Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Travel Tips & Trip Ideas
Reload this Page >

What does the TSA think is a liquid or gel?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4th, 2009, 06:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have not flown since before the new rules about liquids (actually since slightly before 9/11) and am not 100% sure of what does and does not count. The TSA website is very clear about what one should do with a liquid or gel, but they don't bother to define them. My father and I are flying to Dublin at the end of the month, and while we are figuring to buy things like toothpaste and shampoo there, I do not want to mess with strange brands of cosmetics (or pay for an entire new "face" in Euros for no good reason).

Obviously foundation is one, as is perfume, and I'm assuming lip gloss is too. But what about mascara? Lipstick? Cream eyeshadows? Should I just put the contents of my cosmetic bag in the baggie and let the TSA worry about it if there's stuff in there that doesn't need to be? I know this is a little stupid, but I have visions of holding up security for an hour for some dumb thing I didn't realize was a liquid. I really don't want my make-up in my checked bag if I can avoid it, either.
Old Sep 4th, 2009, 09:03 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
lipstick in a tube and mascara are OK, lipgloss not, i'm not sure about cream eye shadow (i use powder which is OK)

No I would not put all your make up in the ziplock, because you only get that single 1-qt bag. So I'd use it for travel sizes of things that are truly liquid or gel.

I separate my makeup & toiletries into "wet" and "dry" categories, and only the wet goes into a clear ziplock. Dry goes into a regular cosmetic case at the bottom of my carry-on bag.
Old Sep 4th, 2009, 06:39 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, Suze. The lipstick really had me stumped (I wouldn't really call it a gel, but it's not solid either). I'll probably err on the side of caution and put the cream eyeshadow in the baggie.
Old Sep 4th, 2009, 08:19 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Actually - mascara IS a liquid and some agents will notice if it isn't in the qt baggie. But Mascara is so small - just put it in the baggie and you'll be fine.

Originally lipstick, chapstick, solid deodorant were considered 'liquids/gels'

Now - basically if it is bullet shaped (Lipstick/Chapstick) it doesn't have to be in the baggie. If you use a wand or your finger to apply it, or roll it on - then it does go in the baggie: lip gloss pots/wands, liquid concealer, roll on deodorant plus anything that is obviously liquid.
Old Sep 6th, 2009, 04:59 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, Janis, as well. I proably will toss the mascara in there on general principles.
Old Sep 6th, 2009, 05:33 PM

just make sure that any liquid you do bring is in a container that only holds 100ml (3 oz) or less.
Old Sep 6th, 2009, 06:50 PM

Thanks for the correction janisj. I don't use mascara but thought I'd read it was OK these days. Sorry.

Actually while 3 oz. is the max, to me that is pretty huge. I have a set of small plastic bottles I fill with my own shampoo, conditioner, body lotion, etc. and 1 or 2 oz. lasts me for several weeks. This only matters if you are trying to pack carry-on only. If you have a checked bag, you can pack this into a large ziplock and layer it in with your clothes.
Old Sep 6th, 2009, 07:46 PM

suze: Mascara will sometimes make it through - sometimes not. So just to be on the safe side it easily fits in the baggie . . .
Old Sep 7th, 2009, 07:31 AM

Actually for me for things I don't need to have immediately or am not sure about regulations, I put in my checked luggage. Usually a cosmetic case & a gallon sized ziplock with other liquids, like a full size of sunscreen. But I did notice persimmondeb specifically said she didn't want her make up in her checked bag... but that would seem the easiest to me
Old Sep 7th, 2009, 05:18 PM
Original Poster

I'm always worried about leakage, even in a bag, and I like having it on hand for touch-ups, and also if I were parted from my checked bags, it's something I don't have to worry about replacing or doing without for several days.
Old Sep 8th, 2009, 09:32 AM

Believe me, I understand wanting to have important, every day make-up with you! But for less essential liquid items, I simply double-ziplock them and layer in my suitcase with the clothes. Then you don't have to worry about the TSA screening. I won't try to talk you into it ;-) but will say I have never once had a leak and have been doing this for years, many many trips.
Old Sep 9th, 2009, 10:51 AM

I would buy a a couple of sets of 3oz or smaller bottles, I get them at the dollar store, (if there are certain toiletries that are must haves), so you know how much you can carry on.
Then put all in a 1 qt ziplock. (only 1 1qt bag per person) You can fit quite a bit in 1 qt bag. Then you should have a good idea what will fit in your carry on.
If you have never been to Ireland before every hotel I stayed in did NOT have wash cloths. So you may want to pack one. I have never had a problem with lipsticks or glosses Have a safe and wonderful trip.
Jaye
Old Sep 9th, 2009, 01:20 PM

You would think the TSA would just put up a chart on their website of common examples of gels/liquids, but that would require them to have common sense!

They'll tell you that firearms and hunting knives are not permitted on board (duh), but they won't distinguish the more common toiletries that real people travel with.
Old Sep 11th, 2009, 07:36 AM

I used the TSA approved travel bottle kit (http://www.familytravelgear.com/page...Travel-Bottles) on a domestic flight which worked great. My brother used it too on his intl flight to Europe without any problems. I wonder though if there is a better system. I will often ship my luggage to my destination (domestic) which eliminates 100% of the hassle, but that is not always an option.
Old Aug 18th, 2012, 09:08 AM

Does TSA consider a Body Lotion Bar as liquid?
Old Aug 18th, 2012, 09:32 AM

If something is in bar form, it isn't a liquid - so no . . .
Old Aug 20th, 2012, 06:57 PM

I have noticed airline security is getting more relaxed about this. I havrnt put mascara or lipgloss in a baggie in a couple years.
Old Aug 23rd, 2012, 05:48 PM

I work as an international flight attendant and mascara and lipstick has been taken from me when it wasn't in a ziplock overseas(even in uniform!)-the UK is the worst!Pack all your regular toiletries in your checked bag and then go to Walmart,Target or local drugstore and get the smaller 3 ounce sizes for your ziploc.