Vacation versus Travel

Old Sep 3rd, 2019, 07:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
starrs, I used to be a "I didn't come all the way to Paris, for example, to do nothing" person.

Then I went with my parents who were very, very good at stopping morning and afternoon for a coffee. I started on that trip impatient to get going and thinking of all the things I wasn't seeing/doing. A lightbulb went on during the trip, and I'm thankful I learned that. Too busy thinking about what's next robs the moment I'm in. And lazy days or mornings or afternoons are good!
Old Sep 3rd, 2019, 08:16 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I think of travel as going somewhere to do something not necessarily for recreation. I can travel to New Hampshire to drop someone off, travel to California on business, travel to Florida for a wedding, etc. It doesn't have the express purpose of enjoying oneself. Vacationing is the enjoying yourself part, no matter what it is you choose to do and where. I don't think the difference is anything to do with the amount of planning involved because there may be a fair amount involved either way, like making sure the mail is stopped, the dog sitter is hired, accommodations are booked, credit cards are notified, car is road trip ready...
Old Sep 3rd, 2019, 08:19 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
sugarmaple, totally.
That is why I think this thread describing binary choices is another version of traveler/ tourist question.

EVERY trip can be both kinds of trip. Most of mine are. My favorite "lazy" (to use that now deleted word) were weeks on St. Croix or St. Lucia. The relaxing was mixed with adventures. I think everyone should take whatever trip they enjoy, but I don't see vacations/ trips as one or the other. Just like I don't see a significant difference between a tourist or a traveler.

"Vacation versus Travel"
Heck, I try to sneak in little segments of "vacation" on work trips if there's time. Last week was a segment of the Little House journey that I planned to take after retiring.

Last edited by starrs; Sep 3rd, 2019 at 08:23 AM.
Old Sep 3rd, 2019, 08:24 AM

Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts
Just returned from a 10-night vacation, in three different California locations, mostly spending time with our adult 'kids'.
Everything went really well, the weather was perfection, and we had lots of fun. Biggest decision of each day was usually what we'd do during the day and the restaurant we'd choose for that night.

I do all the planning for our trips, so I'd spent a fair amount of time in advance, lining up all the air travel, auto rentals, and hotels. I get fairly obsessed with choosing just the right place to stay, and was really happy with the choices I'd made. It certainly pays to reserve as far in advance as possible.

By the end of the trip, though, I will say I was ready to come home and relax. Choosing all those restaurants is exhausting. haha. Honestly, though, I do wish someone else (ahem) would step up and manage the daily logistics once or twice. Just sayin'.

Next two trips: a high school reunion in the midwest this month, caring for grandson next month in California, Baby's First Christmas in Park City. Pretty good line-up!

Last edited by MoBro; Sep 3rd, 2019 at 08:28 AM.
Old Sep 3rd, 2019, 09:16 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
At this time all my trips are vacations. I don't do any typical tourist activities. But traveler would be a stretch -lol!

Likely will stay that way until after I am retired from working full time. I don't need the stress, time, expense and don't have the interest of a major trip right now. That said I have beach vacations (Caribbean, Mexico, Hawaii) down to a science. I can plan them in about 10 minutes max. I would never take a cruise or stay at an All Inclusive resort. And a cabin on a lake is booooring when you're solo.
Old Sep 3rd, 2019, 09:36 AM

I had to laugh at your definitions because one of the reasons I “travel” is family “vacations” were never vacations. My family has a special talent in making vacations stressful. I actually thought I didn’t enjoy travel until I started going solo.

I’ve found that the “travel” needs a few “vacation days” injected in. I usually hit the ski slopes, or spa, or a theme park for a day or too. But also my interests have always been such that what you describe as “travel” is vacation. I’d rather be getting lost in a city, or museum hopping, than on a beach any day.
Old Sep 3rd, 2019, 10:23 AM
***RETIRED*** Do Not Contact

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts
I love discussing this distinction.

Was just having a similar conversation last night -- I said that I think I would travel indefinitely (on my own schedule, of course). I realized this many years ago, at the end of a 3 month Europe trip, feeling as though I had just really got my legs under me, and raring to go for more.

I have never been at the end of a trip and throught, gee, I'd rather be home about now...
Old Sep 3rd, 2019, 10:57 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
ibobi- I think that last sentence is a fairly unusual feeling. Even for people who love to travel/trip/vacation many (most?) are ready to come home at the end of their aloted time... whether they've been gone a few months or even a few weeks.
Old Sep 3rd, 2019, 11:11 AM

Let me guess. ibobi is single and doesn't have pets at home.
Old Sep 3rd, 2019, 11:19 AM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
Our pets are the only reason I want to come home. I could travel forever. Of course, at the pace we go, I'd probably be dead within six weeks.

Old Sep 3rd, 2019, 11:20 AM

Received 22 Likes on 8 Posts
IBobi should get a travel related job.
Old Sep 3rd, 2019, 01:18 PM

@ibobi - I totally get it, and have had the same experience in many instances. Not always, but more often than not, and even more so now that I am retired

@suze - yep, having repeat planning down to a checklist makes it easy, especially if one is familiar with the destination. I find that even for newer destinations, the ready availability of online resources (like, ahem, Fodor's) lets me throw together an itinerary in pretty short order if necessary, though I must admit to enjoying exploring options, too, if time allows.

I am also among those who have learned to relax on travel, have maybe a few key things scheduled and let the rest flow. As the firstborn and a caretaker I'll likely never totally give up wanting to have a plan of some sort, but do find that a more relaxed approach has made travel more enjoyable.
Old Sep 3rd, 2019, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by Seamus
As the firstborn and a caretaker I'll likely never totally give up wanting to have a plan of some sort, but do find that a more relaxed approach has made travel more enjoyable.
That would make for an interesting thread.
Old Sep 3rd, 2019, 01:27 PM

Lately (due to physical constraints) I have been doing more vacationing than travelling. I like both but I miss the adventure of travelling and I hope someday soon to do more of it.
Old Sep 3rd, 2019, 01:49 PM

I think "Trip" is an all-inclusive term. Like others here, I am retired so it's hard to call a trip a "vacation"...vacation from what?
Old Sep 3rd, 2019, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by xcountry
IBobi should get a travel related job.
Lol!
Old Sep 3rd, 2019, 03:29 PM

ibobbi, I’m always happy to come home to see the family. Then I want to get back on the plane.
Old Sep 3rd, 2019, 05:12 PM

we are lazy travellers...no moving around more than once, no getting up early,
no many “ attractions “ per day, taxis when we fell rushed, just doing what feels right at the moment.
Vacation and travel in one.
Old Sep 3rd, 2019, 05:16 PM

I use them interchangeably, but if I had to make a distinction, I think "vacation" is like the word "tourist" in that leisure or pleasure is the intent of the experience, whereas I can "travel" for all sorts of reasons other than pleasure (business, necessity, etc.)
Old Sep 4th, 2019, 03:44 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by starrs
Let me guess. ibobi is single and doesn't have pets at home.
Exactly! There are times when you really miss them and you want to be home with them.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -