Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Travel Tips & Trip Ideas (https://www.fodors.com/community/travel-tips-and-trip-ideas/)
-   -   Luggage (https://www.fodors.com/community/travel-tips-and-trip-ideas/luggage-1669511/)

Inakauaidavidababy Jul 16th, 2019 06:11 PM

Luggage

In the market for a bit of a set. No need for luggage that costs more then whats inside.
Checked and carryon with wheels Must be a rare color or pattern.
Any brands you like or websites to go to?

jubilada Jul 16th, 2019 06:23 PM

Very unfancy , but I swear by IT . Comes in lots of patterns, inexpensive, very very light. The expandable models are amazing. Available online from the company, on Amazon, and at TJMaxx or Marshall’s.
Its all we use.

joto Jul 16th, 2019 06:45 PM

Our go to luggage is Eagle Creek. Not the cheapest, and not the lightest weight, but hard wearing and they have a good warranty, which we have used once for a zipper. We do use their packing cubes as well, which helps a lot with organising clothes and "stuff".

crefloors Jul 16th, 2019 07:29 PM

I ordered Travelpro luggage on line. It was about half of what I would pay in most stores. I also got two Travelpro pieces at Tuesday Morning at a ridiculously low price but THAT was just getting lucky. They don't have the same things all the time. I have seen good luggage on sale at Kohls.

I was trying to find the website I got my pieces from and can't find it.

Inakauaidavidababy Jul 16th, 2019 07:49 PM

Thanks everyone. You have given me some great things to research.

Jean Jul 17th, 2019 07:13 AM

https://www.frommers.com/slideshows/...ime-guarantees

Briggs & Riley and Osprey have the best "lifetime" guarantees, if that matters to you. I have had to deal with B&R about damage caused by baggage handlers, and they were great.

HappyTrvlr Jul 17th, 2019 07:34 AM

I've used Travel Pro for years. A visit to an AWAY store now has me very interested in their products.

VonVan Jul 17th, 2019 08:23 AM

I read somewhere that flight crews often prefer TravelPro, and that always stuck with me.
I like mine, but it’s not the lightest weight —— bought inexpensively at TJMaxx. Mine is the ubiquitous black but I use a ”crime scene yellow” strap around it.
I once entertained myself at a CDG gate by watching the flight crew board and many did in fact use TravelPro.

charsuzan Jul 17th, 2019 08:40 AM

I got an IT bag at TJ Maxx. I can't decide if I like it or not.

suze Jul 17th, 2019 01:06 PM

I wonder why this was moved out of the Lounge, where many more people would reply? Instead of Travel Tips which no one reads??

I am an IT devote. There are quite a few different styles, so you can't really talk about liking the brand or not. It's more about the specific styles. I'm hooked on them because even the larger sized suitcases (24 or 26 inches) weigh less than 5 lbs. empty. The two I have have very unusual patterns and are unmistakable coming off the conveyor belt at the airport!!

The TravelPro brand the couple times I've tried it were way too heavy empty.

Really when I need a new bag I just head to TJ Maxx or Marshalls and see what they've got that day.

RM67 Jul 17th, 2019 01:22 PM

Hard sided
Four wheels
Grab handles on at least two adjacent sides
Combination lock
Lightweight

You don’t need an unusual pattern or colour - you just need tags, labels or ties that make your case stand out.

i like Samsonite

Melnq8 Jul 17th, 2019 01:32 PM

I like Samsonite too. In purple.

VonVan Jul 17th, 2019 01:54 PM

Suze, right now 59 viewers in The Lounge, 98 right here.
Perhaps Loungers are more likely to post?

suze Jul 17th, 2019 02:29 PM

Precisely! "Viewers" are not posters or necessarily actual participants. Often there are over 100 people on the Mexico branch, yet we can go several days without a new post.

suze Jul 17th, 2019 02:30 PM

I don't need an unusual pattern or color but I prefer them. My ITs are both extremely distinctive.

janisj Jul 17th, 2019 02:40 PM

>>I wonder why this was moved out of the Lounge, where many more people would reply? Instead of Travel Tips which no one reads??<<

>>Precisely! "Viewers" are not posters or necessarily actual participants. Often there are over 100 people on the Mexico branch, yet we can go several days without a new post.<<

Actually - quite a few more have posted to it after it was moved than while it was in the Lounge. There were 3 responses (other than the OP's) in the Lounge and 10 posts since the move. So apparently no one is having any problems finding the thread here . . .

Macross Jul 17th, 2019 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by HappyTrvlr (Post 16954660)
I've used Travel Pro for years. A visit to an AWAY store now has me very interested in their products.

My niece has the away with the charger. I know some airlines are confused if you have to take the battery out or not. AA has a notice by the gate to remove but some say no. I like the feel of the bag,

I have a 20-inch lipault and do like it. I can fit a lot inside it but sometimes want a hard-sided bag.

Inakauaidavidababy Jul 17th, 2019 06:22 PM

Regardless, thank you for all the suggestions always welcome
well almost always
Went to the Outlets today and shopped bloomies outlet, tumi store and Sax5th and Sampsonite and Luggage Outlet and Tjmax which was surprising and Kohls and now looking online again before we pull the trigger. It was good for my husband to see some unclose to "get it". LOL

schmerl Jul 18th, 2019 05:35 AM

I love my very purple IT suitcase. It is the lightest suitcase I've ever had. That's important because I tend to be an over packer. :)

suze Jul 18th, 2019 06:51 AM

So apparently no one is having any problems finding the thread here... Because they are seeing the link that was left IN the Lounge? That's how I got here. These folks are not usually on the Travel Tips branch. So in fact their move strategy worked! Not a complaint just an observation, I like this branch and wish it was more active. But the Lounge needs every post it can get right now to survive too.

Back to this question... Luggage is something I really like to shop for in person. The two times I've bought a suitcase online I wasn't thrilled with them and donated them after a couple tries - wheels were not good, shape did not pack well, too heavy, etc. When I shop in person at TJ Maxx I drag the bag all around the store, open and close all the zippers, etc.