Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Travel Tips & Trip Ideas (https://www.fodors.com/community/travel-tips-and-trip-ideas/)
-   -   Travel Ideas for Family with 3 young boys (https://www.fodors.com/community/travel-tips-and-trip-ideas/travel-ideas-for-family-with-3-young-boys-1039946/)

martite Mar 11th, 2015 06:28 PM

Travel Ideas for Family with 3 young boys

Hi, I'm looking for trip ideas for mid June with 3 boys (ages 7 and 4). We're not looking to camp and we need a short 3-4 night trip. I was thinking of taking Amtrak's California Zephyr to the Grand Canyon but the packaged trip is about 11K which is too pricey for us. We've never been to the Grand Canyon and I suspect we're a bit late in getting any kind of hotel reservations. We've been to Door County in WI and I was hoping for something different. We've been to Boston to visit family as well. Any Ideas for a nice 3 night stay and possible hotel recommendations for family of 5 would be awesome. Thanks.

janisj Mar 11th, 2015 08:44 PM

>>looking for trip ideas for mid June<< . . . From where?

Do you want to fly or drive?

martite Mar 12th, 2015 07:03 AM

From Chicago, preferably drive.

janisj Mar 12th, 2015 08:46 AM

Sorry -- I don't know the midwest all that well (except for Chicago - which doesn't help you much ;) )

San Diego would be a fabulous family vacation destination, but an awfully long drive.

I suggest you re-post on the United States forum -- many MANY more Fodorites will see your question there.

thursdaysd Mar 12th, 2015 01:51 PM

Agree about reposting. First thought was Niagara, second Montreal.

tomfuller Mar 12th, 2015 02:35 PM

The California Zephyr is no where near the Grand Canyon.
To go to the Grand Canyon via Amtrak use the Southwest Chief to either Flagstaff or Williams Junction. Flagstaff is for a rental car and Williams is to ride the Grand Canyon Railroad up to the South Rim.
I'll be on the Zephyr next week from Sacramento to Galesburg IL.

out_and_about Mar 12th, 2015 04:37 PM

I'm a bit late adding to this post, but would certainly suggest you consider heading northward into Canada. Your family might enjoy the Toronto area, and take in the Canadian side of Niagra Falls, considered to be the more impressive experience. and you get good value on the American dollar exchange now. Not as far as driving to Montreal, for example. Not quite full tourist season either as their school year extends towards the end of June, I think.

martite Mar 12th, 2015 06:10 PM

Thank you all so much for your responses. The Canada trip sounds like a lovely idea. I think I'll have to save that for the future though because the kids don't have passports yet. We'll have to get those done sometime.

Thanks

thursdaysd Mar 12th, 2015 06:46 PM

It's only March. You should be able to get passports before the middle of June.

janisj Mar 12th, 2015 10:28 PM

>>You should be able to get passports before the middle of June.<<

yep -- 3 to 4 weeks tops.