Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Travel Tips & Trip Ideas
Reload this Page >

Converter for a 3 prong (or grounded) plug?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19th, 2009, 06:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

In the past, I've been OK with taking a converter and an adapter for my trips to France. I even purchased a French-plug hairdryer in Avignon at Monoprix! However, on my last trip to Paris in May of this year, I was dismayed to find out (and I know I should have checked) that the converter did not accept 3 prong (or grounded) plugs. I wanted to plug in my laptop and couldn't. I was bummed.

I think, after doing some research, that my converter wouldn't have been the best one for a laptop anyway? It has a Hi-Lo switch, which I think is good for smaller appliances.

I'm leaving for Paris in one month and will be taking a laptop again (need to do homework while on vacation, sadly). I'm having trouble finding a converter that will accept the 3 prong (or grounded) plugs from the U.S. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to purchase a converter that has the 3 prong hole already? I don't think it's particularly safe for me to purchase a 2-to-3 prong adapter (similar to the ones that you can purchase at Home Depot, etc.), but I could be wrong.

Thanks,
TR
Old Oct 19th, 2009, 01:43 PM

My mom uses the 2-to-3 adapters in her house for her computer since the outlets in the room don't have a separate ground slot. She's never had any issues and has used it for many years now.
Old Oct 21st, 2009, 01:26 AM

Your laptop should not need a converter merely an adapter. It should already run on 110-240volts - check the label on it to be sure. Then you need to find an adapter for French sockets which will accept you three prong plug, or use an adapter from you your three prong US plug to a two prong US plug and then plug that into the US/France adapter. Laptops are double insulated so don't need an earthed socket to run safely.
Old Oct 21st, 2009, 06:53 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses. It's my friend's laptop that is heading to Paris. This is the information that was provided:

Input: 100-240V~50-60Hz 1.5A
Output: 19.5V---3.34A
Maxima Output Power: 65W

It appears to be dual voltage.

Now I can look for the adapter for France with a three prong US plug!

TR
Old Oct 22nd, 2009, 03:54 PM

I have done as suggested above--a simple 3 to 2 prong US adapter, which I then plug into my usual 2 flat prong to 2 round prong adapter for Europe.
Old Sep 2nd, 2010, 01:04 PM

The 3-prong grounded plug on my new laptop will fit into my 2-prong European adaptor. Can anyone tell me whether this is safe or not. Thanks.
Old Sep 2nd, 2010, 08:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've done that. Just don't touch the third prong.