Security Issues for the Solo Traveller

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25th, 2006, 09:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After reading a thread in the US forum, I thought it might be a good idea to have a thread dedicated to security for the Solo Traveller. What do you do to make your travels safer?

One thing I do is to reserve all my hotels ahead of time and leave the info with family. That way, someone knows where I am supposed to be.

If I go hiking, etc., I leave a note in the car stating what I'm wearing, where I'm hiking (which trail, etc.) and how long I expect to be out there (til dusk, etc.)
Old Sep 25th, 2006, 01:25 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
1- I make sure my finances are in good order and that I have several different methods of obtaining funds.

2- I am extremely organized in how I carry my passport, hotel reservations, train reservations, money, and cards.

3- I make a laminated card that says "in case of emergency" with my family notification numbers.

4- Never get too drunk; am careful with food so as not to get sick; the usual precautions regarding talking to strangers; I am extremely aware of my surroundings...

and last but not least, follow your instincts, if a situation feels fishy - get the heck out.
Old Sep 25th, 2006, 06:08 PM

Hi toedtoes, I agree with everything Suze posted (I always do!). One additional thing..but it perhaps is only understandable in the US as I don't know about other countries. In your cellphone address book put in ICE (which stands for In Case of Emergency) and the person's name and phone number. You can list more than one if you want. That way if say you are injured, your wallet is stolen at least in the US law enforcement and medical people are now checking cell phones for ICE numbers. At least that is what I have recently read several time including an advisory from my local PD.

One other thing which I have not done but which a friend told me she has beginning to do..leave a note in your hotel room as to where you are going for the day etc., rather like the note you leave in your car when hiking. Not a bad idea. Also, a favorite hotel that I stay at in SF now request an emergency name and number so perhaps ask whatever hotels you are going to be staying at if they will include that info with their registration.
Old Sep 25th, 2006, 08:29 PM
Original Poster

Great ideas!

I have multiple ATM cards for my account - it happened by accident, but I love it now. I keep one in my wallet and one in my camera bag. I also list them in my travel diary (and which one is where). That way if one bag is stolen I still have the other on me.

For all my leaving notes, I never thought to leave a note at the hotel... great idea! You could probably leave it with the front staff with an expected return time too.
Old Sep 25th, 2006, 09:51 PM

Hi toedtoes, good idea. And a strange coincedance. The friend that I mentioned that leaves a note in her hotel room called me tonight. I mentioned your thread. She told me that she now (as she lives alone) leaves a note on her kitchen table when she is going to be out of town all day, same kind of info. She said that probably some people would think it was strange but that if "something" happened she thought it would be good for the PD to know where she had gone to etc. Maybe an overkill but with so many "missing" women in the SF/Bay Area perhaps it is not a bad idea.

You and all other women I assume do know that you do NOT want the desk clerk to announce your room number or name when you check in. If they do you should insist on another room after talking to the hotel manager. Not to be paranoid but security people have stated over and over again you do NOT want that info announced at the check in desk. Safe and happy travels to all!

Old Sep 25th, 2006, 10:26 PM
Original Poster

LoveItaly - Maybe it has something to do with being in the Bay Area?

Sometimes I've left a memo message on my answering machine just in case.

Yes, definitely change rooms in that case. I also don't use valet parking at the hotel - I'd rather not have people see me getting out of a car alone in front of the hotel. Instead, I park in the lot and act like I have someone checking in and/or getting more luggage.
Old Sep 26th, 2006, 12:05 PM

LoveItaly, only because i am the last person on the planet who does not have a cell phone(!)... that's i don't know those kind of good tips. -suze
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 01:45 PM

Not so much a security issue, but make sure all your luggage can fit into an airport bathroom with you. There's no one to watch it for you, and these days, you can't always safely leave it outside the door.

Also, I love to go hiking, but can't always find people to go with me. So usually I'll wait by the trailhead for what looks like a safe group of people and then ask if I can tag along. I've never had anyone say no and have met some interesting people over the years. Sometimes we end up getting to know each other very well, and other times, I just lag along behind but feel safer knowing I'm not out there alone.

I also always call someone at home, let them know where I'm going and tell them I'll call when I get back to my room. If I don't call, they know I'm in trouble and can call for help.
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 02:16 PM

Hi suze, don't mention cellphones, sigh. I just had to buy a new one. It was delivered this morning. After charging the battery I have to call Cingular and have them "talk" me through getting it activated. And since I want it unlocked so that when I go to Italy I can buy a SIM card and use that (much cheaper). I have to call another department and guess they "talk" me through unlocking it.

I was on the phone for 90 minutes ordering the darn phone, wonder how many hours I will have to spend to get it activated and unlocked.

BTW, I just thought of something speaking of cell phones. If one plans on being gone a short time and than plans change and you want a "record" of where you are going you can use your cellphone to call your home landphone and leave the info on your own message machine.

Safe and happy travels everyone!
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 03:19 PM

LOL, Loveitaly, I always leave messages for myself too, but then I get all excited that someone left me a message, only to realize it was me!
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 07:06 PM
Original Poster

Oh Travel_addict!! I've done the same thing - that blinking light just looks so inviting...

I agree about the luggage.

Another trick I use it to get a small wallet with a wriststrap that has a snap that attaches to the wallet zipper. These are nice, first, because when you hang it on your wrist, it automatically pulls the zipper shut. The second is that you can attach it by the handle to your belt, purse handle, tote bag handle, etc. That makes it just a bit harder for someone to quietly grab it.
Old Feb 25th, 2007, 11:38 AM
Original Poster

ttt for Nelle
Old Apr 15th, 2007, 12:36 PM
valeriesgallery

Don't drink alcohol.

Read the sign in the hotel room about safety or fire evac. (you're alone and have a minute)

Be aware.

Don't go running/hiking/by yourself. That right there is asking for trouble. Wait to exercise when you get home. (or get a guide)

Be confident. Whatever decision you make is your own.

Old Apr 15th, 2007, 07:10 PM

no alcohol? none at all??
Old Apr 15th, 2007, 08:14 PM
Original Poster

Suze - you can only drink alcohol if you plan your day's itinerary first.

Seriously, I think "drink alcohol in moderation" would be a good suggestion.
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 06:15 AM

"Don't get drunk", is how I would phrase it myself. And definitely don't get drunk and talk to strangers!
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 06:37 AM
valeriesgallery

Well, if I am by myself, I don't need a drink and probably wouldn't be in a bar, so for me it works. Suze, if you'd like to drink, drink!!

Old Apr 16th, 2007, 02:36 PM

I have a pretty mean mug.
Seems to work.

I try to keep my lush set with drinks when I'm in my room. But I will have a drink with dinner or two.
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 02:40 PM

Grrrrrrr....That's suppose to be "lush self"
Old Apr 19th, 2007, 04:23 PM

Funny, because stopping into a bar for a drink is one thing I *do* feel comfortable doing when I travel alone. Likely to be one of my few interactions with people around me during a day. I'm talking early evening, in a quiet kind of place, nothing wild...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -