Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Travel Tips & Trip Ideas (https://www.fodors.com/community/travel-tips-and-trip-ideas/)
-   -   Solo Travel (https://www.fodors.com/community/travel-tips-and-trip-ideas/solo-travel-477757/)

jenjenjen Sep 16th, 2004 08:12 AM

Solo Travel

I was thinking about traveling solo to Italy and after reading many postings about single female travelers I was wondering if there was a website where people can meet and maybe agree to travel together or simply meet up if they happen to be in a certain country at the same time. I would love to meet other people who, like me, have a such a passion for travel that they are willing to do it on their own.

Traveling alone can be very liberating, but I still find dining alone to be difficult. Wouldn't it be great if there was a way for all these solo travelers to meet up for dinner and a drink to share some stories?

Any ideas?

P_M Sep 16th, 2004 08:22 AM

I know exactly how you feel. I am OK with eating breakfast and lunch alone, but I hate eating dinner alone. Here's what I do at dinner time: Sometimes I get something from a take-away place and bring it back to the room, or take it to a nice park bench if the weather is good. Other times I go to a small cafe, but I bring reading material so I won't be completely bored. Then sometimes I will find a pub that serves food, and usually someone will be at the bar to talk to. When travelling alone I have found it to be a lot easier to meet other single travellers, so on most of my trips I have been invited to dinner by someone I met that day. I hope you enjoy your trip.

suze Sep 16th, 2004 10:20 AM

I have not checked it out myself but Lonely Planet's BB called the Thorn Tree has a "Traveling Companions" branch. www.lonelyplanet.com

What about adding some kind of organized activity like a cooking class or a hiking or biking tour? Even a guided tour thru a museum if you made a point to chat with others and mention the possibility of dinner if you found a single or couple you liked?

As I often do! I agree with P_M and her tips for successful solo dinners.

whoknew Sep 16th, 2004 06:27 PM

Along with the other tips, do you have a hobby or interest that you could possibly find a venue for or activity in the city or cities in which you'll be traveling? I love to read and met up with other booklovers in Rome when I was there. We exchanged books in each other's languages. I simply asked for a few ideas of what was wanted; most were recent bestsellers and easy for me to obtain in second hand shops. I came away with a few books in italian that I've used to improve my literacy. I think they used the books as an excuse to meet monthly, but then again I think Italians generally use any excuse to socialize! We spent a nice evening learning about each other and our lives. They even engaged my shy boyfriend in conversation.

Try searching on the internet for your hobby in that country. I found mine through meetup.com. Meetup is great, just plug in your interest and the country and something may pop up. The meeting places are all in public spots and so I would think if you had any uncomfortable vibes you could leave without a problem.

I know this wasn't exactly geared toward your single solo traveling inquiry, but I thought it would be an idea to step outside the box and stretch yourself to meet people who live in that country. I was nervous at first, but having the common denominator(books) helped and I think they were also impressed that I took the time and effort to meet them. I also received some great insider tips on Rome.

I've traveled solo(and I'm female) before and it can be quite scary, but it is so well worth it. I've met other travelers on walking tours and that was a great tip from suze. I also think solo travelers are more approachable. I feel more people talked to me when I was alone than when I travel with my boyfriend.

suze Sep 17th, 2004 12:38 PM

After I posted I thought also about language classes as another means to interact, short-term with other visitors. Love the book exchange idea mentioned above.

As solo traveler I've more often had a couple 'adopt me' than hooking up with another single traveler.

Barb Sep 17th, 2004 03:31 PM

Suze, that has been my experience too - more couples than single people want to be my friends. In fact while on Procida I had 3 couples fighting over me. I even had to hide from the whole bunch one night because I really just vanted to be alone!

WillTravel Sep 17th, 2004 03:39 PM

Walking tours are a good way to meet people while traveling solo. Also staying at hostels or B&Bs. I am going solo to Italy in late December/early January.

suze Sep 17th, 2004 03:47 PM

Barb, I've had similar experiences! It's kind of awkward when people ask you to join them for dinner when you're sitting alone, to kindly say thanks but you really are enjoying yourself just fine -LOL.

Barb Sep 17th, 2004 03:57 PM

Funny, in one restaurant, the waiter took my order and then came back with magazines and papers for me. I guess he didn't want me to be bored.

mjnbrown Sep 17th, 2004 05:35 PM

I've traveled as a single woman all over the world and really enjoy the opportunity to meet other travelers - which is much easier as a solo traveler than it is when you are traveling with a friend/spouse. When I was in Italy in March, I shared a dinner table one night with a wonderful young couple from London and another night with a single woman from Paris. I love meeting people from all over the world, which is one reason I love to travel solo. I'll be in Rome from Nov. 7-12, if anyone wants to meet for dinner.
Martha

everittp Feb 12th, 2005 03:20 PM

I've travelled solo now for 15 years. At first I didn't go far from home nor commit myself to very long stays. I went to San Diego and rented a car and drove to 29 Palms. I drove to Yellowstone and stayed at a couple of the lodges. I flew to Las Vegas and rented a car to go to Grand Canyon. Flew to Vancouver on a whim with no reservations and ended up at the YMCA. Went to Hawaii at Christmas. Each time I've met either a couple or another single that has made the trip memorable. Now I've done camping trips in my own camper van and 9 cruises.

I'm booked on 3 Rick Steves tours this year. I always pay the single supplement. I figure I'm way too set in my ways to have to share a room. But, I love the possibilities that are present in any trip. They are there for solo travellers too. They are different from the shared trips, but no better or worse.

The only rule I make is that I won't sit in my room watching TV or reading during the day. I could do that at home. Getting out of the room in the morning is the hardest step for me. Once I'm out, I generally have a great time.

I generally eat my biggest meal at lunch because the menu is likely similar to the dinner menu but the cost is less. Don't know why that is. I like to shop in grocery stores for yoghurt, juice, fruit, pastry etc. that I can eat in my room or picnic in the evening. And if I've been out and busy from early, IK'm ready for the luxury of my nice hotel room after dark.

So go. Sit by yourself but smile at anyone who smiles at you. That leads to interesting conversations on buses, in line-ups for tickets, in restaurants, on tours.

Patabel Mar 3rd, 2005 05:14 AM

Hi there, check out www.womenwelcomewomen.org.uk They are an international hospitality group, very safe and well regulated.

pocketaces Mar 7th, 2005 12:54 PM

jenjenjen - I think i may well have the solution to your problem! I heard from a friend about a new website which does exactly what you are after - It goes live in about a few weeks and must be huge as I read about them in a whole page ad in a national newspaper!! Go to www.TravellersConnected.com - looks ideal for us!

Lea_Lane Mar 15th, 2005 08:49 AM

Hi. My book, Solo Traveler, has many suggestions for women travelers on their own.
As for dining alone, most people understand that there are some simple tricks: go for your main meal at lunch, bring something to do, seek out casual places or restaurants with bar food, come early. But most of all, I like to enjoy the experience and play the diva. With the right 'tude you'll be looked at with envy!

OPsMom Mar 15th, 2005 09:24 AM

pocketaces: did I misunderstand the travellers connected site, it seems like it's only open for registration. any idea when they're going to be active?

lisa

OPsMom Mar 15th, 2005 09:38 AM

a couple of other places for women travelling:
www.hermail.net/ connecting women around the world
www.journeywoman.com travel guide for women

there's another i can't think of right now that plans women only tours at pretty decent prices.

jlaughs Mar 15th, 2005 12:39 PM

I don't know if this will fit exactly what you're looking for, but you might take a look at travelchums.com.

christy1 Mar 16th, 2005 07:47 AM

When I've traveled solo, I've stayed in hostels, where it is ridiculously easy to meet people. In that type of venue, there is almost no reason you'll ever have to be alone when you don't want to. If you don't care to stay in hostels, don't ever hesitate to, when you meet other single travelers (on walking tours, or wherever), just ask them if they want to have dinner/see a particular sight, etc. I'm amazing at all the wonderful people I've met this way-it is a perfectly acceptable thing to ask this of someone you barely know in the world of solo travel. I don't think I was ever turned down, and I don't think I ever turned down anyone's invitation.

Lea_Lane Mar 16th, 2005 07:58 AM

I agree. Reaching out with an invitation, or just starting a conversation with a question and a smile will get you together with others on the road. The only thing I would emphasize is to trust your gut. I have met great people and I have met creeps--just like at home. And when you're away, you may tend to let your guard down. So, while reaching out to the 99% of good folks, stay savvy.
Lea

GBelle Mar 16th, 2005 09:41 AM

When I had to travel more often on business, I would bring a book to dinner also. Then one day the restaurant I went to was very crowded and was discouraging singles at tables by saying the wait was SOOO long, etc. Next to me in line was another woman looking for a single table, so I asked her if she wanted to share a table. She agreed and we had a delightful conversation during dinner.

After that, I would inform the maitre d' that if a single woman asked for a table, to ask her if she wanted to share one with me. Sometimes I had a companion, other times my book.