South Africa: solo travel or group tour

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11th, 2006, 09:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like to go to South Africa sometime in the next few months and I would like to go with an organized tour. I am also open to travelling solo, but I think it would be safer and cheaper to go with a group of others. Do any of you recommend any tour groups? Also, what has been your experience travelling solo to South Africa if you didn't go with a tour group? Is it safe for a solo female traveler?
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 07:30 PM

For tour group info, you might try the Africa forum. For the solo info, be patient - there aren't that many on this forum and so it takes a bit for someone with an answer to come around.

Unfortunately, I haven't done South Africa so I can't answer...
Old Aug 12th, 2006, 09:19 AM

Oversees Adventure Travel has some good small group tours. I haven't been on one yet, but family members have and have really liked them. I'm considering them for Egypt, Africa and Macchu Piccu.
Old Aug 13th, 2006, 06:11 AM

I spent 10 days in So Africa last year traveling as a solo male. I spent half the time at a safari lodge near Kruger, and the remaining time in the Cape Town area (driving down to Cape Point, ov er to the Winelands, and in Cape Town itself). I felt comfortable throughout the trip, ran into nothing but welcoming people, and thoroughly enjoyed myself. I did not go off exploring places without knowing where I was headed, however.
Old Aug 13th, 2006, 03:14 PM

I went on a tour combined safari with an excellent tour co. called Smartours.com they traveled from Capetown to Jo'burg with stops in between at major points. We traveled by bus and air; I was alone and there were other singles and couples.