Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Travel Tips & Trip Ideas
Reload this Page > Two 28 yr women who want to travel to different countries on a budget

Two 28 yr women who want to travel to different countries on a budget

Oct 13th, 2010, 01:23 PM
Original Poster

Two 28 yr women who want to travel to different countries on a budget

My girlfriend and I have been wanting to travel together for years and in some way see the world. We came up with 6 countries (or around there) to live or sightsee in. We would first start in Spain. Travel around Spain but also quite possibly get a job in Ibiza for the summer months. Our other countries or places of interest include - India, Australia, Thailand, Tokyo, Greece. Side countries Egypt, New Zealand, Amsterdam, and Costa Rica.

We are wondering how we could become vagabonds, being two young American women and travel on a reasonable budget to make it through all of this. If anyone has any information on how we can do this, time frames, transportation, lodging, safety issues. We would greatly appreciate this.
Oct 14th, 2010, 07:23 AM

www.lonelyplanet.com on the Thorn Tree forum there are more people posting who do this style of travel (than Fodor's). Check in there. Or look for blogs from people doing around-the-world adventures.

The trip you describe is by its very nature going to be expensive. You have named 10 possible countries, several continents, all over the world! I think you need 8-12 months to accomplish this.

Working legally short-term in Europe is not an easy proposition. People do find work under-the-table, but I would not count on making money once you are on the trip. I think you need to have it saved in advance.

If you have not traveled before (I can't tell for sure from your post), I would start out with a more reasonable itinerary. Like going to just a couple countries, in a similar part of the world (like Spain, Amsterdam, and Greece for example).
Oct 16th, 2010, 06:25 PM

I've been helping my nephew to plan a 10-month trip to South America, Asia, Europe and Australia with a friend of his. They know where they want to go, so we've been researching the price of plane tickets. Two good sites I've found for round the world tickets are oneworldtravel.com and staralliance.com. Mostly I learned that the cheapest place to fly from is New Zealand. Much of his trip will be dictated by the cost of the plane tickets--to save money, they're planning on camping. So after we came up with the first itinerary, he checked out the weather patterns in each country. His next research project is to find campgrounds. Not the way I'd choose to travel, but he's young.
Oct 18th, 2010, 02:43 AM

Best book I know for this kind of planning is "Practical Nomad" by Ed Hasbrouck. You might also look for Doug Lansky's books. Definitely be aware of visa requirements - both tourist and work (look at the Schengen 90 day limit for Europe). It helps if you can do the long haul flights on a FF award (I'm on my third RTW on a One World award) but airtreks.com specializes in RTW tickets.

There are RTW travelers on twitter.com (check the #rtwnow and #rtwsoon tags). Not something I've tried yet, but I met a couple two days ago who've been on the road over a year couchsurfing.
Oct 22nd, 2010, 02:08 AM

My daughter did New Zealand with a friend last summer. Remember the seasons are different! They stayed in hostels there and found them to be very clean and very safe. Also they were very COLD last summer! made a huge difference in their backpacks with the new clothes they had to buy and carry....
Nov 3rd, 2010, 07:30 AM

If you are looking to travel on a budget and as a generalisation, I would avoid anywhere in the Euro zone (that's anywhere that uses Euros)...countries that have had to move away from their own native currencies to the Euro have seen prices soar over the years...France for example is now ridiculously expensive compared to what it was only a few years ago and Italy and Spain are not far behind...although having said that, the cost of travel when you are in these countries is cheap by comparison. As for travelling within the UK (that's England/Ireland/Scotland/Wales) this is one of the most expensive, dirty and unrealiable things that you can do anywhere in Europe.

Search this Thread