Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Travel Tips & Trip Ideas (https://www.fodors.com/community/travel-tips-and-trip-ideas/)
-   -   Searching for paradise (https://www.fodors.com/community/travel-tips-and-trip-ideas/searching-for-paradise-1546328/)

Nhardi Nov 16th, 2017 06:28 AM

Searching for paradise

Hello!

We are 2-4 people who are going together on an adventure for 2-3 months.
We are looking for a nice village or smaller town where we can live just outside the village and perhaps rent a house in an area where it's very still and silent and has beautiful nature and close to water.

The kind of village we're looking for is much like Rishikesh in northern India. But we're leaving in the beginning of December and want the temperature to be a little higher than 15 °C / 59 °F.

The reasons why we want something like Rishikesh is we've heard it has a relaxed, open and loving atmosphere with down to earth kind of people. Even though this place seems calm, a lot of nice things seem to be going on, like open stages for example. We also fancy to be able to go on smaller adventures like visiting nature resorts, waterfalls, surfing, tennis, renting scooters etc.

Here are some things we value for this adventure:

Calm
Warm
Swimming
Beautiful nature
Not a typical tourist place
Nice restaurants, Cafés
Cheap
Music
hippie
Art

If you know a place somewhere on this big planet that seems to match our vision, even if it's not a 100% match, we would love to hear about your advices and sharings about these amazing places.
Thanks and love!

MoBro Nov 17th, 2017 09:48 AM

Good question. But, I think if anyone has found a paradise like that, they didn't come back, and they won't divulge the location.

suze Nov 17th, 2017 02:27 PM

Some of your requests are contradictory. If there it is not at all a "tourist" place then you probably aren't going to find a lot of restaurants, cafes, music, art, etc.

Nhardi Nov 17th, 2017 02:42 PM

MoBro -
You might be right but I hope you're wrong :)

suze -
Thanks for your input.
What we are thinking about is to live where it's not touristy, like maybe a little outside a village. And the restaurants, cafes, music, art, etc we hope to find in a city that we can go to from the place we live and hopefully it will take us not more than an hour or so to get there. Maybe we can rent scooters for a long period of time so it's easy to get to a city that offers more activities, and we don't mind if that city is touristy and I understand that it kind of has to be.

suze Nov 17th, 2017 03:06 PM

OK, that makes sense. Good luck with your search. No place I've been fits what you seek.

janisj Nov 18th, 2017 03:54 PM

I can only think of someplace in SE Asia

You might want to post your questions on the Asia Forum (or possibly the Mexico & Central America board)

pariswat Nov 18th, 2017 09:21 PM

We found such places in Argentina except for the water. In December the temp is great - try South America or Africa (Senegal) ?

mlgb Nov 19th, 2017 07:00 AM

I would think SE Asia and South America would be two good options. You don't need to get very far off of the tourist track to find what you are looking for. Even in Mexico.

Oliviadavid Nov 22nd, 2017 09:09 AM

You will find all these in Malaysia.

stevesmith42 Dec 29th, 2017 12:15 AM

You can find such type of places in India.