Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Travel Tips & Trip Ideas
Reload this Page >

Planning for trips - is it a chore or a joy?

Search

Planning for trips - is it a chore or a joy?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3rd, 2019, 05:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
starrs, before Europe Canada was within reach. Quebec City perhaps 12/13 times and many other eastern Canadian cities. Fell in love with Canada. A number of these trips were with family or friends.
It's possible we will visit again, but our passports expired this year. We shall see.
Old Sep 3rd, 2019, 05:37 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
I always need a trip to plan! But the one thing I dislike is finding the flights that work best, schedule and price, connections. I am in the middle of doing that right now. And a new guidebook just arrived for the trip that will happen after the one I am working on now.
Old Sep 3rd, 2019, 05:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
Ahh! Well, pull out that photo albums and enjoy the wonderful memories. So glad to see you posting again!
Old Sep 3rd, 2019, 06:22 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
>>>>I hate the tedium of booking flights and hotels. It isn’t really joy for me. I’m more of a concept person.<<<<

Amen sister.

Old Sep 3rd, 2019, 06:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got so frustrated trying to find hotels on my last trip, I was going nuts. I did NOT want to share a bed with my friend. She great but I only share a bed with my SO and my pets. I finally called Costco travel and they were great to work with and we got great hotels, good fares and it took a lot of stress away for me and let me concentrate on other areas of the trip.
Old Sep 3rd, 2019, 07:05 PM

In 1970 there were approximately 222 million international travelers. In 2018, there were 1.4 billion.

When we first starting traveling in the early 1970's, we would either have the hotel call a hotel in the next town, if we did not speak the language, or we would just wander into a new town and hope for the best. Now we plan the entire trip, except for the meals and most sites. The need for timed tickets has increased exponentially in the last 10 years has even changed that. We leave for our fourth trip to Italy in two weeks. One trip in the past we stayed in Bologna an extra day just to eat, but that would be hard today.

Reading about places where we might consider, is always a joy and interesting. The bookkeeping has become a PITA. The number of on-line sites have made this easier in some respects, but there are few experienced and knowledgeable travel agents any more.

I am not sure we will able to pull this off, but a cousin and I want to visit our grandmother's town of birth in Belarus. As part of this genealogical excursion, we hope to visit Berlin, Vilnius, and a small town in Poland. We have invited over 40 relatives, knowing few would accept. If we haven''t been traveling independently for almost 50 years, I would have the experience to organize this trip.
Old Sep 3rd, 2019, 07:42 PM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Isn’t that how we all found our way here? planning trips?

I love to read about the places I’m going, and reading about places to stay there. I love to find concerts, theater, museum exhibits, and special events. If things require tickets, I will buy them ahead, and that increases the excitement. I don’t plan daily itineraries, but I do have tickets to performances. Having them in advance also makes it more certain that I will get out and do those things.
Old Sep 3rd, 2019, 08:07 PM

I honestly think I would hire a person to book hotels if I found someone I trusted. I’d rather be researching the fun bits, and as long as it’s clean and central, I would tolerate it.

but after traveling so much with relatives, I’ve learned that there’s almost countless definitions of “comfortable” and central. I’ve got one family member who considers anything within city limits as “central” and another who considers anything less than a Marriott a slum.
Old Sep 3rd, 2019, 10:18 PM

If people come on our genealogical trip, they have been forewarned that any whining, will result to in a flight to Vladivostok by Aeroflot. We could be followed by the secret police in Belarus and there will be few variations on the food. As there is no hotel near the town where our grandmother was born, we will have a 4-5 bus ride each way from Minsk.

We knew people are not careful readers, so well remind them again before they sign on.

We leave soon for a destination wedding in Tuscany and afterwards a SIL will join us and we will head north by car. Needless to say, even that simple a trip needs coordination and previous agreement. We have been giving advice to one cousin for months, what might be best for them. This afternoon I received a call about how their car and train arrangements. I assume I will see them sometime at the wedding. .
Old Sep 4th, 2019, 04:02 AM

I used to thrive on planning and researching our next destination, pre-retirement. Now, not so much. Travel has lost its allure now that we’re doing what we want to do - him, tinkering with new hobbies; me - quilting; us - helping with our grands. I realized that we used travel as an escape from work, stress, and demands. We went away for 2 nights over the long weekend, and were happy to be home. Have an upcoming trip to Maine; have hotels reserved (no B&B because I was overwhelmed with the choices), a few activities, but that’s it. Just can’t get my planning mojo going. We’ll figure it out when we get there, I guess
Old Sep 4th, 2019, 04:15 AM

Pure joy.

Each step of the planning process gives me a vicarious vacation.

As I pore over hotel websites, I envision myself in the room, peering out the window onto the scene. As I research and assemble sights and excursions, I imagine the day dawning and rolling out to catch the bus or train to see each thing. As I investigate restaurants and menus and opening hours, I see myself approaching the place, coming from a morning or afternoon of walking and experiencing the culture.

It's a way of armchair travelling.

s
Old Sep 4th, 2019, 04:27 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Maybe we need a thread about what actually constitutes "planning." We read trip reports in which people seem to have packed in every possible thing and I wonder how they manage it. Every waking minute seems to have been both "planned" and recorded in exquisite (or add your own adjective) detail.

We get "there" wherever "there" is and end up doing as little or as much as we feel like doing. Like Clifton, we try to learn some basics ahead of time, research the transit system, know about the supposed "must-sees" (a term I hate) and then maybe see and do some of those.

And then there are the disappointments that despite all the so-called "PITA" planning and all those recommendations from people who are supposedly "known" and "trusted" the place just doesn't quite cut it. "Why DID we decide to come here?"

I once told my Husbear "I would rather be in..." while standing on the beach in Martinique and he told me I was nuts. If you knew where I had said I'd rather be I suspect you'd agree with him.
Old Sep 4th, 2019, 04:33 AM

I love researching places we might visit and trips we actually take. I don't enjoy the hotel reservation process quite as much but that can be fun, too. I usually put together a list of possible good places to eat but don't spend a lot of time on this. I read a lot about the places we are going to see, including fiction about the area.

This year we have started taking road trips in an Odyssey van converted to a small camper. That involves a different kind of planning but so far it has gone well. If we can't find a good camp ground we stay at a motel.
Old Sep 4th, 2019, 04:45 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I live to plan trips. It becomes a part-time job once I've set my eye on a destination. I don't plan my trips to the minute or to a schedule, but I do know what's available where and when for any place I am on a trip. If I'm in the 6th in Paris, I know what's around there to do and where I can eat or get a coffee. This is, I think, what is most disappointing about safaris though. Once you book it, there's no planning left, just waiting to go. No hotels, restaurants, entertainment, museums to find.

What I loathe though is the pre-trip getting ready part. Maybe we need a thread for that: stopping the mail, the newspaper, getting the cat sitter, calling the credit cards, getting the house ready for the cat sitter, etc. etc. etc. It's all just a means to an end, I suppose.
Old Sep 4th, 2019, 12:19 PM

We keep files for each destination on our long list in a *special crate. All manner of stuff gets tossed into each file for future editing and tightening up: maps inc. NG & Michelin, articles, TR's, individual factoids, remarks by knowledgeable posters/locals, itineraries, highlights, articles, info gleaned from DVDs plus TV travel shows and also things to avoid.

These past few years we also pack for trips from a structured packing list. It also includes last-minute 'to do' tasks.

I am done. *The old plastic milk crate with numerous slots for storage.

Last edited by zebec; Sep 4th, 2019 at 12:20 PM. Reason: tickled by tarantulas while typing
Old Sep 4th, 2019, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by MoBro
P.S. We never plan restaurants in advance of taking the trip. I can't imagine planning each day in that much detail. We prefer to wander where we please each day, according to the weather and our preferences. We eat when we happen to be hungry, deciding from menus of interesting places. It's a process that has served us well.
I agree on all counts.
Old Sep 4th, 2019, 03:04 PM

Planning a trip is my favorite thing, and I usually have one going. Just had one all set to go to Phoenix in December, and then it turned out the friends we were planning to visit had to be in England at the same time. But I had all the fun of researching hotels and restaurants, and now we'll go over to the California coast again next month. Then I'll start working on something else. I'd love to have been a travel agent if it hadn't meant dealing with anxious people.
Old Sep 4th, 2019, 03:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Underhill
Planning a trip is my favorite thing, and I usually have one going. Just had one all set to go to Phoenix in December, and then it turned out the friends we were planning to visit had to be in England at the same time. But I had all the fun of researching hotels and restaurants, and now we'll go over to the California coast again next month. Then I'll start working on something else. I'd love to have been a travel agent if it hadn't meant dealing with anxious people.
Me too!
And if I could make decent money at it.

Just today I was trying to work out a trip that was a logistical nightmare. There didn't seem to be a way to make it work, at least flying hours I wanted to fly. I just put it aside and decided to deal with it later. A few hours later, the first part was canceled making the second part easy to book. It felt like a small victory! I like working on a puzzle if it means I get to go somewhere!
Old Sep 4th, 2019, 03:42 PM

I have mixed feelings about it. I don’t enjoy researching hotels. If I had either an unlimited budget or a really restrictive budget it would be easier. Instead, I want something that’s “just right” in terms of location, ambiance, furnishings and price.

On the other hand I enjoy researching restaurants. We are not foodies but we like good food. Between recommendations from friends (real life and Fodor’s), open table, Yelp, local reviews, etc, I’ve been pretty successful lately. (We ate really well in New Orleans last May - each nights meal was better than the one before). We used to just wander and pop into places but the result wasn’t nearly as good.

Mad for sightseeing, I look at lists and guides, but never plan my daily itinerary in advance. We know in general what we’d like to see and do - if we don’t get to everything, so be it.
Old Sep 4th, 2019, 03:48 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
just wander and pop into places

Yup that's my method. Actually it doesn't work very well -lol-

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -