Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Travel Tips & Trip Ideas
Reload this Page >

iPad the World's Greatest Travel Companion?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4th, 2010, 10:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm creating an iPad travel ebook.

Would everybody be interested in how revolutionary an iPad is for travel?

Would you like to learn how to use the iPad's travel apps, what's cool, what's going to make travel super convenient? Learn about how to use it for directions, languages, entertainment, keeping your travel journal, and more?

Would you like to learn which are the best travel cases, how to travel safely with your iPad, what your iPad can or cannot handle environmentally? How to charge it or get wifi on the road?

Or how you can use your iPad as a pillow? Well, maybe not a pillow, but as the world's greatest travel companion?

What do you think?
Old Sep 5th, 2010, 12:50 PM

Yes ... to all your questions, well except for the use as a pillow!!

Currently trying to decide what is/might be our 'best' future travel companion, and iPad is in our considerations. Know we do not want a windows-based netbook pc, or something similar, and the iPod just seems so small (for our "older" eyes!!).

Wonder how the iPad will do against the new android-based tablets that will soon "flood" the market? Personally, I'm pulling for version two of iPad - no doubt there will be one before long.

Good luck!
Old Sep 5th, 2010, 07:31 PM

Yes, about to take iPad to Italy for 2weeks.

It would be great if there were more travel books/videos available for iPad; ironic that the category is presently so skimpy, since IMO it is made for travel!
Old Sep 6th, 2010, 05:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No. I looked at buying an iPad for my upcoming RTW and decided to buy a new, lighter netbook (ASUS 1008HA) instead.

By the time I added the case (have to protect the screen), the camera connection kit (NO USB port) and a wireless keyboard it weighed as much as the netbook, was harder to use and needed more care (more fragile and likely more attractive to thieves).

iPads are good for consuming info, but not for someone who wants to blog.

annw - can't you download travel books you'd otherwise download to a netbook? LP sells individual chapters for download, for instance. Or is this a case where you can only get stuff that Steve Jobs has blessed?
Old Sep 6th, 2010, 06:44 PM

Thursday, I don't know but would.love to figure out how.
Old Sep 7th, 2010, 09:14 AM

There are some cheap, PDF-viewing apps for ipad that will allow you to read regular color PDFs easily. A page fits really well on the ipad screen. Then you can certainly buy a PDF from a travel company and read it on your device. There are relatively few good ipad-ready travel guides, though.