Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Travel Tips & Trip Ideas (https://www.fodors.com/community/travel-tips-and-trip-ideas/)
-   -   Travel Clothes (https://www.fodors.com/community/travel-tips-and-trip-ideas/travel-clothes-823604/)

Narnya Jan 26th, 2010 11:58 AM

Travel Clothes

Looking for some clothing for an upcoming late-Sept/early-Oct trip to various parts of Italy and to Paris. As a carry-on traveller, I usually bring along comfortable, casual clothes that are near the end of its life with me (not in condition, but lack of desire). However, this next trip abroad will be a longer trip and I won't have enough "disposable" clothes set aside. Can anyone recommend some vendors who make travel-oriented, packable and versatile women's clothing? Petite sizes preferred.

thursdaysd Jan 26th, 2010 02:56 PM

Try travelsmith.com

suze Jan 27th, 2010 06:34 AM

Chico.com has nice casual clothes (normal fabrics) plus their Traverer's line (synthetic knit that does not wrinkle). Ditto the TravelSmith suggestion.

Besides the internet, if you're near department stores, I would go in person somewhere like Nordstrom or Macy's. Or wherever you usually shop for your every-day clothes, and just look for fabrics and fits that are travel-worthy.

mardee1000 Jan 27th, 2010 04:25 PM

I love Chico's Travelers Collection - I've been wearing them for years whenever I travel. They pack light, dry quickly and are blissfully wrinkle-free. They're all mix-and-match, too, and come in nice colors. Magellan.com also has a line of travel clothing similar to Chico's and Travel Smith, although I think that Chico's collection is the most stylish. If you go to Chico's website (www.chicos.com - I think the link above is wrong), they have some of their Travelers clothing on sale right now.

mardee1000 Jan 27th, 2010 04:27 PM

Sorry, after my mention of the dead link, I did it myself - it should be www.magellans.com

suze Jan 28th, 2010 10:02 AM

I think Chico's Travelers line is very fashionable and pack-friendly, but the fabric is 101% synthetic, so not something I'd ever use for warm or hot weather travel (but should be OK for this person in Europe in the fall).

MareW Jan 28th, 2010 08:36 PM

Lucy.com sells workout clothes, but some of their pants also work well for travel. They are lightweight and come in different lengths. I first heard about them on another travel board. I've also found petite pants that travel well at LLBean.

suze Jan 29th, 2010 06:43 AM

The mention of LLBean reminded me of another good mail order resource, Lands End.

mardee1000 Jan 29th, 2010 03:30 PM

Actually, synthethic fabrics can be cooler against the skin than natural fabrics. Cotton fabric tends to draw in moisture and perspiration, which can be uncomfortable. That's why runners generally wear synthetic fabrics when running, rather than natural fibers--synthetics will "wick" the moisture away from the body and make you feel more comfortable.

thursdaysd Jan 29th, 2010 03:53 PM

Believe me, if you're somewhere really hot and humid, like SE Asia, you do not want to wear synthetics!

bettyk Jan 29th, 2010 04:59 PM

Most of my travel clothes come from my local mall. Macy's, JC Penny, Ross, TJ Maxx, Marshall's, etc. You just need to look for fabrics that are climate appropriate.

I like to take at least one pair of knit slacks as well as a pair of stretch jeans (lighter weight than denim). They wear well, don't wrinkle and pack light.

I don't worry about wrinkles because most of the cotton or cotton blend fabrics I take are easily refreshed by spritzing with water and smoothing/hanging.

djkbooks Jan 29th, 2010 09:31 PM

Years ago, when we started doing some serious traveling, I made all purchases with travel in mind and was not impressed with items at Chico's, TravelSmith, Magellans, etc.

I buy almost everything from LLBean and LandsEnd, mostly for their liberal return policies (though I've returned very few items), quality, fabric, fit, classic styles.

I live in black slacks (or skirts) and the Baysider twills at LLBean are fantastic. They're comfortable, have very deep front pockets (handy for travel), and drip dry overnight with no ironing required. They also pack extremely well. Wrinkles, if any, hang out quickly. I also love their quality tees and sweaters (ditto LandsEnd). I always pack a pair or two of LandsEnd sportknit pants (in black, of course) because they fit beautifully, are flattering, are versatile, and are very, very comfortable (especially on the plane). Great for lounging and double as pj's with a tee.

I always, always, bring an LLBean H2Off raincoat, essential for the unpredictable weather, waterproof and windproof. Hood precludes the need to drag an umbrella all about. I prefer unlined with a polartec or cashmere sweater under for extra warmth.

I only pack items I love wearing and won't mind repeating several times.

suze Jan 31st, 2010 08:30 AM

Trust me, you do NOT want to wear Chico's Travelers line anywhere warm, hot, or humid.

Narnya Feb 11th, 2010 11:39 AM

Great sources, folks! Found some great stuff at Lucy and also at TJ Maxx, though it took a lot of rummaging. Less luck at Chico's... they had nice stuff, but less was available in my size. Still working through the other suggestions, so keep 'em coming!

Sydney2K Apr 13th, 2010 08:46 PM

What would people suggest for hot and humid climes?

thursdaysd Apr 14th, 2010 06:07 AM

"What would people suggest for hot and humid climes?" - cotton! Synthetics are awfully uncomfortable in those climates. If it's part of a longer trip you buy when you get there, otherwise, take cotton with you.

spcfa Apr 14th, 2010 10:27 AM

If you are fond of bargains, you could check out the "Activewear" section at TJs or Marshalls. Nike and Columbia both have clothing that is designed to wick and dry quickly and doesn't wrinkle. I have added a number of these pieces to my travel wardrobe at very low cost over the last 5 or 6 years. I'm a very light packer who keeps separate travel clothes for their unique functional qualities rather than their appearance.

Neuman605 Apr 14th, 2010 10:58 AM

Amen to the separate clothes just for travel!! Me too, finally getting husband to see the light!

suze Apr 14th, 2010 11:44 AM

For hot and humid climates I travel with 100% cotton & a few linen pieces. I wear knee length shorts or capris with a tank top or sleeveless blouse, and comfortable but nice looking sandals.

But more than the weather, it depends what you will be doing on your trip. Is this to European city, a beach vacation, at a fancy resort, hiking in the jungle. In other words, your situation and what type of activities are as important as the weather, for your wardrobe choices.

cornelius01 Apr 14th, 2010 01:34 PM

Going to a wedding in July in tuscany and wearing complete outfit from Chicos and in fact most of my travel clothes are freom the Zenergy line from Chicos....very comfy and wash easy and dry by morning.