Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Travel Tips & Trip Ideas
Reload this Page >

Solo at the beach: what to do with your belongings if you want to go in the water?

Search

Solo at the beach: what to do with your belongings if you want to go in the water?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26th, 2008, 11:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any tips or handy contraptions for storing keys, $, credit card etc..in a bikini, thus enabling you to go in the water without leaving belongings unattended while travelling solo?
Old Jul 26th, 2008, 11:48 AM

For a key, simply remove it from the keychain and pin it to the inside of your swimsuit.

If you have a car, you can lock everything else in the car and simply take the car key.

If you don't have a car, then look for a small waterproof bag that you can wear while swimming (like this one: http://tinyurl.com/5r59ry). Anything that won't fit into the bag can be left in the hotel safe (e.g., leave your passport in the hotel safe and take a photocopy of it with you folded to fit the bag.
Old Jul 27th, 2008, 10:16 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Will you have a rental car? Or you'll be on foot? Is this at a deserted beach? Or one with a lot of other people on it? (My answer varies depending on the circumstances.)

For me, I never have a car & I leave my room key at the hotel front desk when I go out. In a beach basket, I carry only a towel, hat, sunscreen disposable camera, water, and ziplock baggie with ~$25 or less. In otherwords I can leave it on the beach unattended because there is nothing valuable in it.

To your original question for whatever reason you *really* NEED to bring a key, credit card, money into the water with you... there are various waterproof pouches, waist, neck or belt contraptions you can find to use.

Old Jul 28th, 2008, 11:25 AM

I used something called a Travel Safe when we went to Aruba. I found mine at corporatetravelsafety.com, they had serval choices when I purchased mine. Explaining it does not do it justice, so go online and check it out. You purchase a dial lock, so no key to worry about.
Old Aug 15th, 2008, 07:13 AM

Leave valuables in your hotel room. If you aren't in a hotel. Find a locker at a train station. The beach is one of the least secure places you can be and a rental car near a beach is just as bad.

For some daily cash and/or credit card. Put them in a ziplock bag and carry it with you when you swim.
Old Aug 17th, 2008, 07:09 AM

There are some excellent, water tight containers that you can buy at any good travel store. I have one I use when snorkeling as I don't like leaving things in cars.
It can hold credit cards, keys, etc. and is not at all bulky. I think they make variations but the one have I is worn like a necklace.
Old Aug 19th, 2008, 06:28 PM

Hpyft mentioned some nice devices for your dilemma. When I went to my local dive shop to buy something like this, the guy said, "You can just use ziplocks." So I gave it a try. I got the top of the line double sealed bags and then I double bagged my items. I chose to put the bags inside my 1-piece bathing suit, about navel level. To be sure it worked, I put some scrap paper inside and practiced in the bath tub. The downside of this method is there is not strap if you want to put it around your wrist.

I see you have a bikini, so that is trickier.
Old Aug 19th, 2008, 06:45 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Let's just say it's a LOT easier to not take so much stuff with you rather than to try to take it into the water WITH you!

What do you need with a credit card at the beach? (for example).