Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Travel Tips & Trip Ideas (https://www.fodors.com/community/travel-tips-and-trip-ideas/)
-   -   The most beautiful countries in the world ... quantified (https://www.fodors.com/community/travel-tips-and-trip-ideas/the-most-beautiful-countries-in-the-world-quantified-1704866/)

scrb11 Feb 11th, 2022 07:45 AM

The most beautiful countries in the world ... quantified

Some UK website came up with rankings based on scores for protected areas as set apparently by the legislatures in the countries.

But beauty isn’t just something you can see. The study also totted up the number of protected areas in each place. That’s right: governmental legislation can be beautiful, too. All the countries were then ranked by working out how many beautiful things they contained per 100,000 square kilometres.

The results are somewhat predictable. With its 17,000 islands, 147 volcanoes and countless world-beating coral reefs and rainforests, Indonesia came out top. Then there’s famously picturesque New Zealand, renowned for its dramatic mountain ranges, vast glaciers and huge number of national parks. Third was Colombia, with its contrasts of Amazonian jungle, Andean mountains and Caribbean coast.

Here’s the top ten in full (alongside their ‘natural beauty score’ out of ten):

1. Indonesia, 7.77
2. New Zealand, 7.27
3. Colombia, 7.16
4. Tanzania, 6.98
5. Mexico, 6.96
6. Kenya, 6.7
7. India, 6.54
8. France, 6.51
9. Papua New Guinea, 6.39
10. Comoros, 6.22
https://www.timeout.com/news/reveale...untries-021022

Out of the top 5, only been to NZ and Bali.

Bali is beautiful but not the most beautiful place I've seen.

Iceland must be too small to have a lot of protected areas?

gruezi Feb 11th, 2022 08:16 AM

Interesting list but I think their quantifiers somehow leave out some important contenders for beauty in terms of how we might experience it while visiting.

I haven't been to Colombia nor Indonesia and believe they are beautiful, but I love France and Tanzania and still they would never make my personal top 10 for most beautiful countries.

danon Feb 11th, 2022 08:32 AM

How many travellers visit the entire country ?
I like Mexico City, but hardly know the rest of the country.
Another silly ranking.

november_moon Feb 11th, 2022 09:00 AM

I think that rankings are pretty much always a method to generate buzz - spur debate and discussion. And mission accomplished!

I've only been to 2 countries on the top 10 - Indonesia and Mexico. Both are incredibly beautiful places, so no issues with them being on the list. The MOST beautiful that I've been - I don't know, but they are great. We're going to France in May, and I am sure it will also be beautiful.

hetismij2 Feb 11th, 2022 09:01 AM

No Costa Rica? I'm shocked.

Jean Feb 11th, 2022 09:47 AM

I hate these lists, but I find them interesting in their mindless approach to ranking things.

Somebody or somebodies thought of up a list of things that could be counted, and a computer just tallied up the number (high score to smaller countries) and size of these particular sites per square kilometer. Factors in this "survey" include separate calculations for the length of coastline and the areas of coral reef. So, too bad for land-locked countries or those that aren't located in the zone where coral reefs exist (0.1% of the ocean's surface). Another was the number of glaciers, so no points for countries close to the equator. And I don't understand the importance of volcanoes in a beauty competition. Where are the points for beautiful lakes, rivers, waterfalls? Stunning coastal vistas?

Interestingly, Indonesia has the highest score overall but ranks very low in protected areas. Sweden was last in the overall score (#50), and Switzerland didn't do much better (#46) but both dwarf Indonesia in the number and size of protected areas. Canada didn't even make the list.

P_M Feb 11th, 2022 09:58 AM

Beauty can never be quantified, it's entirely a matter of opinion.

UdderlyHopeless Feb 11th, 2022 10:02 AM

I applaud countries for setting aside protected areas, so I'm glad these countries are being recognized. I haven't been to all countries (just a tiny minority of countries on Earth), but I still think the USA is the most beautiful in terms of natural wonders. Mostly because we have it *all." From incredible waterfalls, to the Rocky Mountains, to Death Valley, to temperate rain forests, to tropical rain forests, to sandy beaches, to rocky Atlantic coastline, to soaring Mt. Denali, to active volcanos, to the Grand Canyon, to Yellowstone and its geysers, to the Everglades, etc. My goal before I die is to visit every single state, because there is so much right here in my own country.

xcountry Feb 11th, 2022 10:41 AM

I love these lists, especially if they include Las Vegas. Then you can be assured that 100 posters will write in to say how much they hate these lists.

The way these findings are calculated would work against very large countries with a bazillion miles of territory you would never want to visit. Like Canada, unless you are a black fly. And regardless of how beautiful and protected many areas are.

Moderator3 Feb 11th, 2022 12:32 PM

Moved to Travel Topics

Aquaindy Feb 24th, 2022 10:03 AM

Interesting List

The list is interesting. I was wondering by what measures the countries on the list were chosen. However, I found the list quite stunning.

zebec Feb 25th, 2022 08:50 AM

On behalf of black flies everywhere, I want to apologize for XC's above insensitive remark. Insects everywhere have been wrongly accused of being pestilent.
Flies are not the source of infection----man is.

I am done. The whir of wings

Nicolettaaa Apr 6th, 2022 03:04 AM

Italy and UK

The most beautiful country in the world is certainly my own country, Italy!!! But I also love France and UK, cant wait to pass a few weeks there!

ebrahimchahardovali1 Jun 5th, 2022 04:59 AM

Maldives and Sri Lanka should be up there too.

scrb11 Jun 5th, 2022 09:33 AM

I don't think too many will be going to Sri Lanka this year.

If you want an example of how badly having someone like Trump could go wrong, read up about "Gota."

olivierbourgeois5276 Jun 8th, 2022 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by hetismij2 (Post 17332296)
No Costa Rica? I'm shocked.

me too ... but I think it's related to the overall size of the country in relation to the surface of the protected areas ... for example France should not be in the ranking if you only
take into consideration the land... but it also takes into consideration the maritime spaces