Suitcase/packing question-Airline Security

Old Aug 1st, 2004, 03:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suitcase/packing question-Airline Security

Have read the do's and don't's about packing for the security at the airports but wanted to ask this:
When we pack our bags, would it be to our benefit to print out a list of what is in each suitcase (copy of which is with us and one laying right on top when they open the suitcase)? Have read so much about stealing so it was a thought we had.
Should I put my medicine in my carry on?
Thank you
Old Aug 1st, 2004, 05:08 PM

I always carry my medication in my carry-on bag. I also take a 4 day supply and place it in a separate container and keep it in my purse (DH places same in plastic wrap in his pant pocket or briefcase depending on type of travel) as double insurance. I guess you can document what's in your bag but I doubt security would read it and take your word - but it could help if you lost your bag to have an inventory for insurance purposes - but I could be wrong.
Old Aug 2nd, 2004, 12:29 AM

ALWAYS keep any medication with you. Luggage DOES get delayed, misrouted, and sometimes lost -- you don't need the problems of trying to get replacement prescriptions.
Old Aug 2nd, 2004, 03:48 AM
sandi

Medicines should always travel with you in your carryon bag. As to a list of what is included in yur checked luggage, we always keep a list of what we packed with us, and a copy is slipped inbetween the layers of clothing in the suitcase. Whether security reads this, or cares is, anyones guess. I'm more concerned that I have a list of what was packed should the bag be lost or delayed.

Old Aug 2nd, 2004, 09:22 AM
Original Poster

That's what we were thinking too...that having a list would help out. I thought putting the list on top, so they'd see it when they opened the bag and I was going to put in big letters "This is a Copy of what's in this bag". LOL
Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 08:19 AM

This past June we flew from central Pa to Detroit then to Amsterdam and then to Arusha (Tanzania). I used the plastic electricians tie straps to secure the luggage closures. We carried medication with us and glad we did. The luggage missed the flight from Amsterdam to Tanzania! When it did arrive (via small charter flight to small airstrip on the Serengeti days later none of the bags had been opened. Take the meds with your carry on stuff. The idea of the list of contents is a good one for replacing things but doubtful a security person will pay attention. Depending on your destination the inspector may not read English. Since I forgot extra tie straps when I packed we did not secure the zippers for the return trip. It would appear one bag was inspected based on flyer saying such. But, all was in order. Dick
Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 01:01 PM
sandi

I would not put a list of the contents inside the suitcase. Don't put yourself in a position of having someone decide there's something specific they'd like to have/take.

What you should put inside your suitcase is your itinerary, detailing flight numbers, hotel names, where located, dates you'll be at each, phone numbers of each. Name of tour operator is using one. Do not put your home address on this itinerary. Your home phone number or business number only are sufficient. If your luggage is lost at least they can track you down.

You keep the list of what you packed to yourself.

Old Aug 4th, 2004, 11:26 AM

On return trips I used to travel as lightly as possible, but after a 48 hour delay getting home, with no access to checked luggage, I will now carry my meds and a change of underwear and some face wipes and a few other necessities. Also, your suitcase is subject to inspection at any time. Use those tie-things instead of locks.