Notices

Round the World

Apr 11th, 2017, 04:23 PM
Original Poster

Round the World

Active, retired, want to get to India (from Phoenix) probably via Perth, continue back through Greece then Prague then back to U.S.

Could go other way: Phx, NYC, Athens, India, Perth, SFO, Phx.

Looking at Feb. 2018 which is good weather in India and Australia....

suggestions? I can try the cheap airlines, or go with one carrier and let them work it out, or go with a company who does round world travel. Seems like I should only do the warm weather cities for packing purposes.

We have lived and travelled over 50 years but some of these places still on our list!
Apr 11th, 2017, 05:34 PM

There are several fairly recent threads about how to approach RTW tickets which you can find by searching in the box at the top, above the orange line.

I've done 2, both with the help of airtreks.com, affordable and excellent customer service. Try their trip planner which is fun to use and will give you an estimate of cost, then it goes to a real person who will help.
Apr 12th, 2017, 01:56 PM

How long do you have? Do you really have to fly the whole route? I have done four RTWs, two in each direction, and with quite extensive "on the ground" segments. If you are going to travel all that distance, have a look at the bits in between!

Although I don't like to spend much time on boats, you might also look into cruises, and/or passage on cargo ships.

I would certainly consider flying to Sydney or Adelaide and taking the train to Perth - one of the classic rail routes. Even better would be Darwin, taking the train south with stops at Alice Springs and Uluru, and then a switch to the train to Perth.

http://seat61.com/Australia.htm

If you're headed to India from Perth, how about Indonesia and/or Sri Lanka on the way?
Apr 12th, 2017, 02:42 PM

A good point above. Mine were also accomplished with ground segments - trains, ferries, freighter, and they certainly make it more fun, I think, if you enjoy surface travel and have the time.

Search this Thread