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by kja (Post 16882911)
But for the rest of us, there is really no reason to use a wipe that includes an antibacterial substance when there are many alternatives that are as effective at killing germs -- alternatives that use soap, alcohol, bleach, or other substances to sanitize the surface without promoting the growth of superbugs. I would think that we would all benefit from actions that limit the growth of antibacterial-resistant bacteria, including -- and perhaps particularly -- those who have compromised immune systems.

A lot of disinfectant wipes are mostly alcohol. I didn't hear what you bring as your alternative to the cesspool of an airplane. I will go with the travel doctor I quoted.

kja Mar 5th, 2019 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by whitehall (Post 16882919)
A lot of disinfectant wipes are mostly alcohol. I didn't hear what you bring as your alternative to the cesspool of an airplane. I will go with the travel doctor I quoted.

Great! Please note that the travel doctor you quoted referred to sanitizing wipes, not antibacterial wipes. :)

travelfar2019 Mar 6th, 2019 02:45 PM

Travelsafe

i always bring the pacsafe. Check it out. Very good if your somewhere without a safety box or even at the beach. awesome!