Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Travel Tips & Trip Ideas
Reload this Page >

Mom's 60th in Europe or ? with 3 Adult Kids, Spouses & 1 Grandbaby

Old Jun 19th, 2009, 03:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I was thinking of an Italian villa in Tuscany for 2 weeks in September/October 2010. I am hesitating because I am nervous about transporting 8 adults and a baby and do not want to spend our time only at a villa. Will there be enough to do, places to go and see? Will it be too difficult to get everyone out together? All of us have traveled -- My husband and I go to Europe each year, most recently to England,Wales, Scotland, France (Paris, Loire Valley & Normandy), Germany, and Italy. We like to sight see, but especially like exploring places that are off the beaten tourist locations. If we go to Italy, which we think would be good because of the weather, food, atmosphere and people, is there any difficulty driving? I drove in Naples and almost had a heart attack! Driving on the Amalfi Coast in January was fabulous, but I would not like to repeat the Naples experience.

Other places that we have thought of as possibilities are Spain, Greek Islands, Turkey, Australia, Hawaii and possibly the UK. My husband and I have traveled quite a bit and have particularly enjoyed Scotland, Ireland, North Wales, Berlin, Prague & Budapest. I was in Greece many, many years ago and enjoyed that too. I would like to have 3 places to explore the possibilities. I would like to be able to stay together in one house or villa, but do not know what is available and do not want to have to cook 3 meals a day for everyone! Are there villas that come with cooks? Drivers? We also like hiking and photography, so nice trails and great views and interesting people to photograph would be great. Anyone with good or bad experiences to offer sagely advice? Thanks for responding with ideas and tips.
Old Jun 19th, 2009, 04:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome to Fodors. You will get more answers if you re-post on the Europe board. Click on "Change Forum" at the top of the page. If you're seriously interested in Australia you could cross-post on that board also, but that will be a much longer plane trip (assuming you're in the US).
Old Jun 20th, 2009, 04:16 AM

Have you considered Croatia? There seem to be lots and lots of villas, plus houses that list 3 or 4 apartments in the same building. I have not been, but have planned a trip there for Sept this year.

The scenery looks amazing. Plus if you based yourselves near a port, you could do daytrips via ferry boat - (easy to accomodate a large group) to a few of the 1100 islands off the coast.

Happy planning!
H
Old Jun 23rd, 2009, 08:02 AM

If you've never been to Hawaii, then that's where I would recommed that you go for your 60th. It's a wonderful place for a relaxing family trip that will provide you with great memories. I love Maui and Ohau. My family stayed at an incredible condo on Maui where we could watch the whales play from our lanai. If you're interested in more info, I can get the name for you.
Old Jul 2nd, 2009, 07:33 AM
Original Poster

Did you find Hawaii expensive? Also, other tha beach, what is there to do?
Old Jul 2nd, 2009, 07:49 AM

Yes, Hawaii is very expensive, but it is truly paradise. There's plenty to do other than going to the beach. You can take scenic drives, take a helicopter ride, explore volcanoes, attend a luau, go horseback riding, and shop.