Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Travel Topics > Travel Tips & Trip Ideas
Reload this Page > Is Europe any cheaper in 2009 with the global economic slump?
Notices

Is Europe any cheaper in 2009 with the global economic slump?

May 14th, 2009, 01:41 PM
Original Poster

Is Europe any cheaper in 2009 with the global economic slump?

Or are you finding that prices (airfares, hotels, museum prices, etc.) remain pretty much the same as in more economically robust years? The exchange rate still seems high. We're trying to decide whether to go to Europe on such short notice (this July, using FF miles) or stay in the US.

We're considering Spain, only because I'm a bit more familiar with the sights & geography, thus making this spur-of-the-moment planning a bit easier.

Just curious as to your observations, as well as good bargain destinations. Thanks!
May 14th, 2009, 04:32 PM

I just spent a month in France. I would say that the prices in euro were pretty much the same, although you could try bargaining with the hotels if you stay at upmarket ones. However, the exchange rate is a great deal better for people with dollars than it was last year. I would say that both airfares and the exchange rate are great and you shouldn't pass up this opportunity.
May 14th, 2009, 08:11 PM
yk

Musuem prices don't change. However, commercial attractions may offer some discount vouchers online, so you need to search for them (if they exist).

Smalller hotels don't lower the prices... their margin is usually pretty small, though I have noticed more "last-minute discounts" on vacation rentals. You may be able to get a discount from smaller hotels if you are willing to pay cash.

For big business hotels, you need to sign up for their e-newsletter and check for deals.

Airfares certainly are lower this year, and many airlines are offering double EQMs.

Exchange rate is still fairly favorable right now, compared to what it was in 2008.

I would say Europe is cheap, but definitley cheaper than the last few years.
May 15th, 2009, 08:24 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the comments. We've decided to head north to Canada instead. The exchange rate is 0.86 USD to 1 Canadian dollar, and we've always wanted to visit Vancouver & Banff.

Next year, though, it's back to Europe!

Search this Thread