What is the longest trip you've taken solo?

Old May 18th, 2007, 06:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is the longest trip you've taken solo?

Where did you go? I've only traveled solo once for a vacation, and that was 4 days in New York City. I look forward to more solo trips though, and am curious about everyone else's experiences.
Old May 18th, 2007, 08:15 AM

Just over 2 weeks driving in California, as far north as Eureka and as far south as Santa Barbara. I went to Mendicino, over to Sequia National Forest, Hearst Castle, Carmel and San Fransico. I would never do that again. The driving turned out to be a bit much for one person. I have only taken cruises or bus tours since then. I much prefer watching the scenery outside the bus and meeting others on my tour, so I am not completely alone.
Old May 18th, 2007, 09:32 AM

two weeks but it is a tie between spain & morocco or australia. i traveled spain on my own and took a 10 day land tour from casablanca. australia i took the occasional day tour(s) as i traveled around. nowadays i take cruises or tour packages. i plan shorter vacations on my own still
Old May 18th, 2007, 09:40 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2 weeks in La Paz on the Baja in Mexico. 2 weeks in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico. 3 weeks in Europe but I visited friends along the way.
Old May 18th, 2007, 09:43 AM

10 days. Traveled around Germany the whole time. December. It was wonderful. I prefer to travel in the fall and winter, and most people go in the summer when children are out of school.....that's why I usually go alone.
Old May 18th, 2007, 11:43 AM

My last trip was 18 days. This summer I'll be gone for 21 days to Ontario, Canada with two of them flight days.

I usually spend 2-6 days in one location and then move on to the next.

My longest trip in planning stages is England/Scotland/Wales for the entire month of March 2015 - big birthday trip - 31 days.

And, no, I don't get lonely or bored. I get to see a lot, but not overwhelm myself with activities, and I love every minute I'm on my trip.
Old May 18th, 2007, 12:03 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Oh, actually my longest trip so far was 1 month in Dominican Republic, years ago. I traveled there solo, but had been invited by & then stayed w/ friends who rented a house on the cliffs in Sosua for 6 weeks.
Old May 18th, 2007, 02:38 PM

8 days in Egypt, Feb'06. Including Cairo and Luxor. There was so much to do and see I never had a chance to feel bored! Everyone there was extremely nice and there's always security around so I had no security concerns.
Old May 18th, 2007, 07:49 PM

Two weeks in Banff and Jasper national parks in Alberta. It was in late May, and whoever was in charge of the weather had apparently stepped away around March or so. Slushy snow on the ground, the majestic Rockies shrouded in clouds and fog, and the sky alternating between heavy overcast and rain. The Canadian Rockies are a world-class destination, but there really isn't much for a solo traveler to do there when it's raining. I actually investigated going home early, but the cost of changing my plane ticket made that impractical. So I stuck it out, met some friendly Canadians (who are much more willing to talk to a solo male than any Americans I've encountered), and took some photos during the brief moments of sunshine. This was the only trip where I've actually been happy to get home. But that less-than-optimal experience hasn't stopped me from taking many solo vacations (with better weather) since then.
Old May 19th, 2007, 07:01 AM

Two weeks in Italy. I had not planned on going solo but could not find a travel partner. People thought I was nuts for going by myself. I took a course in Italian at the local community college (it helped a lot) and had a blast. I got to go and do what I wanted. People thought I was Italian and would come up and start speaking to me and I had to say: Mi dispiace, non parlo Italiano. The best fun was an overnight train from Naples to Venice with 4 other women in my sleeping comparment. They were fun. They didn't speak English so we got by with my few words of Italian. Good times!!
Old May 19th, 2007, 09:43 PM

Was planning an 18 day Kenya/Tanzania safari in Jan 08, but then my mom decided she wanted to go for part of it. (I had asked her earlier if she wanted to go) She is going for the first 11 days and then I'm continuing on for another week alone. It will be nice to share those initial animal sightings and excitement with someone, but I'm also really looking forward to that week alone.
Old May 20th, 2007, 04:15 AM

For my 40th birthday I hiked the Inca Trail in Peru. Then I spent 4 days in the Amazon. So in total I think it was about two weeks.
Old May 20th, 2007, 04:17 AM

I also spent 3 weeks in Brittany & Paris but that can't really count because I stayed with friends.
Old May 20th, 2007, 08:16 AM

5 months in Indonesia - Java and Bali.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 02:02 PM

4 weeks in New Zealand. Great place for the female solo traveler.
Old May 26th, 2007, 10:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ten months round the world - from Scotland to Saigon by rail (wandering around Europe then the Trans-Mongolian) finishing in New Zealand. I did do an eight day tour part of the time I was in Indonesia and I stayed with my niece in Edinburgh, but otherwise this was an all-solo trip.
Old May 27th, 2007, 12:59 PM
bellastarr

I traveled in Italy for 3 months awhile back. Some of my designs got into Italian Vogue, and I went there to see of I could expand my horizons, design business wise and art wise. It was a very fruitful experience and I made many long term friends!

Old May 27th, 2007, 08:11 PM

Three weeks on my last trip. I went to Amsterdam, Venice, Bologna, Florence and Paris. Talk about a GREAT trip!!

Tom
Old May 29th, 2007, 08:05 AM
Lia

I travel a lot for work so can't count that, but for vacation the longest I've travelled solo was two weeks. I'm now planning a solo trip around the world for 8-10 weeks, although a few friends and family will be joining me for a few days here and there in various locations...
Old May 30th, 2007, 02:17 AM

On average, at least two weeks. Just got back from northern part of Italy actually and was there for about 16 days on my own. Lots of curious looks from the locals especially in Aosta -- I was the only Asian-looking face among the crowd. Interesting!

Usually hare off to New Zealand or somewhere in Europe for 2.5 weeks just to relax and enjoy the local scenes.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -