Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Travel Tips & Trip Ideas (https://www.fodors.com/community/travel-tips-and-trip-ideas/)
-   -   Name me some crazy activities to do (https://www.fodors.com/community/travel-tips-and-trip-ideas/name-me-some-crazy-activities-to-do-1648476/)

truegrit32 Feb 12th, 2018 03:07 PM

Name me some crazy activities to do

I’ve recently come to the realization that life is way too short to waste time idling around. I’ve decided to embark on an adventure to do as much crazy and fun stuff to do. I’ve got a lot of cash saved up and I’m set to go out and explore the world. My friends have already suggested I’d try out skydiving, trekking, extreme outdoor sports, and more but I think all I’m missing is something physically and emotionally exciting rather than just pure adrenaline.

I was thinking of trying some exotic spa treatments like mud baths and acupuncture. A friend of mine has suggested trying out weird situations like joining an international dating social event, it honestly sounds completely nuts, which is right up my alley. You guys have any other suggestions?

Sassafrass Feb 13th, 2018 08:23 AM

Not crazy, but quite fantastic - a hot air balloon flight in Cappadocia, Turkey.
A blue voyage trip on a gullet in Turkey.
Joining as crew on a sailing ship.
Scuba diving in the Caribbean.

suze Feb 13th, 2018 02:07 PM

Just go someplace where you don't speak the language and don't know anyone. That's always pretty exciting right off the bat.

Sassafrass Feb 13th, 2018 04:32 PM

Suze, that is great advice!

toddhicks209 Feb 16th, 2018 02:20 AM

Mountain climbing is another crazy activity to consider.

RoamsAround Feb 16th, 2018 03:52 AM

How about "lava diving" - you can only do that once in a lifetime! Sorry, couldn't resist making a bit of a joke.

TDudette Feb 16th, 2018 08:53 AM

Drive from London Heathrow to Piccadilly Circus in a car with a manual shift...

What suze wrote also. And do it without any hotel reservations...in August! :-))

Please write a trip report after you return (or along the way).

suze Feb 16th, 2018 11:05 AM

I just happen to think immersing yourself somewhere you can't speak the language, in a place you have never been before, then learning to get around is pretty darn exciting. Want an extra edge go somewhere that does not use the same alphabet as you know.

aliced Feb 16th, 2018 12:50 PM

You can experience a fine mudbath in CA up in Calistoga(Napa) as we did 15 yrs ago in case you wish to save your money for other exhilarating pursuits. Some people want to ride elephants, camels, no thanks from this end. Hot air balloon rides are pretty much everywhere. While I applaud George Bush's skydive at his ripe age of (was it?) 80, I feel absolutely no inclination to do so. I'd be happy to attend my oldest (14!) grandchild's college graduation and dance at her wedding, myself just having turned 71. You could try snowboarding or the "skeleton" which is even more nuts than the luge.

Sassafrass Feb 16th, 2018 01:09 PM

Babysit a friend's toddlers or teens so your friend can have a break.

tomfuller Feb 16th, 2018 02:30 PM

I've had lots of fun over the past 12 years geocaching. Last Sunday DW and I were in Yuma AZ with over 700 geocachers for a Mega Event. On Monday we went to an event to see off the Canadians in Yuma and then went to Los Algodones for our first international event. You don't really need a handheld GPS to look for caches. Many people just use a smart phone with an app.
My first geocaching event of the year was a polar bear plunge at Sunset Bay Oregon at 9AM on January 1.

trailandtide Feb 18th, 2018 08:56 AM

-african safari
-cage dive with sharks (based on personal experience---great whites are terrifying whereas other shark species are just beautiful)
-hike to lava in Hawaii
- take a helicopter to the top of a glacier in New Zealand
-walk around any large city in southeast Asia and try the street food (trust me this is more of an adrenaline rush than you would believe) bonus points if you have no idea what you are eating
-hike in the tetons,alps, drakenburgs, aoraki---really any large range will suffice!
- half dome yosemite
-caving and glowworms in Waitomo
-snorkeling in Palau