Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Travel Tips & Trip Ideas (https://www.fodors.com/community/travel-tips-and-trip-ideas/)
-   -   Ideal Vacation in July? (https://www.fodors.com/community/travel-tips-and-trip-ideas/ideal-vacation-in-july-516721/)

Solobydefault Mar 29th, 2005 08:10 AM

Ideal Vacation in July?

I have ten days in July and a ton of frequent flyer miles. I haven't done any international solo travel and am a bit timid about it, but I am ready to try! I prefer travelling with friends but it seems at this point in my life it is too complicated. Tired of last minute cancellations by friends, I am ready to attempt international solo travel. Any suggestions as to where to go for the timid first time solo traveller? Where would you go if you had ten days in July?

Grasshopper Mar 29th, 2005 08:51 AM

Hi solobydefault! What a good opportunity to try this out. It's difficult to make suggestions that another person might like. My next destinations usually find me. I'll share with you the two that are calling to me now and you can see if they might appeal.

A couple of years ago I spent 10 days (solo) mostly in Switzerland. I flew to CDG (easy direct flights) and immediately took the train to Lyon. After a nice dinner in Vieux Lyon and a visit to the Basilica on the hill, I spent the night and then trained to Geneva. I spent one night there (in hindsight maybe Lausanne would have been better). Then I took one of the most amazing train rides I've ever taken to Locarno; connecting in Dormodossolo with the Centovalli Train. After 4 days in Locarno I took a train to Vevey/Montreux where I spent 4 days on Lac Leman. Then I trained to Paris for my last night. July is a great time of year for all of these places.

I'm also eager to try a cooking class in Italy. I found one in Naples that I'm really interested in by watching the Food Network. There are so many. From there you could visit Pompeii, Capri, Procida, Ischia, the Amalfi Coast.... Lots of options. These places will be crowded in July.

Once you decide what speaks to you, come back and let Fodorites share with you lots of ideas for making your first solo trip more comfortable and eventful.

Linda05 Mar 29th, 2005 09:12 AM

Hi Solobydefault, I think that if you find the right trip for you, and maybe have some things planned in advance, then you'll be less timid about traveling alone internationally. What things appeal to you about traveling? For me, I love to see how beautiful the world is, but I am not so much into museums, etc.

My last trip was to Norway and Iceland in September. Would you ever consider it? I am not sure how much daylight there is in July, but it'd definitely be the majority of a 24 hour period. Aside from being so beautiful, practically everyone there speaks English, so that would make it easier on you for your first international solo trip. There's also so much to do, especially if you like outdoorsy trips. You can travel btw. cities by train, and there are also day trips by boat into fjords.

Iceland is also great for solo travel. Lots of day trips that you can take. One day I rode an Icelandic horse, the next I took a 4X4 jeep tour for half a day, to a glacier and into as isolated a part of the world as I've ever been.

Despite the fact that I was solo, I never felt alone. I've taken other trips where I've driven around entirely on my own and did feel quite alone.

Everyone is different though. I hope you plan yourself a great trip and enjoy every minute of it.

cambe Mar 29th, 2005 09:36 AM

Paris London, Berlin, Rome or any city that you fancy. You will find lots of things to do in a big city and you won't be lonely. However, if you want adventure I sort of agree with Grasshopper's advice, go to a big international airport and take a train to wherever you fancy but do read up on the various destinations before you go. Have a lovely rip

suze Mar 29th, 2005 10:59 AM

No doubt in my mind, I would go to Paris! And pick a hotel in the 7th arrondisement (Eiffle Tower area).

It would be a great city for a first time solo trip. Extremely interesting but not intimidating IMO. Easy to see on foot without making any elaborate plans ahead.

Solobydefault Mar 29th, 2005 07:13 PM

Wow, already such good responses! Thanks so much! I'll start my research on these places. I also prefer the beauty of places with minimal museum visits . . . unless it is the Louvre!

suze Mar 30th, 2005 10:27 AM

Not even the Louvre (for me)... You can still love Paris without setting foot in a museum (I do, and I didn't!).

suze Mar 30th, 2005 10:29 AM

We've been focusing on Europe for you, but I'll toss in... I have found solo female travel fairly easy for beach vacations (Puerto Vallarta, Mexico and Waikiki on Oahu are favorites)... but not so good for July better for warm weather get-aways in winter.

zbjoon Mar 30th, 2005 01:12 PM

Solobydefault – I actually got started on my solo travel like you. I refused couple of friends who wanted to join me in my solo trips later not out of vengeance but only because I liked the solo travel better.
Have you considered resorts at all? It might be a good start. I actually was pleasantly surprised by a Club Med vacation in Mexico several years ago. They have other locations all over the world. You have people around in a more controlled setting and you are also alone.
If you do not feel like museums, another option is Greek islands. I have done Santorini, Mykonos and Corfu solo and found them simple trips. In 10 days, You will be able to do Santorini, Mykonos and another island in south easily.

Solobydefault Apr 15th, 2005 06:56 AM

I think I am a worry wart by nature, thinking of all the possible things that go wrong. For example: what do you do with your room key and money when you are alone on the beach and want to go in the water? How do you do the Amalfi coast alone if you don't speak Italian . . . etc. Any helpful or reassuring hints?

cambe Apr 15th, 2005 07:36 AM

How do you do the Amalfi Coast if you are alone and don't speak Italian???

Well, I am doing just that in July.

1. Be well organised before you go
2. Take print outs of the various train, bus and boat time tables. Check my name on Foders Europe and you will find all the web adresses that people have sent me.
3. Read a good guide book of the area
4. Scan all the threads on Foders Europe (there are hundreds)
5. Pre book your hotels
6. Check out the various festivals in the area (I love classical music and there is a Wagner Festival in Ravello which is my main reason for going)
7. Check the web for any no go areas (there are some dodgy areas outside the main town of Sorrento and Naples)
8. Buy a phrase book.

What to do with your money and Keys if you want to go for a swim??

1. Leave your money. cards, passport and tickets in the hotel safe.
2. Carry only a small amount of change for a coffee etc.
3. Leave your hotel keys at the hotel desk.

I am really looking forward to my trip amd have a host of things lined up to do when I get there.

Enjoy your trip and don't worry about the laungage - lots of people will speak English and if they don't use your phrase book or point to the particular phrase and you will get by - believe me!!

zbjoon Apr 15th, 2005 11:37 AM

My experience has been that as long as you know English you are all set. Phrase book is big help though. I only started taking a phrase book in my last trip and it was great to have it and I will always take one from here onward. You only need to talk to the natives about simple daily stuff. If all fails, the last resort is the universal language of pointing and showing what you need with gestures:) It might appear silly but it works.

Regarding swimming and your belongings, I am not concerned at all about my towel and clothes. I have a small water proof money holder that is built for wearing around the neck in water. It holds one credit card, a copy of the first page of my passport, hotel key and/or safe key if they are small, and some money. It is secure and water cannot go inside and I hang it around my neck and wear it to the water. I will leave everything else of value in my safe in the hotel. Staying in a hotel with safe deposit box is important in beach destinations for solos.

Grasshopper Apr 15th, 2005 12:25 PM

I am so jealous of you two! What a great destination. I am just dying to go take a cooking class in Naples and then spend some time in Sorrento or even Procida. I am looking forward to your trip reports.

propertravel Apr 15th, 2005 01:54 PM

Hi Solo,
Turkey is a good choice. You wont regret your vacation here. You might get some invitation by Turkish Man man and its up to you to favour these invites for a chat, a drink or meal. Thats all. ýstanbul, Cappadocia and Med. coast would be a highlight of your itinerary.

Happy Travelling

Murat

Grasshopper Apr 16th, 2005 11:38 AM

For you to Amalfi Coast travelers, Have you seen Sea Urchin's photos? They will get you very excited for your trips.

www.pbase.com/seaurchin

cambe Apr 16th, 2005 03:20 PM

Thank you Grasshopper.

They certainly have got me excited about my trip.

My problem at the moment is that I have been scaning so many posts on Foders that I am changing my itinerary daily but I will get it right by July

Thanks once again the photographs were wonderful.

Solobydefault Apr 17th, 2005 04:08 PM

The ideas are great, now I am having a hard time deciding which is a great problem to have! I have been browsing other threads and they all sound good, and the pictures people post are great too! The Amalfi coast sounds wonderful but then so does Provence. I am trying my best to avoid the temptation to go to a large tourist city though since it is my first international solo venture. I think the language barrier is my biggest fear, I have no reservations about travelling solo in the US or Canada. I want this first trip overseas solo to go well, so that this can be a new hobby for me! Thanks again for everyone's ideas! I need to keep repeating to myself, "I will not chicken out, I will not chicken out . . ."

Solobydefault Apr 17th, 2005 04:22 PM

Here is another thing . . . how is it renting and driving overseas? My passenger experiences have all been in large cities (Paris, Ondon, etc.) and they were scary for this nervous driver.

Grasshopper Apr 17th, 2005 04:58 PM

Solo, Consider this; cities are actually easier for solos because there are single people all over, living their lives. If you pick a place where most people are in pairs it can be a bit of a challenge. For example, if I were going solo, I would pick Sorrento over Positano. Sorrento is a place where Italians live and work and spend their days. Positano is a place where couples go. You can always visit the other places by bus.

Don't worry about the language barrier. You'll be amazed at how many people speak English. But do start learning a few basic words and phrases. Start with "please", "thank you" and "do you speak english"!

Solobydefault Apr 17th, 2005 07:09 PM

Wow, you read my mind. I was also going to post about suggestions for areas that aren't so full of couples (but I was afraid I was already sounding too negative!). I hit that problem when renting a mountain cabin for me and two friends a couple of years ago. Apparently small cabins are only for romantic couples! Needless to say we went to the beach instead! I can see it now . . . enjoying Capri and staying at a hotel full of honeymooners, or better yet during a wedding!