Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Travel Tips & Trip Ideas (https://www.fodors.com/community/travel-tips-and-trip-ideas/)
-   -   Suitcase Weights (https://www.fodors.com/community/travel-tips-and-trip-ideas/suitcase-weights-458088/)

aliced Dec 7th, 2008 02:56 PM

Suitcase Weights

Got nailed last week returning from 5 wks in CA with excess baggage weight-- we checked our standard large bags which were relatively filled with clothing (not shoes or books)but still came in at 55 lbs. We find that each bag weighs 15# empty! Why make a luggage size that, when filled, will be overweight? I love my Lark Pushcart, but at these fines, looking for something else. Who has fantastic luggage to recommend? Anyone check Kipling? Does it rip? Anyone have Delsey Helium line? Thanks everyone....

janisj Dec 7th, 2008 03:10 PM

easy solution - use a smaller suitcase . . .

&quot;<i>Why make a luggage size that, when filled, will be overweight?</i>&quot;

Well, for one - the limits used to be higher.

and - there is no law one must cram a suitcase to bursting.

If you use large bags, always weigh your luggage before heading to the airport.

toedtoes Dec 7th, 2008 06:19 PM

I agree with Janisj to use a smaller bag. 24&quot; is the biggest you need for checked.

Even with a 15lb bag empty, you had 40lbs of clothing. That seems like way overpacking.

It sounds like you need to look at some of the &quot;how to pack light&quot; threads and learn to reduce what you're bringing. 80lbs of clothing is pretty excessive (guessing that &quot;our standard large bags&quot; equal two bags).

Carrybean Dec 8th, 2008 01:27 AM

I have Kipling bags I've used for years &amp; have never had them rip.

suze Dec 8th, 2008 06:51 AM

Truly, use a smaller suitcase, problem solved.

I travel with a 24&quot; that I check thru. It weighs approx. 10 lbs empty and 25-30 lbs. packed.

I would not want to be hauling around a 55+ lb. suitcase even if they would let me check it for free.

I have looked but not found luggage that is much lighter (regardless of the pricey labels) unless you are willing to give up the wheels/handle and use an unstructured duffle bag, for example.

bdjtbenson Dec 8th, 2008 07:44 AM

My convertible carry-on weighs 3# empty and about 15# packed. As was stated above, just because a suitcase can hold more doesn't mean you have to put more in.

suze Dec 8th, 2008 11:41 AM

Can I ask what brand has wheels and only weight 3 lbs. please?

aliced Dec 8th, 2008 12:58 PM

Yes, I realize I could purchase a smaller bag, but for extended travel why not use what I have? I'm not going to apologize for bringing what I like and own, esp. for a 5 wk trip where we unpack once. Our friends winter for 2 months in places-- take only what can go in a 24 incher?! We cruise and travel abroad frequently where I realize there are other weight limitations. The new US rules are what must be contended with for now. Saw the Delsey Helium brand today in several styles, all remarkably lighter than my 22&quot; carryon. I will probably pick up a 25&quot;. When I bought my large piece carry-on was a whole new world. Guess it's time for new luggage. Thanks.

suze Dec 8th, 2008 03:00 PM

No one said you should apologize for packing how ever much you want! But then I don't think it's really reasonable to come and be complaining about the overage fees.

Plus you can pay a LOT of overweight charges on your old luggage before you'd be saving money by buying an expensive brand-new but slightly lighter weight suitcase(s).

toedtoes Dec 8th, 2008 04:24 PM

Aliced - I think the point people are trying to make is that you have a choice. If you don't want to get &quot;nailed&quot; with overweight charges, then you either:

1. Use a smaller bag and learn to pack light so that you don't have to worry;

or

2. Get a travel scale and weigh your bags everytime you pack to make sure you're within the limits.

suze Dec 9th, 2008 06:54 AM

And, at least when you pack at home, you can use the bathroom scale. You can get a pretty accurate starting weight that way.

Every time I check in a suitcase at the airport, I make a point to notice how much it weighs on the airline's scales, as a point of reference.

Even though aliced's suitcase is a larger size than mine, still this method would work for knowing in advance if you were over the limit.

NigelWaring Dec 9th, 2008 10:26 PM

We never used to have any problem with baggage, two of us could get everything into a single case and still be well under the limit. Now we have a camera, video, laptop and umpteen other toys that just about fill a suitcase and all have heavy power supplies. As you get older you find that medications are sure to push you over the limit. Then there's the cruise ships that want to take your mind off their food by having formal nights, more clothes that we don't really need or want.

LSky Dec 10th, 2008 05:27 PM

Time for new luggage and may as well get a little luggage scale. It won't wiegh that much.

I'm just curious as to what people bring with them that their luggage wieghs so much? No judgement, just curious.

toedtoes Dec 10th, 2008 05:56 PM

Lsky - If I remember correctly, on my trip this summer my 24&quot; bag weighed 28lbs packed. I think what put it to that weight was the tripod (under 3lbs) and three books.

On the trip back, I put all my purchases in an extra carry-on. Otherwise, the cast iron sheep doorstop and the cast iron trivet would have added another 7-10lbs. But even then I'd still be under 55lbs.

Of course, none of that includes my camera gear which is in a carryon bag of its own and weighs around 15-25lbs. :-d

NigelWaring Dec 11th, 2008 02:50 PM

I don't think that we could get away with that much carry-on when leaving from any Australian port. I'm hoping that the downturn in traffic might make the airlines and the airport owners rethink the restrictions that they've introduced.

aliced Dec 19th, 2008 04:48 PM

Ok I'm still hunting down lightweight luggage, but typically a 24-25&quot; bag weighs 10-12 lbs EMPTY and that is the 'light' category offered by Delsey or TravelPro or High Sierra. No bag of substantial size is 3#, sorry. What got us to 55# is going to CA for a month plus-- 3 pairs pants,1 pr capris, 2 pairs shorts, 2 lightweight dress-up jackets (not worn!), tanks, tees both shortsleeve and longsleeve, bathing suit, fleece hoodie, visor, sunhat, socks, 4-5 sets underwear. We washed clothes about once a week but found we wore the warmer-weather clothing and not the colder. And in San Diego area you do not perspire, but with spending time w/three little ones and a puppy, you change from warmer clothes in the morning, then into cooler clothes, and after 4p back to warmer clothes and clothes do get soiled. Sneakers, 'go out' flats, flip flops, sensible walking shoes (I dont wear sneakers out)and there you go to 40# of clothing. No dressy clothes or sportsjackets, but stuff for the granddaughters both ways (some in CA and some in NJ), Christmas shopping, etc. We do go to dinner in very upscale restaurants, and even wearing jeans, change shoes and tops accordingly. Think I will be buying the Delsey Helium 25&quot; in extra lite and travel tote, much larger than my old tote so for a single overnight in our upcoming 3-wk itinerary, I need only unpack/use the tote and leave the other in the trunk.

toedtoes Dec 19th, 2008 06:24 PM

OK, looking at your list and assuming this doesn't include your &quot;travel&quot; outfit (that you're wearing on the plane):

3 pairs pants - cut 2 if you're wearing pants on the plane, 1 if you're wearing something else)
1 pr capris (cut if you're wearing a pair on the plane)
2 pairs shorts (cut both if you're wearing a pair on the plane, cut to 1 if you're wearing something else)
This basically leaves you with 2 pants, 1 capri, 1 shorts.

2 lightweight dress-up jackets (not worn!) (cut both)
tanks (no more than 3 total)
tees shortsleeve (no more than 3 total)
tees longsleeve (cut)
ADD: 2 longsleeve shirts that can be worn alone or as a lightweight jacket over the tanks and tees)
That gives you 5 cool weather tops, and 2 warmer weather that can be mixed and matched with the tanks and tees for more use and worn as a lightweight jacket)

bathing suit (keep)
fleece hoodie (wear on the plane to reduce packing space or skip if you're wearing another fleece/sweater/jacket)
visor/sunhat (pick one leave the other home)
socks (keep)
4-5 sets underwear (keep)
Sneakers - I dont wear sneakers out (if they're not being worn &quot;out&quot;, then leave them home)
'go out' flats (keep)
flip flops (keep if needed for pool, etc. or skip and wear the flats as slippers in the hotel)
sensible walking shoes (keep)

Rather than changing clothes throughout the day, use layers. Wear a tank and long sleeve shirt in the a.m., drop the shirt in during the day, then put the shirt back on in the p.m. - the shirt won't get dirty as quickly so you can wear it longer before washing. Doing this with the kids will help also as you can cover a spill during the day with the overshirt or remove an overshirt that gets spilled on and not have to change clothes.

Even if you need to change from shorts to pants or pants to shorts during the day, pack for one outfit per day and adjust the laundry schedule as needed. For example, if you wear the pants for 3 hours in the a.m. and 2 hours in the p.m. and wear the shorts for 5 hours during the day, then you're only wearing each for half the day and should only have to wash half as often.

If the little ones get something dirty, then wash it in the sink as soon as you are back in the hotel. By the next day, it will be dry and ready to wear again. With three to four outfits per person, any one piece has three to four days to wash and dry, but the sooner you do it, the sooner you have it for replacement needs.

If you keep your clothes down to one outfit per day and three to four days of outfits, then you won't have 40lbs of clothing. If you're trying to have three outfits per day and seven days of outfits, then you're going to be overweight.

MLTimes Dec 19th, 2008 07:17 PM

If I brought what Aliced does on vacation, there wouldn't be anything left in my closet at home.

janisj Dec 19th, 2008 09:34 PM

I agree - that is much more than I'd ever take. But even if I did, I'm not sure it could weigh 55 lbs - unless your shoes are really, REALLY heavy and you took full sized toiletries.

Rastaguytoday Dec 20th, 2008 12:12 PM

Folks - One thing I don't see is the concept of buy and dump. Buy things along the way, particularly if it's a long trip, such as the 2 months listed.

Dump what you no longer need for the rest of the trip.

This also helps to recycle and refresh your wardrobe as you go.

Your weight &quot;penalty&quot; reduction might just pay for new items along the way.