Caravan Tours Travel Company

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9th, 2007, 05:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are thinking of taking a trip/tour with Caravan Tours who has offices in Chicago. We have seen their brochurs and web site but do not know anything about them or their tours/trips as far as quality, etc. Would like to hear from anyone that has info about this company and I thank you in advance.

carol
Old Sep 9th, 2007, 06:41 AM
P_M

I think that's the company Faina used for her Mexico trip. I emailed her a link to this thread, maybe she can answer your questions.
Old Sep 9th, 2007, 06:44 AM
P_M

I did a search and I found Faina's trip report.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34990029
Old Sep 9th, 2007, 09:49 AM

There is at least one trip report in the Latin America Forum about the Caravan Costa Rica Tour. (That person gave it excellent review)
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34977950
Also you can check on Trip Advisor.

raquel

Old Sep 10th, 2007, 05:41 AM

I took their trip to Costa Rica in Nov. of 2005 and I thought it was great value for the money. The tour bus was brand new (Mercedes) and very comfy. The other people were great and the tour guide was so nice and knowledgeable.
Old Sep 10th, 2007, 07:31 AM

Hello, P_M, thank you for bringing this to my attention

Caravan tours is a dependable company. I called with questions - the 800 "girl" sounded knowledgeable and friendly.

We stayed in nice hotels in good locations, in the center of everything, and this was better then expected from a budget tour company.

All meals were included, plenty of water. Our tour guide explained everything in details.

Carol, will this be your first tour, or are you trying to compare them to other tours? Where are you going?

Would I go with them again? Certainly yes.

Search the US and Latin America boards, you might find some answers.
Old Sep 10th, 2007, 06:13 PM
Original Poster

Hello, Faina, no this will not be our first tour. We have traveled extensively world wide, at least three international trips a year. But, it would be the first trip with Caravan and we do not know much if anything about the company. Their Copper Canyon tour appears to be what we are looking for but just want to make sure the trip would be as they advertise with good hotels (the best for that particular region as it is remote). Thank you for responding to my question/concerns as I really appreciate it.

carol
Old Sep 12th, 2007, 09:35 AM

Carol, you will be taking pictures like never before! And the longer you are on that tour, the better it gets! (can you tell I envy you a little? LOL)

At the Divisadero stop, you go through a small market to the canyon. Skip the market, you will need all the length of the stop to admire the view.
Old Sep 12th, 2007, 12:08 PM
Original Poster

I thank you Faina and everyone else for taking the time to reply to my question/post. With so many tour companies with such varying prices, it does make it difficult to decide with whom to travel. I have read good and bad reports about the hotels/motels that Caravan uses on their Copper Canyon tour, so that makes the decision making proces that much more difficult.

Again, thank you all for your help and you can keep the posts and info coming!

carol
Old Sep 16th, 2007, 01:01 PM
Original Poster

We just made our reservations for the Caravan Tours trip to Mexico's Copper Canyon for this coming February 2008. The hotel in Creel has been changed (it did not look all that appealing) and the tour will be now staying at the Villa Mexicana which does not look any more appealing than the Parador de la Montana! I have seen that there is a Best Western Lodge in Creel and wonder why Caravan does not use that hotel as it looks quite nice in comparison to the ones they use. The other hotels that Caravan uses on this trip look nice so I am not sure why they would choose the one they have in Creel; maybe it is to save some money as the tour is quite inexpensive considering what is offered. I just hope that we have made a wise choice by traveling with this tour company!

carol
Old Sep 16th, 2007, 01:44 PM

carol101, My sister and I went to Copper Canyon a few years ago. We did not use a tour group but we had a blast! I look at the pictures that we took and I have wonderful memories! Have FUN! FUN! FUN!
Old Sep 17th, 2007, 09:54 AM

Carol, one more thing: get good moscito repellent. On the day going to El Fuerte apply as much as you can stand it. The moscitoes there are brutal! I didn't suffer as I had repellent and wore long sleeves and pants, but many ladies in our group had dotted legs, like chicken pox

All time in El Fuerte, apply repellent. Even if you don't see any moscitoes. You'll thank me later!

Creel is a sleepy little village with lots of souvenirs
Old Sep 17th, 2007, 11:48 AM
Original Poster

FainaAgain, even in February there will be lots of mosquitoes? I don't recall, what time of year did you go to the Copper Canyon area?

We went to Costa Rica for about two weeks in February 2006 and at that time there many, many mosquitoes amongst other insects and even with the repellant, I still got many bites. So, I guess, El Fuert will be the same in the latter part of February?
Old Sep 17th, 2007, 01:16 PM

My trip was in April. Do mosquitoes take vacations in February? I don't think so
Old Sep 17th, 2007, 03:10 PM
Original Poster

I thought for sure the mosquitoes would be lying dormant at that time of year!! LOL I am a magnet for them so I will surely take your advice, thank you.

Do you have any other bits of info for me, Faina as I would appreciate any if you do. And if I can help you with any of your trips to other parts of the world, I will gladly do so, that is if you need any help, etc.

carol
Old Sep 17th, 2007, 04:03 PM

Can't think of anything else, only don't fly out too early if not staying overnight. On our bus, a man bought alcohol, and the whole bus had to wait for him to do some paperwork for it. We came to the airport at 2 or 3 pm. If not for hurricane delays, some people would miss their 2 pm flights.
Old Sep 17th, 2007, 04:04 PM

Oh, and in El Paso you don't have to wait for the shuttle, the hotel is so close, I just rolled my suitcase. And I'm not strong and not young!