DH Offers Trip of a Lifetime

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28th, 2007, 06:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess I'm still in shock -- and I need to share!

DH wants me to take a solo trip for a week in Europe. No husband, NO KIDS!

He explains that I need to get out into the world and find out who I am when I'm not a parent -- we have three little ones: 3.5 and 14 month twins.

I consider myself a travel addict, so you would think I'd be thrilled -- but I'm actually kind of nervous...

Old Dec 28th, 2007, 06:54 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Going solo to Europe always makes me a bit nervous too. I think that's OK. Once you get there it will be wonderful. With a week for myself I'd pick just one city and stay somewhere central. Heaven.

Old Dec 28th, 2007, 07:13 AM
Original Poster

That is the big question -- where do I go? I was thinking of spending a week in a city, but I also want to take advantage of being kid-less (they do s-l-o-w you down ), and move around a bit, maybe two destinations.

Do I return to a place I've already visited (like Rome) or somewhere new (like London or Paris)?

Five full days isn't much time...

Old Dec 28th, 2007, 08:36 AM

What a wonderful idea for DH to come up with for you. He sounds like he is a caring, loving person. I, too, would pick one city and maybe take day trips into the country. Like you say five days isn't that long.

Or fly into one city, take a train to another city and fly from there. Such as flying into Florence and out of Venice, you will get a taste of both places.
Old Dec 28th, 2007, 09:14 AM
Original Poster

He is amazing, isn't he? I don't think many men would take a week of vacation to stay home with the kids, so that their wife could go off on her own adventure.

Since we've been together since I was 19 and I'm now 29, he wants to make sure I don't "lose myself." Almost like a relationship investment.

I was also thinking Florence-Venice.

Or London, but I don't know why.

Or somewhere in Spain, b/c I nothing about that country...

Too many choices -- what a problem
Old Dec 28th, 2007, 09:27 AM

London would be a good idea, you can take day trips to Bath or the Cotswalds. There is enough to do in London to keep you occupied though.

I would vote for Florence-Venice or all in Rome with day trips.
Old Dec 28th, 2007, 06:42 PM

Wow, you are one lucky lady.
If I ever get married I hope my husband would be just as cool or he'd just have to bite the bullet 'cause I would roll out regardless.

I can't wait to hear what you decide.
Have you been to Prague?
Old Dec 29th, 2007, 07:05 AM
Original Poster

I haven't been to Prague, but I've heard it's beautiful. I was also looking into Croatia.

Then there is Rome...I've already been there but I LOVED it...

This still seems so unreal. And I can't imagine how our families will react when they find out - LOL!

I was also hoping to use my CC Miles for a ticket, but with such short notice (want to go around May) I might go wherever I can get a ticket.

Old Dec 29th, 2007, 09:38 AM

I don't see how you could go wrong with Paris!
Old Dec 29th, 2007, 09:39 AM

Why not start working on the plane ticket now? See where those miles can get you? Before you stress to much figuring out a destination that won't be covered. Kind of like rolling the dice. Amsterdam? Paris? Rome? Venice? Vienna?
Old Dec 29th, 2007, 02:07 PM

I was thinking Croatia as well before getting to your post that you had that in mind as well. I was just in London and it is EXPENSIVE. So ridiculous. Prague was on the same trip and while that was spectacular, I think 3 days is enough. You could add on Vienna or Budapest, but Croatia is supposed to be beautiful, incredible, still fairly resonable expense-wise, and won't be as crowded in May. Otherwise go to Barcelona. have fun!
Old Jan 2nd, 2008, 12:56 PM

I did a solo trip to Spain a few years ago and had a fabulous time. With a week, I would split it up between Madrid and Barcelona (I hit a bunch of towns in Andalucia, too, but I was there for 2 weeks).

The people are great and the cities are very different but both vibrant.

Old Jan 5th, 2008, 07:40 AM
Original Poster

I booked my tickets and I feel ill. Totally panicked. I'm in shock. I can't believe I followed through!

I fly into Venice and out of Rome. I have one week. May 12-20.

I have four months to get this trip planned and calm down.

Old Jan 5th, 2008, 08:40 AM

Ha, don't feel ill, it is just excitement!! Good for you, accept the gift idea gracefully and start planning!
Old Jan 5th, 2008, 09:00 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Seaurchin! I read your Rome mio solo trip report and enjoyed it a lot. I would like to do something similiar.

Therefore --- I am second-guessing my Venice-Rome idea. I wanted to fly into Florence but my CC Miles wouldn't let me. And I do want to see Venice, but so does DH...

I think spending the week in Rome with day trips to Florence and Pompeii might be a better idea.

I have 72 hrs to change my flight without charge so I'm going to start researching the better option.
Old Jan 5th, 2008, 09:05 AM

I would concentrate on just going to Rome too. Transferring between cities takes time and effort (but then I am train-challenged). I have done day trips to Florence and to Pompeii on trains, it is a lot easier w/o luggage. Also Enjoy Rome has days trips to Pompeii on a bus, if that appeals to you.

Somewhere is another report of mine which includes the day trips, but others have done it too.
Old Jan 5th, 2008, 10:27 AM
Original Poster

I just changed it. I will spend a week in Rome with daytrips to Florence and where ever else I want.

Now I have to start the hotel search...
Old Jan 5th, 2008, 01:40 PM

Ooooo, that sounds great.
I've never been.
Old Jan 18th, 2008, 04:28 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
mebe,

This was my first peek at the Solo forum and I remembered you from your Paris apt vs hotel question.

When my girls were 4 and 7 my husband encouraged me to go away for 28 days to do a Yoga teacher certification. Before that, I had taken some short spa weekends and yoga retreats but nothing near as long. It was a real bonding experience for my husband and my daughters. I saw them once in the middle of the program. I can't tell you how much I missed them!

A number of years later, he encouraged me to do a 2-year intensive 2nd degree program in Nursing. It was a pretty insane time for our family, but we survived and once again he had some special time with his girls.

Our marriage is not perfect, but over 20 years I can say that he has always supported my dreams no matter how impractical or expensive. It means so much to me and I think it sets a good example for my 2 daughters.

Now we are living in Europe and while he works long hours I plan trips for myself, and for my girls and I, and on occasion for the entire family. For Christmas this year he gave me a week long trip to Ravenna, Italy to attend a mosaic course. I can't wait to go. My oldest daughter is pretty jealous as she loves Italy and mosaics but she has school

Take the time for yourself and keep doing that over the years. Your husband is a wise and generous man and he will have a much more interesting wife as a result. Don't freak out about how everything is done while you're away. As long as the babies are fed and safe all is well.

You may be lonely at times but sometimes we need to feel lonely when we have so many people clinging to us.

g.
Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:02 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the encouragement Gruezi. I read your message a few days ago, but I haven't had a quiet moment to respond. I would love to see the Ravenna and the mosaics. I hope you have a wonderful time!

I've been going through a spell of mixed emotions. My family doesn't understand why I'm going and they are strangely quiet about the subject. I'm not sure why I want their approval, but I do.

I'm excited about my trip but also a bit overwhelmed with the planning. Being able to do anything I want is daunting. And not having anyone to share the excitement with has been a bit of a bummer. This must be the first step in being okay with doing things on my own

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -