Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Travel Tips & Trip Ideas (https://www.fodors.com/community/travel-tips-and-trip-ideas/)
-   -   Paris - suggestions for safe area/accomodation (https://www.fodors.com/community/travel-tips-and-trip-ideas/paris-suggestions-for-safe-area-accomodation-567576/)

flyingsolo Oct 28th, 2005 11:34 AM

Paris - suggestions for safe area/accomodation

I'm 25/F & visiting Paris solo for about 5-6 days in November this year (my mother says she won't be able to sleep!!). I've read things about people being followed & pick-pocketing etc.

I'm thinking of staying in Latin Quarter, but would like to get a feel for what others think about Paris neighbourhoods. I need to be reassured that it'll be ok :)

Thanks.

Catbert Oct 28th, 2005 03:17 PM

You'll be fine. My daughter spent a semester in Paris. She lived in a kind of Foreign Students dormitory that wasn't exactly in the center of the tourist areas, but it was easy to get anywhere by metro. They rent by the day also. I'll report back with the name of it after I get to ask her. Tell your Mom that another Mom said things will be fine if her daughter uses common sense. :-)

Catbert Oct 28th, 2005 03:25 PM

I googled it and found this information:

C.I.S.P. Maurice Ravel
6 avenue Maurice Ravel,
Paris, Metro Porte de Vincennes
00.33.(0).1.44.75.60.00
[email protected]

29.88 euro/single room with breakfast

travgina Oct 30th, 2005 04:42 PM

flyingsolo:

The Latin Quarter is an excellent choice for your first solo trip to Paris. I was there (first time solo) just three weeks ago, staying near Place St. Michel and felt very safe as it is a lively neighborhood.

I also was surprised at how safe I felt wandering the streets at night. Since the locals usually dine between 7 and 10 p.m., you'll find the streets very busy all night long.

In my first two trips to Paris with friends, I saw pickpockets at work in the metro and had my own encounter with one (it didn't work because we had done our homework). On this trip I walked everywhere and never had a problem.

As people on this board have said time and time again, just use common sense and you will have a wonderful time!

freiamaya Nov 26th, 2005 03:16 AM

Hi there!
Try a website www.hostelworld.com. You can research various budget accomodations and see how safe-secure-clean they are and can book online. I often worry about safety (single female traveller myself and have been since the age of 18) and I find that it helps to keep in mind that there are thousands of other tourists in every city along with hundreds of thousands of locals. You won't be the only one on the street trying to get to the Louvre, for example. So, just keep your common sense -- don't walk alone at night in unlight deserted areas, nightclubs and strangers just don't mix very well, don't flash you full wallet, just blend in as much as possible -- and you'll be just fine.
YOU WILL BE JUST FINE -- JUST EXERCISE COMMON SENSE (capitals are for reassurance purposes!)
Have a great time, and tell your mom that she will sleep, and that you will be fine!
Cheers!