Need Amalfi planning help

Sep 3rd, 2017, 04:40 PM
Original Poster
Need Amalfi planning help

We want to see Amalfi coast, Naples, Pompeii perhaps Paestum but need help planning and amount of time required for a relaxing trip
Sep 3rd, 2017, 06:33 PM
We spent three days in Positano and found it a wonderful town - great access to other sites along the coast but beautiful, magical place with great accommodations and places to eat. Everyone there was warm and welcoming - we drove in and parked our car (lot in center of the town) then used the public bus to get to Sorrento and other sites. Hope this helps.
Sep 3rd, 2017, 06:58 PM
Welcome to Fodors. You will get more replies if you post this on the Europe board. You might also consult some guidebooks which will help you decide what YOU want to see/do.
Sep 23rd, 2017, 05:14 PM
I have not stayed there in Summer in a long time, but love the whole area and have been several times. I dream of going back.

If you actually want to visit Naples, and I highly recommend it, stay in Naples a couple of days and besides the museums, visit Herculaneum. It would be a long day, but you could see Pompeii and Herculaneum on the same day.

It is easier to visit Pompeii from Sorrento or Naples, than from the AC.

Lots of options.
Take the train from Naples to Sorrento, then bus or ferry down the coast to Positano or Amalfi.
Take the train from Naples to Salerno, ferry back up the coast to Amalfi.
Take the ferry from Naples to Capri for a night or two. Ferry to Sorrento from Capri.

Many people do not care for touristy Sorrento, but I love the area of nice hotels above the town on via Capo. Once you are up there, it is quiet, especially at night and there are gorgeous views of the Bay of Naples. No matter which town you choose, get a hotel with some kind of veranda or balcony or terrace and great views

Search this Thread