Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Travel Tips & Trip Ideas (https://www.fodors.com/community/travel-tips-and-trip-ideas/)
-   -   iPhone and iPad - to bring or not to bring... (https://www.fodors.com/community/travel-tips-and-trip-ideas/iphone-and-ipad-to-bring-or-not-to-bring-882548/)

tlayton35 Mar 18th, 2011 10:03 AM

iPhone and iPad - to bring or not to bring...

So I am having an internal conflict about bringing my iPad and or iPhone. I am going with my boyfriend who also has an iPhone (3Gs) and I have a 4G, and we are tring to find out if there is a way to hack it so we can use it Europe without paying crazy fees (from canadian carrier). We think it would be useful to have the data capabilities on the iphone (such as maps) while moving around from place to place... the only thing is we are going to London, Paris, Italy, Greece, Istanbul, Germany, possibly Vienna and Prague, and Amsterdam (the countries I mentioned we are in multiple cities). Is there a data plan with a carrier we can get that is Europe wide for data? We are spending the most time in italy, so if not, atleast one for italy would be good...

Next. I want to bring my ipad because I want to have all of our bookings/itineraries and everything stored on it so I can just reference it whenever I want. I can go on the internet via Wifi (are there lots of places with wifi in the places I am going?) and find hostels/hotels etc. I am a planning freak and I feel I need to have access to all my planning and information at all times. My boyfriend things bringing the ipad is a bad idea because it will get stolen (allegedly) and we have to carry it (come on its so small).

We are doing train transportation, 2 night trains, and some flights in Europe, if that makes any difference with stealing potential. We will be staying in hostels mostly and hotels only if theyre cheap. I plan to carry a day bag around everywhere so I could always bring it with me then...
what does anyone think?

julia1 Mar 18th, 2011 01:15 PM

If your iphone (or boyfriend's) service is with ATT, you can add 20MB per billing month international data service for $24.99 or 50MB for $59.99. It's pretty much world-wide. Over the past three years I've used it throughout Eastern as well as western Europe, Turkey, Greece, Morocco (although I notice that isn't listed now), Dubai, Thailand, South Africa, Zambia. About the only places I haven't found service have been Zimbabwe, Botswana, Iran and Vietnam. It's pretty easy to stay within the limit because wifi is so widely available.

If your iphone is not ATT, you probably don't have global capability.

All the things you mentioned storing on your ipad can be just as easily stored and accessed on your iphone.

If you leave your ipad sitting around, you're taking a chance it will disappear, just as if it were a netbook, MacBook Air, iphone, diamond bracelet or any other easily pocketed valuable.

thursdaysd Mar 18th, 2011 02:41 PM

Can't help with iPhone. I've been traveling for the last six months with a netbook (I didn't like the typing-on-glass thing with the iPad). Similar issues with theft.

What I do: when not traveling it stays locked in my back pack, unless I have a hotel room with a safe big enough to hold it (very rare). On travel days it goes in my day pack/carry-on. For flights all my electronics are in there too - that includes power cords, battery chargers etc. etc... If I have doubts about where I'm staying I only use the netbook in my room - most cheaper places have wifi, pricier places charge for it (go figure that one!)

tlayton35 Mar 18th, 2011 03:49 PM

thanks for the advice! I think i will end up taking the ipad. As far as the iphone goes... no i dont not have ATT since we dont have that in Canada... Yes it does have international capability though, but carriers here charge a lot more. $100 for 10MB, and im not paying that. Does anyone know if I can jailbreak it and get a european SIM card??

thursdaysd Mar 18th, 2011 04:06 PM

I think there's info on how to jail break available on the web, but I also think you void your warranty if you do it.

qwovadis Mar 19th, 2011 05:59 AM

Always take my I Phone and I Pad and insuremytrip.com

they are a theft magnet.

Cheap to use phone as long as you use the airline feature

do not leave your 3G turned on all the time very expensive

to roam over there...same for I Pad lots of free wifi

usually get best deals usually free wifi in good hotels

bidding Priceline.com

thursdaysd Mar 19th, 2011 09:11 AM

"usually free wifi in good hotels" - exactly backwards. Usually free wifi in hostels, B&Bs, pensions, guesthouses and budget hotels. Usually ridiculously high charges in "name" hotels. I suppose they think business travelers will just pay up. (I go round the corner to an internet cafe in Asia but they're getting harder to find in Europe.)

Bisbeee Mar 21st, 2011 04:14 AM

Jailbreak me.com, if your firmwear isn't updated past 4.01.

cabovacation Mar 22nd, 2011 09:13 PM

You should be able to get a sim card when you get to your destination.

jahlie Mar 24th, 2011 01:23 PM

When traveling internationally I use my iPhone primarily for texting and email. Before leaving, I go to my online account and sign up for the international texting plan that costs $10. It isn't unlimited so watch out! The plan is good for 50 messages, which for me (certainly not my daughter) is plenty. Business trips would obviously require more communication options. Then, when I get home I just go back into my online account and discontinue the plan. Be mindful to turn off the data roaming and "fetch new data" settings on your iPhone when you board your flight for overseas...if not, you'll have a big surprise when you get your next bill. Also, to check/send email or browse Safari, you can hook up to any free wifi with your iPhone. It's not that complicated but limited and expensive if you're not careful to turn off the data roaming/fetching functions.