Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Travel Tips & Trip Ideas (https://www.fodors.com/community/travel-tips-and-trip-ideas/)
-   -   Lightweight Check In Luggage (https://www.fodors.com/community/travel-tips-and-trip-ideas/lightweight-check-in-luggage-847028/)

acme510 Jun 28th, 2010 06:57 AM

Lightweight Check In Luggage

Looking for lightweight luggage to replace existing pieces. Have narrowed it down to: Titan 360 Four Diamond 27 inch Spinner Trolley and the Eagle Creek HC2 Hovercraft Upright 28 inch. Has anyone one used either one of these and can you offer any feedback on performance and durability. Also any other suggestions for me to consider would be appreciated.

Iowa_Redhead Jun 28th, 2010 07:44 AM

I don't have either of these two bags so can't offer feedback, but there are a few things to consider before purchasing either bag.

Both bags weigh around 10 pounds. That's pretty heavy and takes up 20% of a standard weight limit of 50 pounds.

At 27-28", that's a lot of bag and at 3/4 full you'll be at or over your weight limit. Also, many places are simply not set up for such a large bag. Depending on the trip I usually take a 24-25" bag and it still seems pretty huge.

What kind of traveling do you intend to do with this bag? A Carribbean cruise often involves fancy clothes and many changes of clothes while a trip to Europe often involves fewer changes of clothes and smaller spaces (trains, cars, hotels, etc). Your intended use should drive what kind of bag you want. On recent bus tours I've taken the 24" roller and it's been fine. on an upcoming trip to China, I'll take a convertible backpack that fits a ton of stuff but cranks down to carryon size.

I think both bags are expensive. While more expensive does sometimes mean more durable, often it doesn't. I have a cheap bag from Target (Swiss Army) that has come through major beatings with flying colors, while my Dad has purchased much more expensive bags that didn't make it through a single trip.

Personally, I think both bags are rather expensive, heavy and larger than most people would ever need or even really want. A slightly smaller bag still allows a lot of stuff but is much easier to use.

You'll likely get more opinions if you repost this in the Lounge forum.

thursdaysd Jun 28th, 2010 08:00 AM

Totally agree with previous post. My first reaction was "why so big"? Also, if you're flying outside the US, the weight limits will be lower.

HappyTrvlr Jun 29th, 2010 08:28 AM

We have Rick Steves' 21" with wheels, 8+ pounds, easy to put in overhead bins. There's a handle on the bottom as well as on top.

suze Jun 29th, 2010 08:49 AM

I guess those look OK if you really need such a gigantic suitcase for some reason.. But I would never pay retail. You can find great deals on sale at Macy's or at stores like a Marshall or TJ Maxx.

suze Jun 29th, 2010 08:51 AM

Between those two you specifically mentioned, I like the 1st one much better (a hard-sided clam-shell style).

LEANNA Jun 29th, 2010 09:48 PM

I use a rolling duffle I have had on several trips over several years. Its 28 inches which I like as I take it half empty so there is always room for shopping stuff!!!

Weight = 8 lbs empty

Ross = $39.99.