Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Travel Tips & Trip Ideas (https://www.fodors.com/community/travel-tips-and-trip-ideas/)
-   -   What kind of Laptop should I take Travelling with me? (https://www.fodors.com/community/travel-tips-and-trip-ideas/what-kind-of-laptop-should-i-take-travelling-with-me-938154/)

loopcomputerreuse Jun 7th, 2012 03:27 AM

What kind of Laptop should I take Travelling with me?

Hello There..

I am looking to do a big around the world trip, so am looking at Europe, Asia, Africa, Australia and possibly the States..

I want to take a Laptop travelling with me as I know they can be very useful to have.

Does any one recommend what kind of Laptop I should go for and what kind of price I should be looking at paying. I do not want to pay lots for one, but would like a reliable machine, that is basic but does the job.

Thanks,

Lauren :)

Iowa_Redhead Jun 7th, 2012 05:58 AM

I prefer to take a netbook or iPad for space/weight reasons. There's nothing I need to do when traveling that my little Asus netbook hasn't been able to handle and many people swear by the iPad.

It just depends on what you need it for.

suze Jun 7th, 2012 02:20 PM

I don't travel with any electronics. If I need a computer or internet, I go to an internet cafe.

DebitNM Jun 7th, 2012 04:56 PM

What are you going to use the computer for; email, research on internet? OR will you need to do work on it, requiring office programs and a cd/dvd drive?? Your uses will help determine what computer you need and what it will cost.

Lynn_Brown Jun 7th, 2012 09:09 PM

a simple netbook does the job. while its not heavy you can bring it anywhere with you. The same basic programs can be installed so you can work or use it for recreation.

thursdaysd Jun 8th, 2012 06:08 AM

suze - internet cafes are a vanishing breed in some parts of the world.

I've traveled with an ASUS netbook and an iPad. I prefer working with the netbook, but the iPad is lighter.

DebitNM Jun 8th, 2012 06:11 AM

I have both an Acer netbook [sloooow and I hate the keyboard] and an iPad. Of the 2, I will now travel with the iPad as it is lighter and faster. It gets the job done for email, research and net surfing. But I would hate to have to do any kind of real business/work on either of them.

suze Jun 8th, 2012 09:09 AM

Thanks for the correction thursdaysd. My only personal experience was for cities in Europe, plus the Caribbean and Mexico, all places I easily found them.

thursdaysd Jun 8th, 2012 12:15 PM

When was that, suze? Europe, at least western Europe, is one place they've been disappearing. All the locals have wifi or smart phones.

Seamus Jun 8th, 2012 05:11 PM

I have one of the original Acer netbooks, and it is a little cramped, but SO just this week got the latest version and it is MUCH improved - bigger screen, keyboard and lighter overall. I'd recommend it highly. Cost <$400 at Costco with 4GB memory and 500GB HDD, Windows 7 OS. Have an i{ad too and may just not be proficient enough using it but find there are things I can do more easily/comfortably on the netbook such as documents and photo management.

meibao Jun 13th, 2012 08:49 PM

it all depends on what you intend to do. I've travelled with an iPad for a short trip but used it mainly for entertainment on the plane (budget airline) but for my next trip which is a month one around the US, I'll be bringing my Macbook Air (11") because I'd like to be able to edit and post some of my photos for the family back home to see while I'm travelling as well as for blogging etc. Granted the MBA weighs a bit more than my iPad (mine is 1st generation), I prefer typing on a physical keyboard rather than a virtual one and I can use Photoshop Elements on my MBA.

SB_Travlr Jun 28th, 2012 09:23 AM

In 2010 we went on an 8-week trip to Australia and New Zealand (from the US). I took along my Samsung netbook, and it was very useful -- especially for any bank transactions we needed to do. No way I would do those from a i-cafe, because of security.

Only issue was heavy chargers etc to carry with us, but that's a small price for the convenience.

suze Jun 28th, 2012 10:46 AM

I don't do bank transactions from an internet cafe. Only send emails to my family and friends or maybe to a little research, check in to Fodors or Trip Advisor. Nothing needing security.

tomfuller Jul 2nd, 2012 06:15 AM

I like my little Asus Eee with Windows XL.
For charging try a little foldable solar panel so that you have an option of charging whenever the sun is out. http://www.netbookcrunch.com/best-ne...olar-chargers/

michele_d Jul 9th, 2012 06:16 PM

Just returned from a six week trip to Europe. Brought my Asus Eee Pc. Used it for skyping, emailing, backing up pics, journaling, banking, checking in for flights and research while on trip. Everywhere we went had wifi so very happy with that. For shorter trips I probably wouldn't bother but for longer trips it is convenient.

immimi Jul 19th, 2012 01:44 PM

Like Seamus, I've got an old Acer that's gone a'travelin'
for four years now and I won't leave home without it or a
similar sized netbook. It weighs so little and fits into
a corner of my carry-on and it's worth its weight in gold
for making and checking reservations en route.

Just use it for emails, reservations and surfing the net.

When it's time to say good-bye to this one I'll replace it
with some kind of Ipad.

MareW Jul 20th, 2012 04:10 PM

My husband and I bring a Netbook. It's serviceable, and if something happens to it, we won't be heartbroken.

djm20 Jul 31st, 2012 01:47 PM

I use an Acer netbook - it weighs about 3 pounds, has a decent 10" screen and nearly a full keyboard and plenty of hookups. I paid less than $300 for it and upgraded the battery so on planes I get about 8 hours of life out of the thing. It works everywhere and, btw, all laptops and netbook power cords automatically adjust for different electrical circuits but you will need a converter plug for foreign receptacles. I bought one that is small, light and acts as a surge protector as well. Depending on where you go, wifi is usually nonexistent in hotel rooms, but available in lobbies. Some hotels charge a fee which is pricey so skip that until you get to a more tech friendly locale.

djm20 Jul 31st, 2012 01:49 PM

You'll also need to work with the folks at the hotel desks to print out flight boarding passes etc. as you travel from place to place and return home.

michele_d Jul 31st, 2012 01:56 PM

I have to respectfully disagree about the lack of wifi in the rooms. Yes, on our three month trip in 2009, it was very spotty, but on our six week/10 country trip we just returned from this month we only had one instance where we could not get wifi in our room because we were located in the older wing of a hotel. Other than that the hotel clerk gave us the login code and it worked fine. And, we do not stay in expensive hotels, if that matters.