Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Travel Tips & Trip Ideas
Reload this Page >

POLL: Have you changed travel plans due to coronavirus?

Notices
View Poll Results: Have you changed travel plans due to coronavirus? Select all that apply
Yes -- I have cancelled trips due to COVID-19
34
50.75%
Yes -- I am delaying travel or trip-planning due to COVID-19
28
41.79%
No -- I am traveling as normal, but taking extra precautions due to COVID-19
9
13.43%
No -- I have made no changes in my travel due to COVID-19
1
1.49%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

POLL: Have you changed travel plans due to coronavirus?

Old Mar 9th, 2020, 12:40 PM
  #1  
Administrator
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 1,739
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
POLL: Have you changed travel plans due to coronavirus?

Have you changed travel plans due to coronavirus?
ibobi is offline  
Old Mar 9th, 2020, 03:18 PM
  #2  
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 2
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes! Husband and I were supposed to leave on a Celebrity Cruise today out of Miami. I have a simple cold(cough, sore throat, runny nose. No fever or shortness of breath). Travel agent told me that they wouldnít let me on the ship and also she wouldnít let me board the bus with the group to go to the airport.
jnsmom is offline  
Old Mar 9th, 2020, 03:52 PM
  #3  
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 67,018
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
jnsmom: That is too bad . . . but honestly it might be a blessing. The LAST place I'd want to be is cooped up on a quarantined cruise ship.

I'm delaying travel plans - in sort of wait and see mode. I've booked 2 B&Bs, a hotel and an (expensive) event in England in early July - all except the event are cancellable/refundable. Haven't booked the flights yet. AA has said any new bookings are fully changeable so that isn't a big concern but in a couple of months we'll have a better handle on what's what and how much hassle there will be or even IF travel will be possible. I have a hunch (maybe just wishful thinking) that things will settle down a lot before then and maybe because of reduced business travel there may be some real fare bargains to be had.
janisj is offline  
Old Mar 9th, 2020, 04:27 PM
  #4  
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 579
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We have a Croatia Turkey trip in the early stages for September. Iím finding it hard to get motivated to plan for it not knowing where the whole thing is going to turn around. I will book all hotels that I can cancel if needed.
natylou is online now  
Old Mar 9th, 2020, 04:57 PM
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 6,473
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We have a trip to the Italian Riviera booked for September. At present we have no intention to cancel.
raincitygirl is online now  
Old Mar 9th, 2020, 06:50 PM
  #6  
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 5,742
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Due to leave for London and not Rome then 6 day Rabbies tour of northern Italy/Switzerland/ France and back tomLondon prior to flight back to,Denver. At the moment plans are on hold. I can cancel all hotels within 34 hours as well as three tours planned in a Rome. For Rabbies I will need to cancel 42 days prior to tour departure which would be April 28th

Have talked to BA and can reschedule flights. It seems that things are slowing down in China but still need to wait and see if it’s on going. It has been 71 days since first case noted in China. It will be 79 days before we are scheduled to leave. If one wants to be really optimistic, things may work out. I’m not quite that positive about situation. We can reschedule everything for a July 15 the departure and I’m looking really hard at that option. For now just wait and see for the next6 weeks. No one really knows how things will evolve.

If July 15 th departure doesn’t look promising, I think we can reschedule flights for same time of original departure in 2021.
historytraveler is online now  
Old Mar 10th, 2020, 07:37 AM
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 38
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Canceled

one in our group decided to cancel.

Last edited by onthebow; Mar 10th, 2020 at 07:52 AM. Reason: more
onthebow is offline  
Old Mar 10th, 2020, 07:49 AM
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 6,902
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I canceled trip to England which was to start this week. My job is asking everyone who travels internationally to self report upon returning and may be asked to self quarantine on return. I actually think that is not a bad idea but it won't accomplish anything because no such plan is in place for domestic travel and going to NY or California (or elsewhere) seems at least as risky. I'm tentatively planning going to NYC instead but not even sure that's a good idea.

However, I have no plans to change anything about my next trip which starts Aug 20. That trip does include northern Italy but I'm hoping by then things will have calmed down (not gone away, but that travel restrictions won't be necessary).
isabel is offline  
Old Mar 10th, 2020, 09:57 AM
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 14,469
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Waiting to see what happens on plans for June trip to Scandinavia.
HappyTrvlr is online now  
Old Mar 10th, 2020, 10:16 AM
  #10  
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 5,742
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ibobi, Perhaps you should have an option that offers a wait and see how things evolve in the next few months
historytraveler is online now  
Old Mar 10th, 2020, 01:18 PM
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 93,892
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No
suze is offline  
Old Mar 10th, 2020, 01:32 PM
  #12  
Administrator
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 1,739
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by historytraveler View Post
ibobi, Perhaps you should have an option that offers a wait and see how things evolve in the next few months
We could certainly re-poll as the situation changes, but this is meant more as a snapshot of now.
ibobi is offline  
Old Mar 10th, 2020, 02:34 PM
  #13  
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 5,742
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Understood.
historytraveler is online now  
Old Mar 10th, 2020, 09:50 PM
  #14  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 3,073
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Iím in the wait and see camp. No changes but as Iím health compromised I may cancel trip to Europe from Aus In early May. Or reconfigure by going later or fiddling with destinations. It was a seven week trip...
schnauzer is online now  
Old Mar 11th, 2020, 02:34 AM
  #15  
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,770
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We don't normally plan too far ahead, especially for our European breaks and tend to book and go within a few weeks. However, as DW has a compromised immune system ATM we have put off any thoughts of travel until this outbreak subsides. We were thinking of either the Amalfi coast or the Italian Lakes for our next trip, but Italy is a no no. We'll wait until later in the year and review the situation.
Rubicund is offline  
Old Mar 11th, 2020, 11:59 PM
  #16  
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 7,938
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Trump just changed a lot of people’s travel plans by announcing a ban on all travel to Europe (The United Kingdom and Ireland are excluded from the ban). He he attempted to blame the European Union for “seeding” hotspots in America with a "foreign virus" Apparently the ban does not extend to American citizens.
crellston is offline  
Old Mar 12th, 2020, 06:26 AM
  #17  
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 18,984
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Haven't cancelled flight to Florida on April 5. I'm staying with my bro and sil so no hotel issues.
I will wait and see. I can always cancel at the last minute.
panecott is offline  
Old Mar 12th, 2020, 10:59 AM
  #18  
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 93,892
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes
suze is offline  
Old Mar 13th, 2020, 06:29 AM
  #19  
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 8,942
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We have a Baltic cruise scheduled for July. Our final payment is due April 7 and we are trying to make a decision as to whether or not to just cancel before the payment date.
schmerl is offline  
Old Mar 13th, 2020, 01:35 PM
  #20  
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 8,424
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have a trip planned to the US beginning April 3rd. We are spending a week in Orlando, (were not going to any of the theme parks), and then three weeks in New York City. The main reason for the trip is to see our daughter, SIL and 21 months old grandson. At this stage still going, we will see what eventuates in the next three weeks whether we change our mind.
nelsonian is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO