Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Travel Topics > Travel Tips & Trip Ideas
Reload this Page > Something to download pictures on while on trip
Notices

Something to download pictures on while on trip

May 21st, 2008, 06:13 PM
Original Poster

Something to download pictures on while on trip

I am looking for a gadget that you can put a digital film card in and it will download your pix. Then you can look at these pictures on the gadget. Or make a cd. Then you can erase the card and put it back in the camera for more pix. Also, it would store pix that would be lost if you had a camera stolen or go bad during the trip. I know about Asus eeepc's, but they are really computers. I am interested in them too. What am I looking for? Best Buy didn't know what I was talking about.
May 21st, 2008, 07:37 PM

Minus the "or make a cd", you're looking for a PSD (Portable Storage Device). Best Buy, etc. will likely only have iPods, etc. that will do what you want but not as efficiently, effectively or quickly.

I have a Sanho Hyperdrive HD80. It downloads super quick, but does not have a viewing option. The newer version Sanho Colorspace has the view screen. They come in various harddrive sizes, or you can buy it without the harddrive and insert your own.

There are several other brands available, check out dpreview.com and go to their Storage and Media forum and check out some of the threads. BHphotovideo.com has several different brands available and is a good trustworthy online company (they also have a store in New York).
May 21st, 2008, 08:39 PM
Original Poster

Thank you.
May 22nd, 2008, 09:39 AM

I looked into these a while back, but my impression was that while the quality was okay, you were really much more likely to have a failure with a portable drive than you were with a memory card. Plus, they are expensive.

janeg, unless you are planning on taking thousands of pictures, your best bet may well be to just buy more memory cards! properly cared for, (and assuming you bought a reasonable quality name brand card) you should never have a failure. and even if you do, most of your pictures will be recoverable.

May 22nd, 2008, 11:45 AM

Since I take lots of pics (I took 3000 on a 16 day Ireland trip) I got one of these with a 30G hard drive. Takes about 3 minutes to dump a 1G memory cards-worth of pics onto it.

I think I bought it on EBay for $70 in 2006. Works fine as long as it's plugged in (the batteries are crap, and unless it's fully charged, it fails)

Then I can clear the card and take more. I always bring several cards in case one craps out.

Or you can go to a local internet cafe and have them burn a CD for you for $5
May 22nd, 2008, 04:10 PM

I have a PMP (personal media player) that I bought for a long trip last year. There are many types/brands. Mine is an Archos 704 which is one of the larger ones, with a 7 inch touch screen. There are smaller models.

I got it for a few reasons, a place to download my photos to and I can use it to listen to music/watch movies. I can watch what movie I want on the plane, in the airport, on the train etc.

It also lets you swap the battery so you don't have to worry about it dying in the middle of a long flight. My biggest beef with iPods is not being able to swap batteries.

I shoot with a DSLR and can take 200-300 pictures per day at very large file sizes. Each night I download the photos onto my Archos. I have to use a card reader to download them and it's not the fastest, but I don't mind. After downloading I can then view them on the 7 inch screen. This is really nice!

With a 40GB hard drive it can hold hundreds of hours of music, dozens of movies (in avi format) and all my photos.
May 22nd, 2008, 04:20 PM

janeg,

Also, there are gadgets called photo/media viewers. These are dedicated for storing/viewing pictures and often will read a memory card directly. If you have a good camera store in your area, they probably stock them and you can check them out.

They're usually not cheap. For the price of one of them you can usually get a PMP which plays music/movies as well as viewing pictures.
May 22nd, 2008, 07:32 PM

At B&H, the Sanho Colorspace 250gb runs $425.95. That's $1.70 per gigabyte. Not really much more expensive than memory cards, it's just you're putting the money out all at once.

If you do your research before buying, take some care with how you treat the device, and read and follow the instructions when using the device, you will find they aren't that sensitive to failure.

My HD80 uses rechargeable AA batteries and will accept regular AA for limited needs which is nice. Most of the newer models use internal Li-Ion rechargeables.

Search this Thread