Search

Mexico/Puerto Rico

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17th, 2009, 01:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mexico/Puerto Rico

I want to surprise my husband for his 40th, January 20, 2010. Just a quick 4 day weekend but I need help. I also need cheap and tropical! Any ideas?
HELP!
Anne
Old Jul 17th, 2009, 01:22 PM

Fly into Cancun and take the ferry to Isla Mujeres. It is tropical, MUCH less commercial than Cancun (gag) and has some good prices and GREAT beaches. No need for a car.

OR

Fly into San Juan and then take a short puddle-jumper flight to the island of Vieques. AMAZING bio-luminescent bay that can't be missed. Again, it a laid-back location with some good prices. Vieques has some terrific, isolated beaches. You probably need a rental Jeep to travel around the island (and to get to those isolated beaches!).

Start looking at airfares now so you get a feel for what a bargain fare might be, so when one pops up, you can grab it. Subscribe to airfarewathdog.com FOR SURE to keep an eye on airfares. Start scouting out lodging, the cost of meals, transportation, etc. so when a bargain airfare pops for either location, you'll be ready with the information you need to grab it (or not). You've got time on your side.

Researching and reading and planning for the trip is (IMHO) part of the fun and anticipation. Even more fun for you since you'll be keeping it all secret from your lucky hubby.
Old Jul 17th, 2009, 01:25 PM

P.S. You might want to also post your question in the "Mexico & Central America" and the "Caribbean" forums.
Old Jul 18th, 2009, 08:54 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Where are you flying from?

East Coast US then the Caribbean (either an island or that side of Mexico) makes more sense. From the mid-West or West Coast then head to Cabo or Puerto Vallarta.
Old Jul 19th, 2009, 05:21 AM

I would look for good deals on packages. On our anniversary3 years back we got a great deal at El Convento in Old San Juan. We drove around the island, went to Culebra and had a great time. A couple of years ago we did something similar in Mexico. Stayed at La Quinta de Las Acacias in Guanajuato. It was really nice. Look for the deals.
Old Jul 20th, 2009, 12:27 PM
Original Poster

We will be flying from Indiana, the Midwest. Thanks for your suggestions. I'll keep you posted. If you think of any more ideas let me know. For now, I'll work on your suggestions. I'll post it in Mexico/Central America too.
Thanks, Anne
Old Jul 20th, 2009, 05:51 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
My favorites are Puerto Vallarta or Cabo San Lucas. Both can be cheap enough, depending where you stay, where you eat, what you choose to do.

But for such a short trip, I'd hold out for somewhere you can get to on a NONSTOP flight.