Usefulness of a travel agent ?

Aug 31st, 2017, 01:48 PM
Original Poster
Usefulness of a travel agent ?

So we are planning a trip to Argentina.
We sent the itinerary that we devised to a TA to have the trip organized. So no off the shelve itour.
Complete with a reference of hotels and what excursions we wanted to do.

Our experience (may not be valid for everyone...)
- we saved 10% on internal flights with the TA
(I still don't know how)
- I saved 30% by booking the hotels myself - 20% at least using booking and hotels/.com and an additional 10% via vouchers that we will be able to use later
- booking and Hotels can have significant price discrepancies - I saw up to 50% from to the the other (or -30% down from the other to the first)
- cars and excursions : still expensive but for us much better to let the TA organize it.
- transfers : organized by the TA.

Just in case it may be of help, my conclusion is : unbundle the trip and do the easy parts yourself. Up to a limit since the TA will not do just some small parts.
Aug 31st, 2017, 06:57 PM

A TA me saved at least 10%, perhaps a bit more, on an open jaw itinerary to Brazil a couple of years ago, and I, too, don't really know how she did it. That savings was well worth her small fee.

Made me wonder whether I should use a TA more often, actually, for the easy trips I book myself...
Sep 1st, 2017, 10:18 AM
Yes TA's definitely save you money & time. Many of them have memberships or special codes that they would use to get discounts that we sometimes don't have access to.
Sep 8th, 2017, 11:55 AM
Blaire.. sorry .. .been traveling since before you were born and TAS often do NOT save you money( interestingly enough I even took a TA course about 20 yrs ago , but saw the writing on the wall and didnt pursue it as a career) .. they tend to like to book one in hotels or resorts that pay them commissions, and many smaller less expensive places do not pay travel agents .

Search this Thread