Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Travel Tips & Trip Ideas
Reload this Page >

poll: the absolute best & worst hotel/motel you ever stayed in?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21st, 2012, 04:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

(note: I placed this topic under "travel tips & ideas as I didnt want this broad topic to be limited to any geo-specific region)

what was the absolute best and worst lodging experiences you ever had? what made it the best or worst? ...the facility itself? the staff courteous or rude? the food excellent or dismal? the added touches of hospitality or blatant neglect? exceptional cleaniness or downright filth? the beds were the most comfortable or were uncomfortable and rank?

...you get the idea
Old Sep 21st, 2012, 01:27 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Problem is almost no one reads the "Travel Tips" branch. You might want to post this in The Lounge, is you want answers but don't want to post in the Destination forums.
Old Sep 21st, 2012, 03:42 PM

Best hotels were the Caledonian, Kempenski Jahreszeiten Hotel in Munich about a dozen times, and the Hotel Çırağan Palace in Istanbul.

The worst place was in sold out Austin. I had to take care of my company equipment due to a fire at a major repair vendor's facility.

The hotel had rips in the carpeting, holes in the wall, you name it. It was god awful. Had to stay there 5 days.

Amex Platinum couldn't find a room within 30 miles, so this was the only choice.
Old Oct 6th, 2012, 11:09 PM

Worst Ramada Inn Iowa City, Iowa! Wow what a stench filled filthy dump.

Best? A tie between The Benjamin in NYC, the best bed I ever slept in and the room was much better than the nearby Waldorf!

The Venetian, Las Vegas. Luxury throughout.
Old Oct 7th, 2012, 07:04 AM

I once stayed in a Motel 6 in Atlanta that apparently would be more correctly termed a brothel. When we arrived the room was dirty with chip bags and pop bottles strewn about. The phone rang off and on throughout the night. Even had a man come to the door once after midnight. As we were 3 women this was unnerving to say the least. One of my travel companions, a nervous sort anyway, was convinced we were going to be shot and slept (or tried to) holding a pillow so a bullet would do less damage. Our friend from Atlanta who had booked the room was mortified when she found out the next morning and tried to take it up with the manager. When she finally got him to come to the front desk, he was the man who had come to our room in the middle of the night! We checked out without paying.