Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Travel Tips & Trip Ideas
Reload this Page >

Traveling from U.S. to Asia or Africa with a 10 Month Old

Old Feb 1st, 2011, 09:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello. My husband and I are thinking of traveling from the U.S. to Morocco or Bali with our 10 month old and wanted to hear opinions on flying 18-20 hours with a little one. ... Since Morocco is only 7.5 hours from NYC (and we are in D.C.) this option is probably more realistic, but I'm curious what people have to say about traveling from the U.S. to Asia. ... Any other thoughts on good places to travel with a little one are also welcome. Basically, like most people on this forum, my husband and I love to travel and have been to Eastern Europe, Central America, Tanzania and Tahiti. We planned to continue traveling once per year even after having kids, but our daughter is so attached to us that we are hesitant to leave her at home with family for 7-10 days. ... This had lead us to consider bringing her with us.

Any thoughts, opinions would be appreciated!

Thanks, Kirsten
Old Feb 1st, 2011, 05:40 PM

having the car seat on board is the only way to fly safely with a baby.
Old Feb 4th, 2011, 01:57 PM

IMO... Don't do it!

Get your daughter better familiarized with family -- particularly the family who'd be willing to babysit. Until your daughter is old enough, this is the simplest way for you to get the most out of your travels.
Old Feb 5th, 2011, 04:41 PM

Having just gotten back from a 2 week trip through Morocco I don't think that I would be bringing a child that age.I agree that you either start leaving her with your family or go to more modernized countries at this young age.
Old Feb 6th, 2011, 05:38 PM

I totally disagree, although you have to do whatever you feel comfortable with. We took our daughter to florida at 4 months, japan at 5/6, aruba at 14 and are going away in march with her as well. It's all about mindset -- and while it can be mentally challenging, every flight has been easier than expected. We are thinking about south america in march -- while I am definitely anxious about it, she is part of our family and will learn to be a great traveler because we bring her with us. Again, you have to do whatever you feel comfortable, but please know that it's always easier than you think it will be. It may slow you down a bit, but it's a great way to relax and take things easy abroad. Enjoy your time with your daughter -- or time alone -- whatever you decide!
Old Feb 6th, 2011, 07:59 PM

This was our experience flying long-haul with a 15 - 16 month old. Hard work but rewarding!

http://www.fodors.com/community/trav...rning-long.cfm

Lavandula
Old Feb 7th, 2011, 07:49 AM

Florida,Aruba and Japan are ALOT different than traveling in a 3rd world country such as Morocco in my opinion!I say this as an "older" mother who has traveled alot with her children and an international flight attendant of many years.
Old Feb 7th, 2011, 07:52 AM

I would also add that traveling with very small children to "less modernized" areas presents problems with things such as malaria,yellow fever,etc. so be sure your child has all of the appropriate vaccinations before leaving.
You'd be surprised how many of my fellow crew members have come up with everything from malaria to parasites from just working to these countries!
Old Feb 12th, 2011, 02:24 PM

I disagree with some of the earlier posts.

I travel from the west coast to India(where I'm orginally from) atleast once every couple of years and have been doing it since my kids were babies. My son who is now 8 went on his 1st trip to India when he was just 2 months old and for a while both my kids (now 8 & 6) were travelling there twice a year(I had to go there for work).
As long as you make sure you talk to your pediatrician and make sure you are up to date on vaccinations and any extra shots she reccommends its pretty easy.

If you are going in summer, make sure you get airconditioning so its not too hot and take normal precautions you would take in any foreign country like drinking bottled water etc and you will be fine.

When I took my daughter to Bangkok with me, she was 9 months old and on formula and I would make sure I took bottled water everywhere with me. I would go into the kitchen of the hotel/restaurant and ask if I could boil my own water for making formula and they would always oblige.

Its amazing how much people go out of their way to help you when you have a baby...more so in 3rd world countries.

So I'd say go for it!!!!!!
Old Mar 14th, 2011, 02:56 PM

i travelled lots with my daughter when she was small, at 6 months (NYC, 7 hours), 14 months (Hawaii, 18 hours), 20 Months (Hong Kong, 14 hours), 23 Months (Florida, 9 hours) as well as several short haul flights to Europe (we're UK based). I've never had any problems on flights with her (and i travel alone with her) people have always been understanding, oddly the longer haul flights have often been easier than the short haul. I've never had much trouble buying nappies (diapers) overseas, although the first time we went away i took milk powder, steriliser, bottles etc as i'd been warned in advance that i wouldn't be able to get the right brand of milk in the US, but i never found getting milk (once she was over a year) anywhere. Hong Kong was the place i enjoyed taking her the most and when we were there it was hot, humid and during the rainy season.. but while i got plagued by mosquitos she didnt get bothered by them at all.
I don't think theres a problem taking babies/toddlers to not so modern countries, i read of a couple who took their six month old backpacking in Peru, i sometimes wish i'd taken my daughter to less regular places while it was cheaper to do so.