Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Travel Tips & Trip Ideas (https://www.fodors.com/community/travel-tips-and-trip-ideas/)
-   -   Tom Harper River Cruise Company? (https://www.fodors.com/community/travel-tips-and-trip-ideas/tom-harper-river-cruise-company-1043784/)

travelchat Apr 26th, 2015 01:58 PM

Tom Harper River Cruise Company?

I've posted a query on the Cruise Forum a few days ago with no response as yet. Wondering if anyone reading this has heard of or has had experience with this fairly new river cruise company? I'm considering a week Bordeaux river cruise which encompasses four additional land days in Spain. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

janisj Apr 27th, 2015 09:16 AM

Even fewer fodorites read this forum than the cruise board.

If you are asking about cruises in Europe you will get more 'eyes' on the Europe forum (and also check Cruise Critic)

travelchat Apr 27th, 2015 01:45 PM

Thanks, Janisj!

lilla May 1st, 2015 05:17 PM

We took a trip with Tom Harper last year and couldn't have been happier. It was their first Russian cruise. It was so nice to have all meals, tips, and tours included. Our tour director was outstanding, and everyone went the extra mile to be sure we were happy. I can definitely recommend them.

travelchat May 3rd, 2015 07:15 PM

Lilla
Thanks for your input. What size was your tour group and were you on a ship as a "group within" other passengers aboard? I'm curious because I understand Tom Harper has only one ship actually under their name currently. Do they have separate local tour leaders for their specific itinerary?

lilla May 25th, 2015 08:43 AM

We were the only passengers on the river ship that Tom Harper had contracted with. Our group had about 80 people. Since the ship was only half full, we had plenty of space and attention. We had one tour director and local guides in St. Petersburg and Moscow. We were divided into two groups, and our local guides were with us the entire time in each of the cities, so we got to know them and them us.

It's my understanding that Tom Harper contracts for most of their ships, rather than own them. We really appreciated their all-inclusive pricing and hope to travel with them again.

doug_stallings May 28th, 2015 07:42 AM

Tom Harper went out of business a few weeks ago, so I would not book anything with the company.

doug_stallings May 28th, 2015 07:49 AM

Or rather I should say they "went dark." Apparently they have not yet filed for bankruptcy, which puts booked passengers in limbo.

marcsinny Aug 15th, 2015 07:25 PM

The bankruptcy filing was entered in June, 2015 by Tom Harper Cruises LLC, the company under which Newton, Mass.-based Tom Harper River Journeys operated. It states that the company’s estimated assets ranged from between $500,000 and $1 million and that its estimated liabilities were between $1 million and $10 million.The filing also states that there will be no funds available to distribute to uninsured creditors. It is signed by Bret Gordon, CEO of Tom Harper Cruises.

Bret Gordon notified only very few clients who had been stranded in Scotland. There are around 463 creditors who did not receive any notice from Bret Gordon.

ericlwarer Sep 10th, 2015 03:11 AM

anyone looking at ways to sue these folks by pooling resources.
I'm out 11k.

eliztravels2 Sep 11th, 2015 03:11 AM

11K, Ouch! Not much point in suing if they don’t have any assets to distribute. It seems as an uninsured creditor you are SOL. However, you might have some recourse if you paid with a credit card. Many credit card companies reverse charges if you don’t get what you paid for. A small airline here in Canada, JetsGo, went belly up the day before spring break a few years ago. Stranded would-be travellers who had used their Visa were reimbursed. Check your credit card terms and conditions.