Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Travel Tips & Trip Ideas (https://www.fodors.com/community/travel-tips-and-trip-ideas/)
-   -   tips from recent travel to paris (https://www.fodors.com/community/travel-tips-and-trip-ideas/tips-from-recent-travel-to-paris-934290/)

jfergusonjr May 7th, 2012 03:57 AM

tips from recent travel to paris

There are several things all travelers to Paris (and Europe generally) should know:
1. I earlier warned against anyone flying United or its affiliates to Paris from Dulles and back because they, since the merger with Continental, continue to screw passengers by using the Boeing 757, a single-aisle, three seats on either side, sardine can plane for the seven hour plus flight both ways. AVOID AT ALL COSTS!!! Be SURE to check the plane you'll be on to ensure it's a Boeing or Air Bus plane with two aisles (equivalent to a Boeing 767 or 777) or you will find yourself uncomfortably crammed for the long flight.
2. Now Delta also has a problem with its planes. Be SURE to check that your plane has individual screens for EACH seat, not six screens scattered through the plane that allows no choice. The attendants apologized the plane was an "old one," but this hardly mattered. That Delta would use such planes, after extracting big dollars for tickets, speaks volumes about their concern for their passengers.
3. There is a new system in effect for VAT Tax refunds that greatly simplifies the process. Instead of standing on a long line with your purchases, just take your receipt to a VAT Tax machine, which will scan the bar code on it and "validate" it. Once this is done, just put the receipt in the envelope and mail it. Nothing could be easier!
4. It greatly simplifies things to get a Customs Declaration form when you leave for Europe and fill it out with passport and return flight information. Then, the night before you leave, fill it out as necessary. It will be done and you will avoid trying to do it on the plane, a tricky thing at best. Convenient and easy.

Rastaguytoday May 7th, 2012 10:47 PM

Are these travel tips or just ranting?

Shar May 8th, 2012 12:44 PM

thanks for the tip on United. I have been a loyal United flyr for years but I am not very happy in the merger. Premmier has been downgraded and if you want economy plus, you hve to pay for it. too much mileage built up now to switch abut I sure am thinking bout it.

dutyfree May 9th, 2012 05:17 PM

"speaks volumes for their concern"?

You do realize that Delta merged/took over Northwest and they have been redoing all of the airplanes as fast as they can.Northwest had some really old 747's and 767's so they can only redo so many planes a month-most of the international planes have been redone with flat beds in BE and individual screens on the coach backs.
Continental has used 757/single aisles on alot of their flights for years as the routes from the East Coast are shorter in hours so they use the 757 to save fuel and put the bigger planes on more productive routes.
Trip report-think not?

Marianmalta3 May 11th, 2012 08:18 AM

Fly emirates best service, all the way

Shar May 14th, 2012 08:05 AM

emirates goes to Paris? Will have to look into their schedules....

Roger1x May 18th, 2012 10:49 AM

United has stopped flying the 757 between Dulles and Paris for some time now in part because they had to refuel in Canada on the return flight when there were bad headwinds.

United now uses 767-300 between Paris and Dulles. Sadly the bigger plane doesn't change the fact that you still get United flight attendants and have to deal with United ground staff at Dulles.

cristinaposs Jul 19th, 2012 10:43 PM

Thanks for useful advices.

boots08 Aug 2nd, 2012 01:09 PM

Thanks for the tips, jfergusonjr.

Sau_Laury Aug 20th, 2012 01:03 AM

Thanx for sharing your story, I'll be careful with airlines

robert367 Oct 10th, 2012 09:45 PM

I like emirates because it provides best services so emirates is best for you.

PeaceOut Oct 31st, 2012 01:32 PM

In Aug, we flew United all the way and had that skinny plane on all flights:
Denver- Newark- Lisbon
Paris- Newark- Denver

It was not comfy!

dutyfree Nov 14th, 2012 04:14 PM

Get Global Entry and you won't have to worry about doing your form the night before;standing in line with everyone else and be through customs in 5 minutes!

rosstaylor2440 Feb 20th, 2013 12:22 AM

This is amazing tip, journey would be nice thanks!

luxetransport Feb 20th, 2013 03:07 AM

Good advice & tips for traveling to Paris, I love to travel on different places. Thanks for posting these helpful tips.

jamesonridley Mar 4th, 2013 02:51 AM

Thanks for sharing this wonderful tips

jamesonaugust Mar 20th, 2013 06:11 AM

You may think about the metro in Paris. It is well run and goes everywhere town. It will cost you way but a taxi.

tailsock Apr 23rd, 2013 06:31 PM

nice trip report