Notices

U.S. Virgin Island

Nov 9th, 2009, 12:58 PM
Original Poster

U.S. Virgin Island

I am hoping to make a trip to US Virgin Island in Feb or March 2010. We have never been there and would like ideas or suggestion. We are interest in staying in a decent area (safe), some night life, attractions, little driving- walking distance. Should we do a
AI? Anyone who's been there with ideas or suggestion for us would be helpful.
Nov 9th, 2009, 04:49 PM

You may get more help if you post this question on the Caribbean board. There are, I believe, three US Virgin Islands--St. Thomas, St. Croix, and St. John.
Nov 10th, 2009, 04:28 AM

I agree that you'll get more info on the Caribbean board. Yes - three islands. Generally speaking St. Thomas is most crowded since cruise ships dock there. St. John is the most untouched I've heard. I've been to St. Croix - a lovely island. Easy to get around, very friendly, not really any unsafe areas. You may want to be more specific with what you're looking for. For instance if beach is important to you, Sprat Hall Beach area is very calm and sandy. We stayed on the northeast side which is very rocky and not as nice for small kids (though public beaches are abundant). We found plenty of good places to eat so unless you really don't want to drive I personally wouldn't do an AI there.
Nov 10th, 2009, 08:57 AM

Only the Wyndham Sapphire and Bolongo Bay offer AI plans on St. Thomas (at least those are the only ones I can think of), and neither is a true AI resort. You have picked the wrong destination for AI resorts. You want the Dominican Republic for that. In most cases, there is a lot to see and do off the resort property, and most restaurants are off-resort. Unless you plan to have a super-deluxe vacation at a place like Caneel Bay, then I think you may be disappointed.

It's certainly possible to stay at the Marriott in St. Thomas and just take the ferry over to town a couple of times. You could also stay at the Ritz-Carlton and take a taxi to a couple of places.

Definitely post on the Caribbean board for more info.

Search this Thread