Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Travel Tips & Trip Ideas (https://www.fodors.com/community/travel-tips-and-trip-ideas/)
-   -   IDEAS FOR SUMMER VACATION (https://www.fodors.com/community/travel-tips-and-trip-ideas/ideas-for-summer-vacation-824106/)

stefyb Jan 29th, 2010 05:51 PM

IDEAS FOR SUMMER VACATION

I WANT TO GO ON VACATION THIS SUMMER WE NORMALY DO A CRUISE OR DISNEY BUT LOOKING AT MAYBE CANCUN,COZUMEL OR PEURTO RICO, IM NERVOUS BECAUSE I DONT KNOW WHAT IS A GOOD HOTEL OR GOOD AREAS, I HAVE KIDS GOING THEY ARE ALL OLDER TEENS MY YOUNGEST WILL BE GRADUATING HIGH SCHOOL IN JUNE, WOULD PROBABLY LIKE ALL INCLUSIVE

frogoutofwater Jan 29th, 2010 06:02 PM

stefyb - Just a suggestion - writing all in capital letters is generally interpreted in online forums as yelling.

As for providing you with recommendations, you're more likely to get useful advice if you provide more information about things like: a) your price range for hotels and how many rooms you need to book; b) what you do and don't like to do; and c) maybe where you're travelling from, so someone can suggest a destination that's an easy trip from where you're base.

stefyb Jan 29th, 2010 06:47 PM

Ok, new to this sry..... im traveling from New Jersey, i would like to keep my price range around 1000 pp, we like water sports snorkeling and such i would need 3 rooms theres not much i dont like so i will not post anything for dislikes.... and i would like to travel July 3 maybe 5-7 days.....

thursdaysd Jan 29th, 2010 08:15 PM

You will get more replies if you post on the Mexico and Central America board.

Have you looked at any guidebooks? Start at your library or sit in your local Barnes and Noble with a cup of coffee and a selection of the glossy guides with lots of pictures. Once you've decided where to go you can start reading the ones with lots of text to decide where to stay. Also click on Destinations at the top of this page.

You do realize that traveling over holidays is more expensive and more crowded than other times?

stefyb Jan 30th, 2010 08:32 PM

I didnt want to travel near the 4th holiday, however one personin our party is very limited to whenhe can get off from work.... 4th of July week is the only week he is able to get off he works for a huge butter company and he is low man on totem pole so he gets to pick his weeks last that was the only week available..............Im not happy not much else i can do!!! i have cruised and been to several places, this willbe our first land vacation other then Disney... but i will check out travel books at the library thanks

thursdaysd Jan 31st, 2010 05:04 AM

Welcome to fodors - and the joys of overland travel! Do post on the other board after you've spent some time with the books. You'll get better answers if you're more specific. Take a look now and read some of the trip reports.

suze Jan 31st, 2010 08:33 AM

I think Cancun, Playa del Carmen, Cozumel, that stretch of Mexico on the Caribbean side might be good.

Besides guidebooks, pick up a copy of Budget Travel magazine. They always have a section that showcases packaged/allinclusive trips, you might get some ideas there.

judydolce Feb 4th, 2010 11:02 AM

If you want a budget-friendly family trip, home swapping would be your best bet. You save so much on accommodations, food, and travel. If you own a home, you have a home. I have done three home swaps already, and my last one was in Paris through www.RoofSwap.com. They have everything you need to know about home swapping and how to prepare for one. Good luck on finding your next summer vacation.