Need advice on best credit cards when living overseas

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26th, 2013, 12:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our credit card company has decided to withdraw our Visa cards since we live in Cambodia since this doesn't work with their "compliance team" (although we've had no problems in the past 3 years we've been living here).

We now find ourselves in the predicament of needing to get new credit cards that will work internationally as we're planning on travelling for a while, as well as provide us with benefits such as car rental insurance coverage and points we can apply to flights and other items (all of which we had with our UBS Visa).

We no longer have bank accounts in the U.S. and don't want to get a credit card from a local bank here in Cambodia. Can anyone help please?
Old Jun 26th, 2013, 08:16 AM

Common 'perks' such as car rental insurance are not universal. It's common for N. American credit cards but I've never heard of it for a UK credit card for example.

Air miles are common for cards in many countries on the other hand.

I think it will be very hard for you to get a credit card from a country where you are not resident or do not have a bank account. You may not have a choice except to get a card from a bank in Cambodia if that is where you live and do your banking.
Old Jun 26th, 2013, 08:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I use Capital One credit cards for travel, but I think you may need a US address to get one. You could also try American Express, although their cards aren't as widely accepted. I think that without a US "base" address you will have difficulty - you really needed to establish that before you left, but you could still try. (Do a search on mail forwarding.)

I suggest reading this: http://everywhereonce.com/2011/11/14...lobal-citizen/ and you might also see if these people have any ideas: http://internationalliving.com/
Old Jun 26th, 2013, 04:39 PM

If you are considering a US based card, note that most charge a foreign currency/foreign country fee of about 3% per transaction, That adds up. Many of the cards that don't charge that fee have an annual fee, but could still be worth it.

But many may require a US address or bank account or US citizenship a card. Jurisdiction issues might be a problem for the companies otherwise.
Old Jun 26th, 2013, 05:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Capital One charges no foreign transaction fee. Most Credit Unions charge 1%.
Old Jun 27th, 2013, 07:22 AM

The OP is in Cambodia. I see little point in comments about US cards unless they are available to the OP. That's his question.

I think the best he can do is a card from ANZ Royal bank in Cambodia. ANZ is an Australian-New Zealand bank.
http://www.anzroyal.com/en/personal/credit-cards/

The issue is that car insurance or points etc. are not included. They charge 2% exchange loading but USB wasn't 0% either.
Old Jun 27th, 2013, 11:23 AM

<<<I see little point in comments about US cards unless they are available to the OP. That's his question.>>>

Just because they no longer have bank accounts in the US doesn't mean that they don't have an address in the US they can use. Sometimes a relative or friend will let you use their address to have stuff mailed to when you need an address in the US.

Check into Capital One or Citi to see if they have anything you can use if you can use or if you might have to use a relatives address in the US.
Old Jun 28th, 2013, 12:25 AM

See if you can get an American Express card in Cambodia.

Give them a call and see if you can get a card: (+66) 2273 5296

A very important note about car insurance covered by your credit card: just because your card offers rental insurance, it might not extend that benefit to the country you want to visit. Read the fine print to see where it is and is not offered.
Old Jul 2nd, 2013, 08:21 AM

I'd try to get American Express, if possible plus one or two others (a Master Card and a Visa). Visa Platinum has good car rental insurance.

Capitol One has some (but not all) cards with no transaction fee.

Have you maintained a US driver's license? I think the next time you are in the US it would be worthwhile to reestablish a bank account (even if using a friend's address) and DL.
Old Jul 2nd, 2013, 09:37 PM

Interesting thing about U.S. driver's licenses: if you get a driver's license in a foreign country and you have to surrender your U.S. license (ok, it's a STATE driver's license but y'all know what I mean), they don't report to your state that your driver's license is no longer valid. So, pay the fees to maintain your U.S. license if you wish although I think a passport (and Social Security card) is good enough if you are a U.S. citizen and want to get a U.S. bank account.
Old Jul 14th, 2013, 08:32 AM

You should be aware that Capital One is one of the US banks that has denied accounts (debit card) to U. S. citizens who live abroad even though they have other US accounts, US drivers' licenses, and US addresses. They can ask for proof of residency within the US for 6 months + l day and a utility bill with applicant's name and address, and use the Patriot Act as the reason for refusing accounts. So if you apply, get all your ducks in a row before starting the application AND never say the words "we live abroad". Won't happen to you? Just google "American citizens abroad denied banking services"....
Old Jul 14th, 2013, 11:13 AM

Blame it on the tax-dodgers in Switzerland

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...594973266.html
Old Jul 14th, 2013, 12:47 PM

Gabi7....You might post your question in the Lounge as well to get more suggestions.
Old Jul 14th, 2013, 12:58 PM

The OP has never bothered to even acknowledge any responses.