Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Travel Tips & Trip Ideas (https://www.fodors.com/community/travel-tips-and-trip-ideas/)
-   -   VRBO help?!? (https://www.fodors.com/community/travel-tips-and-trip-ideas/vrbo-help-1676073/)

latyso Jan 5th, 2020 04:56 PM

VRBO help?!?

I am looking for a 4 bedroom condo/townhome/home to rent for a upcoming family vacation. I have 5 different family members to satisfy on this mission.
I found a rental last night..sent it out to all 5 people. I finally gained approval from all. FYI..the date is over 7 months away. I went online today to book it and the price has gone up $700 dollars? It’s not a holiday or anything special week, I would change the date, but the price still reflects the $700 dollar increase?!?..WTF?..is the only thing I kept thinking..it’s Sunday so I plan on calling tomorrow..anyone else come across this type of rate hike?

Moderator1 Jan 5th, 2020 05:18 PM

Moved from Forums Technical Support to Travel Tips.

Jean Jan 5th, 2020 06:25 PM

Did the additional $700 only appear during the booking process? It could be the infamous "hidden fees."

latyso Jan 5th, 2020 06:40 PM

No...the booking is 7 months out..the overall price jumped a little over $700 dollars in less than 24 hours. I contacted the owners still awaiting response...just feeling let down slightly..not easy to appease my group..no sooner did I get all yes’s and now the price hike?!?

latyso Jan 5th, 2020 08:40 PM

Well..Solved my own problem..the townhome was listed with a actual rental agency(name) was on the VRBO..site..went directly to that site..got it for a cheaper rate than I first saw!!...confirmed it immediately..so buyer beware of VRBO...it would have cost $900 more than the actual rental agency!...ADVICE...get the address of the rentAl off of VRBO...google it...and save urself some $$$$!!!

whitehall Jan 9th, 2020 09:11 AM

Also be very careful of who you are dealing with. VRBO and HomeAway (same company) for example, in the past at least, have had many phony listings. I participated in a lengthy thread here last year, where I documented many of these fraudulent listings after one poster here discovered he was the victim of a fraud. Even though he booked via HomeAway, he lost a couple hundred dollars as I recall because HomeAway charged him for currency conversion despite his booking a fake listing on their website. And notably HomeAway continued to list the property for many days even after being advised that the actual house was located in a different country. Even though they made the poster in that case 98% or so whole, what would the result have been, financially and otherwise, if the poster had shown up in Lake Como, Italy, unable to find the villa that actually was in Mallorca, Spain? Bottom line, both know WHO (agency or individual) you are dealing with and make sure there are reviews for the property (since none of the fake listings I uncovered had any reviews). ×