Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Travel Tips & Trip Ideas (https://www.fodors.com/community/travel-tips-and-trip-ideas/)
-   -   Late December, early January travel (https://www.fodors.com/community/travel-tips-and-trip-ideas/late-december-early-january-travel-1135683/)

bribot Oct 11th, 2016 07:48 AM

Late December, early January travel

Hi all!

My friend and I (25 years old) have about 9-11 days we can travel in December-January. Thinking of departing on Dec 27-30th and returning in January (whatever works out to be the cheapest)

Having a hard time deciding where to go because it (unfortunately) will be the new year. Somewhere budget friendly, nothing more than $2500 including flight, hotel/private-room hostels (probably will use air miles to cover 5-6 days of stay in a hotel), food and spending money. We would like somewhere safe, and also fun but not too crazy for new years.

We had London in mind then a few days up around Scotland and possibly Dublin.

Or Prauge, Krakow, Warsaw...

Also, we are concerned with new years day being a holiday... and was reading that the 2nd of January this year many things will be closed.. we don't want to be stuck in our hotel for that day.

Then we are thinking we could do an all inclusive for $1800-2000 in mexico... but then that seems really like a waste of money.

Any other ideas on destinations we haven't thought of or overall thoughts? We like sightseeing, museums, hiking, etc., but also enjoy relaxing on the beach.

MmePerdu Oct 11th, 2016 08:00 AM

You seem to be limiting yourself to Europe and AIs in Mexico. It's a bigger world than that and weather that time of year would have me thinking Asia, even for 10 days. One location, too many to name, could be worthwhile, plus warm weather, good food, beaches and all the things you mention. And cheap.

janisj Oct 11th, 2016 08:43 AM

If you are leaning to Europe -- then you'll get lots of suggestions if you re-post on the Europe Forum.

>>we don't want to be stuck in our hotel for that day. <<

Why would a holiday have you stuck in a hotel room. That is an ideal time to be out and about.

suze Oct 11th, 2016 10:57 AM

Why do you have to go "all inclusive" in Mexico if you think it is "a waste of money"? You can do it on your own. Trick about that is that Christmas and New Years is an expensive time in the tourist destination towns (hotels hike their rates those two weeks).

Sassafrass Oct 11th, 2016 06:46 PM

Is the $2500 for both of you, or do you each have $2500?

mlgb Oct 11th, 2016 07:25 PM

California has some of its best weather that time of year. Locals don't necessarily travel then since they like to stay home for the holidays.

bribot Oct 12th, 2016 01:31 PM

Thanks all for the comments so far.

Sassafrass: $2500 each.

Mlgb: I agree, although I've been to Cali too many times to count! Lots of family there.

I'm open to any ideas, the more specific the area to look into the better. I had considered Asia but I don't know much about it, where in Asia around this time would have decent weather, be relatively cheap and not unsafe? We were sticking to places this time that we feel will be "safe" for two women traveling (although where can you go that is really "safe" anymore).

MmePerdu Oct 12th, 2016 01:33 PM

"...where can you go that is really "safe" anymore."

Asia.

emalloy Oct 13th, 2016 04:56 AM

Depending on where you are coming from, you could get a flight/hotel package for Vegas for less than you are wanting to spend. To avoid the crazy, rent a car and head out to the state and national parks. Do an overnight in Grand Canyon - the room will wait for you, long day trips to Death Valley and Zion, shorter day trips to Valley of Fire, Red Rock Canyon, Hoover Dam, etc .

Sassafrass Oct 13th, 2016 09:20 AM

Consider a 7 day cruise to the Caribbean. You can easily to do it with your budget and have left over. Choose the right cruise and you will have some beautiful beaches, entertainment, etc.

suze Oct 13th, 2016 10:00 AM

(although where can you go that is really "safe" anymore)

Well you haven't mentioned any places you're considering that I would consider unsafe, actually.