Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Travel Tips & Trip Ideas (https://www.fodors.com/community/travel-tips-and-trip-ideas/)
-   -   New Passport needed after weight loss? (https://www.fodors.com/community/travel-tips-and-trip-ideas/new-passport-needed-after-weight-loss-624679/)

oldcrow Jun 19th, 2006 07:18 AM

New Passport needed after weight loss?

Hi,
I have a fairly new U.S. passport, got it in 2005. Well, I just lost over 100 pounds and I no longer look like the same person in my passport. Should I or am I required to get a new passport, since my appearance has undergone such a radical change? I must admit, it's a nice problem to have and I won't mind paying the renewal fee. I'm just curious to know if it is required. I couldn't find any info about this on the U.S. offical passport site.

gail Jun 19th, 2006 10:03 AM

An interesting question (to which I do not have the answer). Even though kids passports are only 5 years, our daughter traveled year 4 on her passport with photo that no one could have matched to her in person - but that was a kid and prior to 9/11, so have no idea what they would do now.

oldcrow Jun 19th, 2006 12:21 PM

As I think about it, I will probably get a new passport whether it is required or not. I don't want to take the chance of being detained in another country over something as silly as a passport photo. The renewal fee is worth the peace of mind.

Carrybean Jun 19th, 2006 04:28 PM

Congratulations! That's quite an accomplishment.

fairygemgirl Jun 19th, 2006 07:19 PM

Yay oldcrow - congrats on the major lifestyle accomplishment! and Have a great time with the new passport!

krisz Jun 20th, 2006 03:41 PM

I don't look anything like my passport picture but nobody mentioned it in a recent trip from the US to Ireland and Scotland. My hair is now short and grey rather than long and brown as in the passport photo. Many people who should recognize me don't.
I read somewhere that unless a person undergoes surgery, one can be recognized by the facial features, the shape of the eyes, etc. This wasn't anything official though. I wouldn't bother getting a new passport if I were you.
I also congratulate you on your weight loss.
krisz

Sunshinesue Jun 24th, 2006 06:26 AM

Congratulations on the weight loss. Good for you! Definitely get the new passport. It is worth the money not to be reminded of what you looked like prior to the weight loss!!!

P_M Jun 24th, 2006 08:47 PM

Good going, oldcrow!!! ((Y))

Perhaps you should change your name to something like dropdeadgorgeous!!

PS I was going to say "thingorgeous," but that one's already taken. :-)

justretired Jun 26th, 2006 02:05 PM

I realized just before a trip that my passport photo has a moustache, which I've now shaved off.

Nobody seemed to notice, though, and other than that, I pretty much look the same.

- Larry

anaaleman Jul 3rd, 2006 06:41 AM

My son went to Thailand for one year when he was 17. When he left home, he was a tad overweight, no beard coming in yet, and only 5'4"...after one year, he had grown 7", lost about 20 pounds and his beard was full....one top of the drastic change in appearance, he could not remember our US address or phone number...we had moved just three weeks prior to his trip and he had not written down his new address.....it took him over 2 hours to convince the US passport control people to let him into the country!! So I would vote for getting a new passport-- he was told to do so immediately and to not travel on a passport that had a photo that no longer resembled him...and this was many years prior to 9/11. Plus you will enjoy the more flattering picture anyway!

LoveItaly Jul 3rd, 2006 02:45 PM

But don't US children have passport that are issued for five years? Surely there is quite a difference in the child's looks, weight and height from the time the passport was issued and it expires.

But I agree, a new passport would be nice to have oldcrow And congratulations on your weight loss. Not easy I am sure. And enjoy whatever trip you are planning!

seetheworld Jul 3rd, 2006 05:42 PM

Children 15 or younger - 5 years

Children 16 or older - 10 years

Congratulations oldcrow!!! Good for you!