Backpack or purse??

Old Mar 27th, 2011, 03:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Backpack or purse??

Kind of a silly question, but wondering if you travel with a backpack and a purse or just one or the other?? I am trying to figure out what to take with me on my trip to Australia.
Old Mar 27th, 2011, 03:54 PM

Neither. I prefer a messenger bag. I have one that is small-medium sized and another that is a medium-large size. The larger one is about the size students might take to school, and the smaller one is around the size of a hardback book. I take the bigger one most of the time and use the smaller one for days out when I don't need to carry much with me.

Backpacks are often too easy for thieves to get into while you walk or are on a crowded subway or bus. People also have a tendency to overload the backpacks and forget that they're there and whack into people when they turn.

A purse is fine, but I would prefer one with a cross body strap for both safety and comfort. With a shoulder bag, it's easy for someone to run/ride by and snag it. It also tends to get heavy and you have to keep a hand on it to keep it from sliding down your arm. A cross body bag distributes the weight across your chest and back instead of just on one shoulder. It also is harder to grab and can be hands free most of the time. In a crowded place (like a subway or a bus) I simply pull my bag more in front of my hip and rest my hand on it. When I'm alone, I spin it a bit more behind me and my hands are free and the bag is completely out of the way.

Consider what you're going to want with you on a regular basis, and adjust your bag to fit your needs. I tend to like a slightly bigger bag than some people because I like to carry snacks (an apple or orange) with me. I tend to carry a water bottle, camera, book, journal, snack, sunblock, and wallet with me most of the time so I need a bag that can hold all of that comfortably. A shoulderbag wouldn't be comfy and a backpack would be a pain to be in and out of all the time. A messenger is a good middle choice for me.
Old Mar 27th, 2011, 05:40 PM

I agree with IowaRedhead on all points.

I'm a little different in that I will bring 3 purses with me. It sounds like a lot but wait.

I carry a large crossbody bag through the airport and on transportation, it's my "tote." If I need a larger bag while on vacation I have one. In the airport, inside the "tote" I carry a very small fabric purse for my passport, money and earplanes, it becomes a part of my clothing when I'm on the plane. I don't like to leave valuables where a stranger might get to them.

I have a med sized cross body bag that holds my camera and all I need at my destination. This is a leather bag that takes up very little space in my suitcase because it holds my undies and socks.
Old Mar 27th, 2011, 08:58 PM

I usually bring some sort of larger bag with a smaller one folded inside. This way I can take more stuff, but can carry a smaller bag when I want to.

I have a SportSac bag that I like - adjustable strap so I can carry it short under my arm or longer with the strap cross-body. I've even worn it with the strap cinched around my waist and the bag to the back while riding a bike. The bag itself is about the size of a hardback book - large enough for a guide book, map, smaller bottle of water, small camera, and wallet.

The larger bag is usually a day pack. I use this as my personal item for the flight over and if we do any hiking or day trips out to the countyside - basically when pickpockets aren't really a threat. If I have it in the city, I keep a really close eye on it and carry it in front on public transport and crowds.
Old Mar 28th, 2011, 09:06 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for all your feedback. I have thought about using a messenger style bag for my trip, but my only problem is that I was thinking of taking a tripod for my dslr camera, so not sure what to do. I like the idea of the messenger bag but also the thought of a backpack. I suppose I could use the backpack on the trip to and from and pack the messenger in either that or my suitcase?
Old Mar 28th, 2011, 11:38 AM

Some bags (backpacks or messenger bags) have or can be modified to have straps on which a tripod can be held
Old Mar 28th, 2011, 01:54 PM

My husband has several camera bags - he uses them as his day bags on trips - both have straps for a tri-pod. For city trips, he takes a "sling" style bag - it has 1 cross-body strap and the bag can be worn on the back, at the side, or on the front as needed - it is convinient for accessing the equipment on the go and thwarting pickpocketers. For more outdoorsy trips, he has a backpack style bag.
Old Mar 28th, 2011, 04:24 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
It depends the type of trip. For beachy vacations in Mexico, Hawaii, the Caribbean I use a simple fabric tote bag with a zippered top. For touring cities in Europe, I use my regular pocketbook from home (leather, medium sized, with a good strap). I don't take camera equipment or electronics though.
Old Mar 28th, 2011, 04:39 PM
Original Poster

Does anyone have any suggestions on specific brands of bags that they have used and really liked??
Old Mar 28th, 2011, 10:37 PM

I’ll have a smaller bag as well; a girl’s gotta have her purse. But I’m actually having my mom make me a bag, something a little bigger than a purse but smaller than a typical messenger bag.
Old Mar 29th, 2011, 08:52 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I don't have any specific brands. But my totebags are along the style of the Le Sports Sac (which are nice but expensive). I don't think the brand really matters. To me what you carry is like shoes, in that it needs to "fit" and be comfortable. You need to shop around for what will work for you.
If you're going with a small backpack style as your day bag, I think any inexpensive daypack, like kids use for school, would be fine.
Old Mar 29th, 2011, 10:13 AM

They are such personal things, it's hard to say. I don't like bags that have lots of little slits and pockets. They don't make sense for me because I change my handbag frequently depending upon the day. I put my cards into a small wallet, I do like have a glasses pouch and a zippered pouch for my wallet.

I have a Fossil bag that I carry when I travel that is perfect for my needs. I don't buy over the top expensive bags and tend to look for sales and shop at TJMaxx.

In the past I've bought Brighton Bags but they are expensive, cute though but didn't hold up well. Very disappointing.
Old Mar 30th, 2011, 01:08 PM

I am currently planning a trip to Europe and have been bag shopping for months now. Finally purchased the two bags below from suggestions from family members who have travelled to Europe. Both are messenger style to be worn in front on subways or in crowded areas or the back. Both are black and both are made out of waterproof/water resistant type material. Larger one for me and my small DSLR camera, guide books, water bottle and shawl. The smaller one for my daughter for her camera, shawl, water bottle.

http://www.rei.com/product/763408

http://www.rei.com/product/810360
Old Mar 31st, 2011, 04:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again for the feedback. OUTinkerbelle, those are similar bags to what I have been looking at. What I have been thinking about doing is getting a backpack and a smallish messenger bag and using the backpack for my flights and longer day trips, and the messenger for during the day around the cities. Still thinking though.
Old Apr 3rd, 2011, 09:18 AM

I'm like LSky.

I carry a very small backpack (it's about purse size)that has features that make it difficult to pickpocket (Eagle Creek Travel Bug bag) for toodling around during the day. It's big enough to carry maps, snacks and a bottle of water.

I also take a super tiny nylon purse (an old Eagle Creek mini-Sidekick which is about 4" x 8" and quite flat) for going out to dinner. The tiny purse started when I realized that I didn't always want to take my backpack, especially for a nicer restaurant. I started with a very lightweight black silk thing that weighed nothing, but it was slippery and always managed to keep me fumbling around under the table after it kept falling off the back of my chair or my lap. The little Eagle Creek has a very thin strap with a cinching device so I can wear it across my body on the way to the restaurant, and once seated can easily switch it to loosely secured around my waist during the meal.

And finally I have a keychain tote (I think it's a Kiva) in which is a full size shopping tote but when folded up is just a tiny nylon lump with a latch on it - so small you could just attach it to your keys.

These three items have covered me for any situation in the last 5 or 6 years.

I am a firm believer in specialized travel gear, since traveling is nothing like my regular life (I am constantly in motion in a new place everyday). But I will admit it took me many years to get a system that reliably works for me in all circumstances. Travel is like anything else - you get better at it the more you do it!
Old Apr 3rd, 2011, 08:16 PM

I have 2 Travelon cross body shoulder bags. They are 6 by 7 " approx.. Small but they actually hold a lot. They fold up pretty flat, so I can tuck them into a messenger bag.
Old Apr 6th, 2011, 08:58 AM

Radley, a London company, produces cross body bags that are of handsome leather in many colors and several sizes. I get mine whenever they are on sale, at Lord and Taylor, for example.

www.radley.co.uk
Old Apr 6th, 2011, 12:46 PM

One trick my mother taught me was to carry my wallet and other valuables in a plastic bag when in a foreign city, preferably using a bag from a local supermarket or shop. Then it just looks like shopping rather than money.
I also use a large-ish sportsac purse (as it weighs nothing) for the plane and often pack a small backpack in my suitcase.
Old Apr 6th, 2011, 12:49 PM

I use (and am very satisfied with) a DayMakers Santa Barbara bag. It is lightweight (constructed of black high density micro-fiber) with an adjustable strap that goes from short, high underarm to cross body. Strap is reinforced with two fine steel cables. Water repellent. Can be cleaned with a damp cloth - highly dirt/stain resistant (and I've put it through some real nasty tests!). Light colored lining so it's easy to find things in the bottom, app 8" wide x 9" high with 5" bottom width. One inside full size zippered pocket and one inside shallow pocket with attached swivel clip on a short lanyard. Open full size pocket on back with covered (velcro closure) phone pocket inside, one outside zippered pocket on back and one outside zippered pocket on front under strap-restrained cover flap. I comfortably carry water bottle, camera, guide book, cell phone, cosmetic bag, keys journal and "stuff". Purchased through Magellan's. There were two sizes available and it was also available in leather. I chose the fabric because it was lighter weight. I think about $70. I like it so much that it has become my everyday bag, not just one for travel.

I do not carry money, credit cards or passport in my hand bag. I have a Coach leather "wallet-on-a-string" that is exactly the size of a passport. This too I carry cross body UNDER my coat or jacket. Open it is app 8 1/2" x 6". There is one outside pocket on the back. Inside there are two pockets - one zippered holds coin, one open holds paper money - in the top section. Lower section has one pocket for passport and two narrower pockets for credit cards, driver's license and hotel room entry card. It is very flat even when full.
Old Apr 6th, 2011, 01:16 PM

Shianne -- I usually use a backpack [though I'm WAYYY past my student years] but carry some sort of fabric clutch or shoulder bag -- some friends brought me one from France that's about 4"x5" ... it doesn't carry much, but it works fine for going out to dinner or whatever.
My main reason for replying, though, is to suggest that, rather than carrying a big tripod with you, you look into a Gorillapod or something similar. I am NOT, by any stretch of the imagination, a competent photographer; I take pictures for myself, to help me recall wonderful memories, and the quality of the photo is less important to me than the subjects. But you sound like you know what you're doing!
http://www.rei.com/search?search=Gorillapod
Have fun in Oz!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -