Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Travel Tips & Trip Ideas (https://www.fodors.com/community/travel-tips-and-trip-ideas/)
-   -   Paying for hotels (https://www.fodors.com/community/travel-tips-and-trip-ideas/paying-for-hotels-974499/)

sal_angel2 Apr 16th, 2013 06:18 AM

Paying for hotels

Just a quick question... should I pay with debit card or credit card for each hotel, hostel while i travel.?

sumrcr Apr 16th, 2013 07:44 AM

Credit Card. No one can use it to clear out your back account if the card is stolen. Also, your loss will be limited, provided you report the lost or stolen card promptly. While traveling use the debit card only at secure ATMs.

sal_angel2 Apr 16th, 2013 07:50 AM

Brilliant, thanks for your advise

november_moon Apr 16th, 2013 10:59 AM

Yep - credit cards - or cash. I never use my debit card while travelling for anything other than getting cash from a bank ATM. I use my debit card at home, which of course carries the same fraud risk - just that if I am at home, an issue with my debit card won't be nearly as big of a hassle as it would be at home.

suze Apr 16th, 2013 12:51 PM

Credit card.

The *only* place I use my debit card when traveling is at a BANK ATM machine to withdraw local currency.

anyegr Apr 16th, 2013 02:32 PM

If it is a smaller place you may not be able to pay with a card at all. Ask the hotel/hostel if they prefer cards or cash. Some places add an extra charge to cover the credit card company's charges. And some places may want it in cash to avoid paying taxes on it (yes, that's illegal, but it still happens).

thursdaysd Apr 16th, 2013 06:29 PM

If you use a credit card, watch out for the DCC scam (dynamic currency conversion). This is where they offer (or go ahead without asking) to charge you in your home currency. Do not accept, and insist on having the transaction voided and rerun if necessary, otherwise you will be stuck with a bad exchange rate. (I travel with Capital One cards, so I pay no currency conversion fee. Check with your card issuer, Credit Unions usually charge 1%).

november_moon Apr 17th, 2013 01:35 PM

Good tip about the DCC scam. It can be worse than getting stuck with a bad exchange rate - depending on the policies of your credit card company, they may still charge you a foreign transaction fee for using the card in another country - even if the charge is in USD.

travlsolo2 Apr 17th, 2013 03:59 PM

Credit card if they accept it, or cash. Sometimes a small hotel which accepts credit cards will give you a discount if you pay cash. Don't be afraid to ask.

sal_angel2 Apr 22nd, 2013 05:44 AM

thank you for the advice.
what does anyone think about thomas cook euro cards!?

thursdaysd Apr 22nd, 2013 06:06 AM

I don't think about them, or anything like them. They are likely a rip-off. I travel with Capital One and Credit Union debit and credit cards. But you should ask about fees and the exchange rate.

dhdhotels Apr 23rd, 2013 02:10 AM

anyegr ,, thanks for your good advice...

hollywoodsc Apr 28th, 2013 02:40 PM

You could get a pre-paid Visa card and only load the amount you'll need/want for your trip.

I'd definitely check if your hotel/hostel will even take a credit card. Some will take it for the reservation but require payment in cash.
Some cities have a hotel tax that must paid by cash when you check out.