Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Travel Tips & Trip Ideas (https://www.fodors.com/community/travel-tips-and-trip-ideas/)
-   -   What are your Travel Resolutions for 2011? (https://www.fodors.com/community/travel-tips-and-trip-ideas/what-are-your-travel-resolutions-for-2011-a-871489/)

Cate_W Jan 1st, 2011 08:17 AM

What are your Travel Resolutions for 2011?

Instead of, or maybe in addition to, the typical resolutions (lose weight, quit a bad habit, etc.) does anyone else have any travel-related resolutions?

I'd definitely like to travel more than last year, but specifically I'm going to fit in more long weekend trips to explore stuff close to home. And, as we are unpacking from almost 2 weeks on the go - my husband says he's not going to overpack ever again!

Happy New Year!

Beachnut11 Jan 2nd, 2011 06:32 PM

Our resolution is to set a "souviner" budget...DH is a shopaholic (with great taste)!

qwovadis Jan 3rd, 2011 04:37 AM

With the higher new areline baggage fees will carry on more.

A family of 4 checking one bag each can pay $200 more easily

on many carriers...

I resolve to travel lighter

more frugally and simply this year

www.onebag.com

All the best for a happy new year!

Cate_W Jan 3rd, 2011 04:54 AM

Great ideas beachnut11 and qwovadis!

Is anyone going to try to learn a new language?

Maybe I'll take a refresher course.

Stephanie_B Jan 3rd, 2011 08:21 AM

My travel resolution is to take a non-airplane-based trip. Top contenders: biking the Great Allegheny Passage from Pittsburgh to Washington, D.C. or road tripping to major Civil War and literary sights in the South.

Happy travels in 2011!

Laura_K Jan 3rd, 2011 08:53 AM

I resolve not to be impatient with TSA officials. These people are doing a thankless and oh-so necessary job that's designed to keep us all safe---as much as it's possible to do so. The same goes for TSA policies that seem to touch on my personal space, freedom, and rights.

I further resolve to silently redirect (and then quickly let go of) any impatience I feel while in line at security toward fellow travelers who gripe about all the rules, vent their frustrations on TSA officials, and slow things down with their complaints and/or disorganization. We all know the drill by now, so it's time to show up prepared and just get through it---maybe even with a smile instead of gritted teeth.

Eric_W Jan 3rd, 2011 09:00 AM

I resolve to get one more international stamp on my passport before it expires in 2012.

frogoutofwater Jan 3rd, 2011 10:29 AM

I resolve to make sure that both my husband and I are set up so that we can work for a couple of days in case our flights home are delayed. (We didn't get caught out by the Iceland volcanic or the crazy winter weather in Europe before Christmas, but our flight back to NYC after Christmas was delayed. We ended up wasting a vacation day at the airport trying to get home on the 28th. I could have worked while "stranded" because my company has a branch where we were, but my husband couldn't, so we had to rush home.)

On my (or our) 2011 trips, I/we will pack a laptop and set up some easily accessible work files (e.g., save them onto a USB key, email files to ourselves) before we leave so that we can manage a couple of days' work at the end of the trip if we get stranded somewhere.

salwa_jabado Jan 3rd, 2011 11:01 AM

Usually I travel with my husband who is a human GPS (give him 5 minutes to stare at a map and he pretty much knows where he's going), but I have some solo travel coming up. So, my resolution is to get comfortable traveling on my own and finding my way around new cities. I know I can find my way ...it just may take a little longer!

MollyM Jan 3rd, 2011 11:49 AM

I resolve to let family dictate my 2011 travel plans. My sister is getting married this year in Wisconsin, and being there for everything is my top travel priority. Although I'd love to put money and vacation days towards checking some exotic destinations off my list, this year, I'll be content sitting in my parents' backyard for the bridal shower, bachelorette party-ing in Vegas, helping out with planning in Chicago, and enjoying the main event in Milwaukee (not to mention three other family/friend weddings this summer).

Kelly_K Jan 3rd, 2011 01:04 PM

Love these resolutions, especially the light/smart packing ones. Cate, I'm into your resolution about refreshing language skills. My resolution is to strike up more conversations when I travel, both in English and Spanish. (And my Spanish is rusty---better get studying!)

Linda_C Jan 3rd, 2011 02:17 PM

I appreciate qwovadis's point about packing light! This year I resolve to help my husband get that message.

My own resolution is to explore a few new places--or return to ones I haven't beeen to for ages--rather than revisiting familiar favorites. This may involve retrieving some language skills (I can relate to the rusty Spanish comment from Kelly_K). Anyhow, the first step is to start thinking and making some plans, and I look forward to that.

Happy 2011 and good travels to all!

suze Jan 3rd, 2011 06:46 PM

Are all these posters above with the (F) in the circle by their names really Fodor's editors?

LSky Jan 3rd, 2011 09:14 PM

Either that suze or I'm feeling really silly because I can't make italics :)

And what's with the advertising?

Amy_D Jan 4th, 2011 05:16 AM

Suze - You are correct - all of the posters above with the (F) icon are Fodor's editors.
LSky - Thanks for bringing the advertising to my attention. It has been removed.

Jess_M Jan 4th, 2011 06:40 AM

My travel resolution is to plan more trips to destinations where I have friends and family. You save a lot of money on lodging (and often rental cars), and you get a true local experience. So far this year's list includes Philly, DC, Sun Valley, and (hopefully!) South Africa.

Oh, and as always, another resolution is to get back to Hawaii soon :)

suze Jan 4th, 2011 06:53 AM

hey thanks Amy_D. Just seemed weird. I've been around here a long time and I've never seen so many editors show up at the same place at the same time.

LSky Jan 4th, 2011 07:41 AM

Id didn't even know there were so many Fodor's editors :)

You're welcome Amy_D.

Arabella_B Jan 4th, 2011 09:44 AM

Oh yes, LSky and suze, there are quite a few of us eds here ;)

My travel resolutions include volunteering abroad (I went to Haiti last year and it changed my life); Travelocity has a great Travel for Good program (www.travelocity.com/TravelForGood/index.html) that awards a $5000 grant every quarter to an individual (or couple) with voluntouring aspirations.

I also want to continue my wine education (I've been taking classes through the International Wine Center; www.internationalwinecenter.com) and put it to use exploring new wine regions; I'm thinking Lebanon next fall.

I also want to try a vacation rental this year--I've never done it, and it's about time I did! I'm checking out HomeAway for a ski weekend over Martin Luther King. Suggestions welcome!

suze Jan 5th, 2011 04:12 PM

<there are quite a few of us eds here>

Then why don't you participate more often?

I don't mean to sound confrontational. Truly just curious. Why did everyone show up here on this "Travel Tips" branch (which btw hardly anyone reads in case you haven't noticed -lol) for this one question? Or was that the idea, to try and get it going? "Hey everyone, head on over and answer Cate_W's New Year's Resolution question!"