Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Travel Tips & Trip Ideas
Reload this Page >

Travelers: where do you keep your list of medications ?

Old Oct 4th, 2020, 01:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Referring to access for emergency911 type situations?
If I am away from home base and have medical emergency the people that respond need to know my medications.
I have a card in my wallet..MDs, emergency contacts with medications. However, I don't always carry my wallet as it usually resides in my purse.
When I traveled put of town (in pre-Covid days) carried these items in "old passport holder" with strap that goes across body. In "fanny pack" era this worked but hate these. Guess I could do same in everyday life at home, just seems weird to wear around town and round house.
My grandson (19) says I should put in my I Phone since it is with me at all times. I wonder if emergency personnel - paramedics look there? Guess I could check that out with local ambulance company.
In distant past "Medic Alert' bracelet or "dog tags" were great as emergency number would give access to medical info.. I am told "Apple watch' would be answer to my dilemma, although very expensive.
Note: just turned 85, live alone, and trying to stay active & being a RN for 50 years very aware of medical issues.
Lots of my time is spent alone due to precautions of covid 19.
Appreciate any feedback/ideas.👍🏼

Old Oct 4th, 2020, 01:34 PM

In my phone. Also, doctors and family names and phone #s.....In a notes app.
Old Oct 4th, 2020, 02:04 PM
Forum Moderator

Moved to Travel Tips
Old Oct 4th, 2020, 03:09 PM

My father had no ID on him when he died while walking in a park. That may influence my decision to always have a clearly visible card in a plastic sleeve dangling from whatever bag of any size I leave the house with.
Old Oct 4th, 2020, 06:08 PM

There are several products that hold a USB chip on which you load all of your information. Bracelet, necklace, key fob, etc.

Here's one website:

https://www.elegantmedicalalert.com/...html?viewall=1

And there are some products that show your scannable personal QR Code...

https://steelidjewelry.com/Medical-J...e-id-bracelet/

Amazon sells a bracelet that holds both a USB flash drive and a printed medical info card.... sort of high tech and low tech in one.

Amazon Amazon
Old Oct 4th, 2020, 08:41 PM

It's never occurred to me that this might be an issue, but as it happens, I have a phone app to access the basics of my GP's medical record on me, so medications and test results are there. Assuming I'm conscious and lucid enough to tell them, and to unlock the phone....

And I always carry a copy of the last prescription record with the pills themselves, but they'd be wherever I'm staying
Old Oct 4th, 2020, 11:29 PM

The problem with keeping them on your phone is that you (should) need a PIN to unlock it, and if you are unable to communicate your phone is pretty useless.
My old Windows phone had an app which displayed In Case of Emergency info on the lock screen, name, blood group, illnesses and ICE contact numbers. I don't know if iPhones have something similar but I haven't found anything for my Anndroid.
I do still list my family under ICE in my phone book, as well as by their own names.

So far I am lucky enough not to need medications but it is a good point you raise. I always carry my ID with me, as required by law here, so I may add an ICE card of some sort to the little wallet I carry (a Secrid, tiny, metal and easy to pop in a pocket).
Old Oct 5th, 2020, 03:31 AM

The problem with keeping them on your phone is that you (should) need a PIN to unlock it, and if you are unable to communicate your phone is pretty useless.
My old Windows phone had an app which displayed In Case of Emergency info on the lock screen, name, blood group, illnesses and ICE contact numbers. I don't know if iPhones have something similar but I haven't found anything for my Anndroid.
I do still list my family under ICE in my phone book, as well as by their own names.

So far I am lucky enough not to need medications but it is a good point you raise. I always carry my ID with me, as required by law here, so I may add an ICE card of some sort to the little wallet I carry (a Secrid, tiny, metal and easy to pop in a pocket).
Old Oct 5th, 2020, 05:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If at home the paramedics look on your refrigerator. I have my phone locked so not sure anyone could read info. I am on a mini trip in state at the beach right now and have my med list in my purse. If diabetic wear an id bracelet.
Old Oct 5th, 2020, 08:08 AM

pin for phone

I don't keep my phone locked, so anyone can open it at any time....so no pin needed to access my information.
Old Oct 5th, 2020, 09:56 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
I can sign into my account at my doctor’s website which lists my prescriptions. I also print out a copy. We have needed this information a couple of times while traveling abroad. Make sure the drugs are listed in the Latin names, not just brand names, as those are what the foreign doctors understood.
Old Oct 5th, 2020, 10:46 AM

I don't have medications that would come into issue, but I do travel alone, and most often these days walk alone in my own home city neighborhood. I recently realized I would be unidentifiable, say I fainted in the park or something like that. I now have a simple hand-written index card in a plastic case that says who I am, my home address, and my medical provider for Urgent Care/Emergency Room (plus a couple emergency contact people to call) should I keel over and no one knows who I am.

To the OP sorry your post got moved, not many people read thing forum ...