Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Travel Tips & Trip Ideas (https://www.fodors.com/community/travel-tips-and-trip-ideas/)
-   -   Vacation trip to Northern Spain (https://www.fodors.com/community/travel-tips-and-trip-ideas/vacation-trip-to-northern-spain-957497/)

lizal34 Nov 23rd, 2012 05:30 PM

Vacation trip to Northern Spain

My wife and I (in our late 60's and retired ) are planning our first trip to Northern Spain towards the end of May next year, 2013. We plan to fly from Miami to Barcelona and then go on to visit cities as Zaragosa, Pamplona, San Sebastian, Bilbao, Santillana, Santander, Gijon, Oviedo, La Coruna y Santiago de Compostela. I am inviting all good friends of Fodor to give us your suggestions. Are all these places worth visiting? What are your suggestions about places to stay... I hear the Paradors are one of the best choices, but are they too pricey? what are the best places to visit along this trip, what would be the total days most advisable. ALSO, we are debating whether to rent a car in Barcelona and drive. My children are not in favor of my driving, (they say it is dangerous!) but are the trains/buses available as an alternative? Not being familiar at all with this part of the Country, we would be really appreciative to hear from Fodor's readers your comments and suggestions...Gracias...thank you..obrigado...

thursdaysd Nov 23rd, 2012 06:58 PM

Welcome to Fodors. You should repost your query on the Europe board - use the Change Forum option above.

Yes, there are trains. (See seat61.com) You can get a senior discount for the paradors.

HappyTrvlr Nov 24th, 2012 03:28 PM

We have stayed in many paradors on our last two trips to Spain. Most of them are wonderful and a very good value for the price ( see senior rates and multiple night stay rates). We have only had one negative parador experience, both the room, food and cost and it was in Santillana del Mar.
Our favorite was in Baiona, a little south of Santiago de Compostela. By the way, Sanitago de Compostela was one of my my all time favorite travel locations.Book the parador in Santiago way ahead if you wish to stay there.It was originally a hospital built by Queen Isabella and Ferdinand.
We enjoyed Northern Spain very much.DK Eyewitness has a good guide book for this region.
Why do your kids think driving in Spain is dangerous? That doesn't make any sense at all.This is Western Europe not some third world area.
We drove on well marked highways for the most part and never had problems with local roads either. We drove from Lisbon up the Portugese coast to Santiago and on to Northern Spain to most of places you list, to the Pyrenees,east over to the Mediterranean and down to Barcelona, six weeks in all, with some one week rentals along the way.We did switch rental cars from Portuagal to Spain to avoid a huge drop fee.
I find using trains a hassle for us as we get older, schlepping bags, etc.plus we like to go off the beaten path.
It is a wonderful region to explore.
Repost this on Europe Board.. Ask the Fodor's editors to do it for you.

lizal34 Nov 27th, 2012 06:23 PM

To Thursdaysd and Happy Trvlr

Thank you guys for being so nice. Your comments and suggestions are much appreciated and to be taken into consideration within our planning. I am re-posting my mesage in the Europe Board

skyex3633 Nov 27th, 2012 10:13 PM

Thank u for sharing this thread with us and i also need this information like you.

Publius Dec 5th, 2012 06:14 AM

There is a relatively small castle in Olite, near Pamplona right on your route from Zaragosa, that I think is one of the nicest to visit. They give you an English headset, you wander on your own and push the appropriate button to hear about the room,tower, etc. you're in.

I also think you might like a side-trip off the coast into the Rioja region. Vitoria is very convenient, you lose almost no time routing through there rather than the coast route between San Sebastian and Bilbao. Burgos would add a different cultural slice of Spain and isn't too far out of your way.

Another thought is to see a jumping off point for the Camino across the French border from Pamplona, St. Jean Pied de Port.

Paradors were too pricey for us. Our most expensive room (for all over Spain) was 117 euro in San Sebastian at their high-season rate. We had a great room in Zaragosa for 90 euro but two-thirds of our stops were under 65 euro, half under 50. Mostly in small hotels or hostals.

janisj Dec 5th, 2012 10:22 AM

<B>Publius</B>: It might be more helpful if you posted that on the OPs re-posted (very) active thread on the Europe board http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...hern-spain.cfm

She's received tons of suggestions there and yours may get lost on this thread.

skyex3633 Dec 6th, 2012 08:05 PM

It is a great idea to visit Northern Spain, this location is very nice,lots of place to visit.

skyex3633 Jan 2nd, 2013 01:03 AM

Your trip panning is so nice and the places you choose for your trip is really the best places.